Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pros and Cons of a good Cup Run

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Biggest Pro is if we beat a decent Premiership club and do it on TV, this will be counteracted by the biggest Con. Do we really want the magic that Gus has weaved being seen by millions when Premiership clubs will be sacking managers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Biggest con, is looking at Leeds cup run last year.
They couldn't string 2 passes together for weeks/months after the Utd games.

The FA Cup is magical - and I for one want a decent cup run.

If Gus and the club are not going to take it serioulsy, please let me know, as I intend to go to Every cup game (and I hope there are a load), but I dont want to waste my money if we are not tring our best.

BTW. I have no objections to a few sqad changes - but I really dont expect to see another Leyton/Northampton cup debacle.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Biggest Pro is if we beat a decent Premiership club and do it on TV, this will be counteracted by the biggest Con. Do we really want the magic that Gus has weaved being seen by millions when Premiership clubs will be sacking managers.

I hope your not serious when you say that if we are not on the TV then they will forget about Gus when looking for a new manager. ???

Out of sight..............

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Pros - Maintaining momentum, and confidence, depending on the draw bringing in some decent money, the further we go the more likely we are to get on TV (more money! more people able to watch, more fans attracted to possibly watching us at falmer),
Cons - Distractions, potential for injuries playing on uneven lower/non league pitches, potential for embarrassments turning off fans (who wants to go to falmer to watch a team that can't beat woking?!), fixture backlog, tired/unfocused players, other teams scouting our players when they wouldn't have otherwise

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

If Gus and the club are not going to take it serioulsy, please let me know, as I intend to go to Every cup game (and I hope there are a load), but I dont want to waste my money if we are not tring our best.

BTW. I have no objections to a few sqad changes - but I really dont expect to see another Leyton/Northampton cup debacle.

I'm with you on that. It is not only about who plays but on the attitude to the game and that comes from the top. The FA Cup is special and we should show it due respect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope your not serious when you say that if we are not on the TV then they will forget about Gus when looking for a new manager. ???

Out of sight..............

Obviously not but the media hype would be enormous imo, which would only push up the chances of a club wanting to take a chance on him.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Don't give a damn about the FA cup, the league is the priority.

If we lose to Woking I would think..."meh".

In fact I hope we do put out our reserve team so that we can see how strong our depth is! :thumbsup:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Pros - Maintaining momentum, and confidence, depending on the draw bringing in some decent money, the further we go the more likely we are to get on TV (more money! more people able to watch, more fans attracted to possibly watching us at falmer),
Cons - Distractions, potential for injuries playing on uneven lower/non league pitches, potential for embarrassments turning off fans (who wants to go to falmer to watch a team that can't beat woking?!), fixture backlog, tired/unfocused players, other teams scouting our players when they wouldn't have otherwise

Spot on there really.
I'm stuck in two minds about this, as has been said the FA cup is special and isn't like the JPT and the League cup and I would be slightly disappointed if Gus treats it as he did with them.
On the other hand, as has also been said, the likliness for injuries, players getting tired etc increases and we should probably be focusing more on the league this year.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Well prepare to be disappointed, my guess is 8 changes from last Saturday's game.

If we are in the Championship next season, I don't give a flying **** if we lose to Woking.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love the FA Cup and am gutted some of the magic seems to have gone in the last 10 yrs or so. However I honestly wouldn't mind atall if we get knocked out early (not embarrasingly by Woking) but in round 2 to a team in our lg or in round 3 to a championship team. I just really think we should concentrate on the lg. Depending on the draw we should def play fringe players like Smith and Baz - Def for the Woking game.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Im not really fussed but i would love one crack at one of United,Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal...........I know that City and Spurs are probably above Liverpool now but one of the old top four would be a perfect end to the withdean era.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
While obviously it would be great to have a good cup run and our league form continue, Leeds showed last year that it is often one of the other. Look at Northampton, who are in the League Cup fourth round and beat Liverpool in round three but are second bottom of League 2.

The best thing for us in the FA Cup, if we beat Woking, is a similar draw in round 2 followed by a close defeat to one of the big teams in round 3 (like the Villa game last year). That way we can concentrate on the league after the beginning of January and only miss one league game which many will also do in our league.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Get to the third round beating lesser sides. Draw Arsenal away in the third round, lose a nine goal thriller 5-4. We have had a great day out, we have only had one league game rearranged (Yeovil away) and we can then concentrate on the league for the last four months. Everybody's happy.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I know the FA cup is special and all, but I really, really want to get promoted this year. I know, we all do, every year, but next season is special. More special than the FA cup, and to go into it on the back of promotion and running out at our brand new stadium in the second flight.....I just really want that to happen, and the cup might just get in the way a bit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Get to the third round beating lesser sides. Draw Arsenal away in the third round, lose a nine goal thriller 5-4. We have had a great day out, we have only had one league game rearranged (Yeovil away) and we can then concentrate on the league for the last four months. Everybody's happy.

This.

I was gonna say quite happy to negotiate the early rounds then get knocked out by a "bigger" or higher placed Champ club or Prem in the 3rd round.

Preferably away from home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here