Votes: 6 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 89.5%

• Total voters

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
In your life time, do you think its possible to ever see a team PROMOTED from the Championship, winning the PREMIER LEAGUE in the following season?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's happened before the Premier League era i.e. a team winning the First Division championship. It could happen again but that side would have to be bankrolled to the eyeballs and have someone like a young Mourinho at the helm.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Unlikely but perfectly possible. For instance if a multi-gazillionaire decided he (she) wanted to play with for example Ipswich. They may build a team of super talent and take the league by storm. Simples

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think it's highly unlikely.

But I do think, because of how we play, that we have a realistic chance of challenging for a Champions League place within a few years of going up. Big ask, and not likely, but if we keep improving, and if we continue Gus's passing game, and if we continue to attract quality players, we are probably in the best position to do something like this than any other club rising through the divisions in recent times.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Can you name who and the year ??

Ohhh, let me think. We used to have to recite this at school after doing the times table:

1932 Everton
1962 Ipswich Town
1978 Nottingham Forest

I've a suspicion Man City in the 1930s might be there. Not sure. They definitely won the League and then got relegated the following season, though.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Can you name who and the year ??

Jack Walker's Blackburn with King Kenny at the helm. First year of the Premiership.

edit - memories are a funny thing aren't they, could have sworn it was the first year but might have mixed them up with Newcastle in the Keegan era.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Jack Walker's Blackburn with King Kenny at the helm. First year of the Premiership.

I am pretty sure they had a season in which they finished in a high position before they won it.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I am pretty sure they had a season in which they finished in a high position before they won it.

Indeed, looked it up, 4th then 2nd, then winners. I remembered the edited highlights as it wasn't even the first one, it was the third.

D

Deleted member 18477

No. Won't happen the following season after promotion.

Could obviously happen a few seasons after though.

The reason why I think this is because history tells us that most championships teams have a team that generally struggles after going up the first season. So realistically a team would need to sign 20 players as you need a decent squad to win the prem not just 11 good first teamers. A team to go up from the championship and buy 20 decent players which needs to include around 4-5 world class players that arent just motivated by money and that can suddenly form a playing relationship with one another? Can't see it happening.

Lets go through the teams world class players currently... Players that would walk in to most squads in the world...

Man Utd - Van Persie, Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Hernandez, Ferdinand

Man City - David Silva, Y.Toure, Kompany, Hart, Aguero, Tevez

Chelsea - Cech, A.Cole, Hazard, Mata, Lampard, Terry

Arsenal - Wilshire, Walcott?

Liverpool - Suarez, Gerrard

Chelsea and Man city have both had money for a few years. Did they win the title after one season of spending big? Nope and they were already established premier league teams!

QPR's owner is a rich fucker and his team currently sit bottom of the league.

It's easy to say with money it could be done... But has it ever all clicked into place after only 1 season of spending big?

Last edited by a moderator:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Really can't see it. Even if a club strikes it rich with new owners the turnover of new players required in the Premiership the following season probably means that it would be very hard to create a cohesive unit in such a short space of time. To a certain extent we have already seen this with Man City. They got there in the end but it took a little while.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Leeds had a single season in the top flight before winning the League in 1992. I think that's the closest I can remember.

So, to answer the OP's question, a team would have to have an element in their play that would catch people by surprise to help them enjoy a prolonged honeymoon period. Then, as mentioned before, they would be managed by some dynamic manager who already has the X factor, and this is his first job but he is destined for much greater things. Then, due to the nature of the Premier League, his club would have to be backed financially by some sugar daddy on the scale of Man City's investment. If all of these ingredients were in place, then it could happen.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Remember Hull in their first season in the Prem? Weren't they sitting in 3rd (maybe 5th) in November/December time? Started well but obviously trailed off.. But if they could have carried on their "luck" (they beat a few top teams, I remember Giovanni's free-kick against Arsenal!) you never know!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here