Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pros and Cons of a good Cup Run

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't give a damn about the FA cup, the league is the priority.

If we lose to Woking I would think..."meh".

In fact I hope we do put out our reserve team so that we can see how strong our depth is! :thumbsup:

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs when League 1 team's supporters are dismissing the FA Cup.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'm delighted Gus is fielding a reserve side again in this competition.We simply don't have enough depth to our squad to cope.If we get knocked out big deal.Games come thick and fast around that time of year and bigger teams tend to find form as well.Lets hope our main rivals have cup runs.It nice to see Hudders and Wendies still in the JPT and i hope both progress again.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Obviously I don't want to see us going out to a lesser side in any round but I wouldn't be too upset in a club from a higher league knocked us out in Round Three. You only have to look back last season with Leeds. A magnificent win at Old Trafford (was painful typing that) but what a struggle they ended up with getting promoted.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It's a bit of a sad state of affairs when League 1 team's supporters are dismissing the FA Cup.

I'm not disimissing it, but I would rather get promoted. See Leeds last season for what nearly happened due to their cup run...no thanks!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Really????

Was losing to Manchester United in a replayed Final more of a downer than drawing at Canvey Island or losing at Kingstonian in 1994????

I think not!
:facepalm:

You still don't get it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But that wasn't anything to do with the cup run. It was because we weren't a very good First Division side. We were going down months before the cup final.

Anyway I want to win the FA Cup, and win League 1 (different page on CEEFAX scores at long last at least). What the last 3rd division side to get to the cup final?

if its about relegation from Division 1, then at the time we did not give a stuff. Getting to the Cup Final was a far bigger deal.

and anyway, we went bottom of Division 1 on the day that we won the semi final. WHICH EVENT DO YO THINK GOT MORE PRESS COVERAGE???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not disimissing it, but I would rather get promoted. See Leeds last season for what nearly happened due to their cup run...no thanks!

And I'm sure there are other teams who have been energized by a cup run.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And I'm sure there are other teams who have been energized by a cup run.

There was a similar discussion regarding the jpt, I did some research:

How linked is league finish to JPT success?

2001–02: Blackpool - Finished 16th
*2002–03: Bristol City - FINISHED 3RD
2003–04: Blackpool - Finished 14th
2004–05: Wrexham - FINISHED 22ND
*2005–06: Swansea City - FINISHED 6TH
2006–07: Doncaster Rovers - Finished 11th
*2007–08: Milton Keynes Dons - FINISHED 1ST
2008–09: Luton Town - FINISHED BOTTOM
*2009–10: Southampton - Finished 7th - with a ten point deduction (would have finished 5th with it)

So, in the last 9 years, 3 finishes were promotion candidates, 2 finishes resulted in relegation, 3 were "mid"table, and last year's was Southampton who were only outside a promotion spot due to a points deduction.

Leeds may no have won the division last year, but they still managed to get promoted, despite dropping into the play off zones. Did the confidence of the successes in that cup run give them the strength to get the wins they needed toward the end of the season?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There are no negatives of a good cup run - it's a myth perpetuated in recent years by Premiership managers.

You get the very odd example like Leeds (or us in 83), but generally FA form mirrors that of the league.

There was some research a few years ago, that blew the "concentrate on the league" myth out the water.

I'd like to see us play a full strength team in as many games as we are in it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hear hear Clapham. Blimey I think some people on this thread would be better off supporting Bolton or Blackburn or any of those clubs that put Premier League survival over the FA Cup. I'm with Storer 68, a decent Cup run would be brilliant and I'd love to do what Leeds did last year. I'd happily sacrifice a few league games (and still get promoted as Leeds did) if in return we beat Man U at Old Trafford. That would be MUCH better than just miserably conceding any chance of Cup glory.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Gus plays the reserves or the youth team so as to concentrqate on the league, I wouldn't mind TOO much - but I rather hope we go for it....best team, well up for it.....winning is a habit, so let's keep doing it! The odd defeat is going to happen, and the worst that can happen from a good cup run is that you get beaten once, and once only.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyone on four bookings? Would be awful if they got booked in the 92nd minute against Exeter and had to miss the Woking match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here