Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Property Prices...The Great North/South Divide!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I was thinking about property prices down south compared to the north. I have spent more or less the past 3 years living in the north of england. First of all we rented a large victorian cottage in the cheshire countryside in a small villiage called Bollington,Near Macclesfield.

Set in the backdrop of gorgeous rolling hills and great walks around the canals and foothills of the cheshire countryside. All this for £550 per month...I was on 20k a year..so the money was good.

Then spent the rest of my time in Manchester...again paying a very small amount for rent and having what I consider to be the best city in the uk right on my doorstep....

The downfall for me was the attitude of some of the people that I come accross...at times I found them very rude,abbrupt and generally arrogant..But they say the same about us..so thats life..

The weather isnt as nice up north....but being down south is hardly like being in Madeira.....

The thing is I just find it a big shame for people who dont own property in Brighton or sussex as a whole...I dont think I will ever live there properly due to the fact I wouldnt want a hand to mouth existance while I live in a tiny flat that Im paying 120k for....that I could easily get 3 bed house for in a nice area of the countryside.

What are your thoughts....not that this can really be fair..due to the fact most proberly own a house..and got it before it went silly!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Yep. I've got a two-bedroomed terraced house in Carlisle which I bought with the intention of living in and then let out after my job transferred to London. The rent don a one-bed flat down here is more or less double the mortgage payments on the place in Cumbria. There's never likely to be enough equity in it to form a deposit on anything in London.

The south-east almost has its own economy, driven by London and buy-to-letters/City bonuses etc. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the market is flooded with ex buy-to-lets that people can no longer afford the interest repayments on over the next year or so.

Oct 25, 2003
my rent next year (in newcastle) certainly isn't cheap! i think that newcastle is expensive for a northern town/city so the prices there aren't really reflective of the area as a whole

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I was thinking about property prices down south compared to the north. I have spent more or less the past 3 years living in the north of england. First of all we rented a large victorian cottage in the cheshire countryside in a small villiage called Bollington,Near Macclesfield.

Set in the backdrop of gorgeous rolling hills and great walks around the canals and foothills of the cheshire countryside. All this for £550 per month...I was on 20k a year..so the money was good.

Then spent the rest of my time in Manchester...again paying a very small amount for rent and having what I consider to be the best city in the uk right on my doorstep....

The downfall for me was the attitude of some of the people that I come accross...at times I found them very rude,abbrupt and generally arrogant..But they say the same about us..so thats life..

The weather isnt as nice up north....but being down south is hardly like being in Madeira.....

The thing is I just find it a big shame for people who dont own property in Brighton or sussex as a whole...I dont think I will ever live there properly due to the fact I wouldnt want a hand to mouth existance while I live in a tiny flat that Im paying 120k for....that I could easily get 3 bed house for in a nice area of the countryside.

What are your thoughts....not that this can really be fair..due to the fact most proberly own a house..and got it before it went silly!
Being the fact you are a born again christian???i would suggest you marry this new religous girlfriend and you should get brothering help with buying a place:laugh:

Thats how it works:drink:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I found in cheshire and manchester combined. My quality/standard of living is much higher. For me that is what it is all about....being able to afford things and do what you what..within reason...

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Being the fact you are a born again christian???i would suggest you marry this new religous girlfriend and you should get brothering help with buying a place:laugh:

Thats how it works:drink:

Enjoy mocking someone for believing in something you know nothing about, do you?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
2 bed 2 bathroom,or should i say one is en-suit:lol:
mind you it has a balcony on the thames,so thats why:D

More fool you for paying it mate!

As far as im concerened the prices in the south do not match value for money these days. People who bought down south in the 80's walked away with what has turned out to be some incredible bargains..but these days..its not worth the cash imho.

For the same cash....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-14241275.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=rent

choices choices!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
:laugh:considering i work for strict christians who go to church every day i think i do???

Oh sorry....you must be just ignorant towards other peoples feelings then...my mistake!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
:laugh:not at all,as your born again does that mean you wear nappies again?:laugh:

Have moved in to actually buy this place,its around 310k:D

Sorry mate. You seem very boring & extremely ignorant.

Ooooo thats cheap!

Enjoy your 300k FLAT, In reading!!!!!!

:laugh:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Sorry mate. You seem very boring & extremely ignorant.

Ooooo thats cheap!

Enjoy your 300k FLAT, In reading!!!!!!

:laugh:
Its all fun,but goodluck in your quest to rebuild your life and don't forget swearing and shagging around is forbidden:whisky:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Its all fun,but goodluck in your quest to rebuild your life and don't forget swearing and shagging around is forbidden:whisky:

Thank you.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Let me tell you that property prices were always silly - nothing is new.

My first house (2 bed terrace off Lewes Road) was £7750. At the time, as a new graduate, I was earning £1250 per year.

I couldn't afford it, but lived hand to mouth for a couple of years. I trudged the streets in the evenings selling Betterware and bought the entire contents of a flat for £10 to furnish my place (you can imaging the quality).

Things soon got better.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think the best bargains can be found in the Rhonda.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Oh sorry....you must be just ignorant towards other peoples feelings then...my mistake!

How typical of a Born Again Christian to patronize a Christian who hasn't just jumped on a God Bothering Bandwagon. No wonder so many people deride religion in all it's forms, if you can't show some unity within your own faith then it just shows what a load of crap it is.

Oh, and before you start the 'ignorance' refrain let be just let you know that I am a happily relapsed Catholic who was force fed Christianity at an early age but was thankfully intelligent enough to realize what what a load of bollocks all religion is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here