Votes: 6 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 89.5%

• Total voters

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wonder if any promoted side will ever finish in the top 4 !

Ipswich made it to fifth after promotion about ten years ago. I loved that side they had!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nottingham Forest (under Brian Clough) promoted from old Div.2 (3rd place) in season 1976/77. Champions Div.1 the following year, 1977/78.

I remember that so well - and the next season won the European Cup too. So Forest went from 2nd Division to European champions in two seasons, that will never happen again.

And he nearly did before, his Derby team got promoted to the 1st and finished 4th in their first season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The problem for even a mega rich team, is convincing the top players, who demand Champions League football, that they'll get to the top of the premiership in the first year. They have to persuade those players before the season starts, and persuade the first few while there's currently no such talent at the club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The problem for even a mega rich team, is convincing the top players, who demand Champions League football, that they'll get to the top of the premiership in the first year. They have to persuade those players before the season starts, and persuade the first few while there's currently no such talent at the club.

Oh, I don't know. If you offered the players between £350k and £500k a week, I'm sure there'd be a few top players interested in that. You could put together a top side for about £6 - £7 billion over a couple of years - throw in a decent coach and it could be possible.

When you think that Bill Gates was worth more than $40 billion at one point, it's within the bounds of possibilities that someone could be that rich.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Ipswich made it to fifth after promotion about ten years ago. I loved that side they had!

Not the most memorable team. Was that John warks second coming, played cb if I remember ?? Other than him and chris kywomya. Don't recall anybody else, maybe that Bulgarian whose daughter is a British tennis player ??

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No. Won't happen the following season after promotion.

Could obviously happen a few seasons after though.

The reason why I think this is because history tells us that most championships teams have a team that generally struggles after going up the first season. So realistically a team would need to sign 20 players as you need a decent squad to win the prem not just 11 good first teamers. A team to go up from the championship and buy 20 decent players which needs to include around 4-5 world class players that arent just motivated by money and that can suddenly form a playing relationship with one another? Can't see it happening.

Lets go through the teams world class players currently... Players that would walk in to most squads in the world...

Man Utd - Van Persie, Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Hernandez, Ferdinand

Man City - David Silva, Y.Toure, Kompany, Hart, Aguero, Tevez

Chelsea - Cech, A.Cole, Hazard, Mata, Lampard, Terry

Arsenal - Wilshire, Walcott?

Liverpool - Suarez, Gerrard

Chelsea and Man city have both had money for a few years. Did they win the title after one season of spending big? Nope and they were already established premier league teams!

QPR's owner is a rich fucker and his team currently sit bottom of the league.

It's easy to say with money it could be done... But has it ever all clicked into place after only 1 season of spending big?

Suggesting that Gerrard would walk into any team in the world casts a shadow of doubt over your post. Same with Lampard.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh, I don't know. ... You could put together a top side for about £6 - £7 billion over a couple of years
But a couple of years isn't fast enough. They need to be ready for the start of the first season in the premiership.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But a couple of years isn't fast enough. They need to be ready for the start of the first season in the premiership.

I was assuming that very few people would join a club for a one-year contract - even on that sort of money

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was assuming that very few people would join a club for a one-year contract - even on that sort of money
I'm not sure what you mean. Like you say, money talks, so how would the scenario you're proposing work - when do the players join the club, and when do they win what?

D

Deleted member 18477

Suggesting that Gerrard would walk into any team in the world casts a shadow of doubt over your post. Same with Lampard.

Get real! Gerrard and Lampard would walk into man Utds squad or arsenals or all of the Italian top teams. Only team they wouldn't is probably barca's squad and that's because they don't play the Barca way. Even mega rich man city could have done with Lampard or Gerrard tonight.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not the most memorable team. Was that John warks second coming, played cb if I remember ?? Other than him and chris kywomya. Don't recall anybody else, maybe that Bulgarian whose daughter is a British tennis player ??

No, I'm thinking of George Burley's side in 2002 with Richard Wright, Marcus Stewart, Alan Armstrong, Jamie Scowcroft, Matt Holland, Richard Wilnis. For a team without any superstars, they played some beautiful passing football. One memorable game in particular they thrashed Spurs 3-0 passing them off the park. It all went tits up the following season when teams packed their midfields and picked them off.

The Ipswich side you refer to was the third coming of John Wark (he had his second spell at Portman Road in the late 1980s). That was also a fine, memorable passing team. They had Kiwomya and Dozzell up front, with Craig Forrest, Phil Whelan, Paul Mason, David Linighan, Mick Stockwell, Sussex-born Steve Palmer. Again, no big names but were 4th in the Premier League come Christmas 1992, but faded badly. I think the Bulgarian you refer to was Buentcho Guentchev.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No. Won't happen the following season after promotion.

Could obviously happen a few seasons after though.

The reason why I think this is because history tells us that most championships teams have a team that generally struggles after going up the first season. So realistically a team would need to sign 20 players as you need a decent squad to win the prem not just 11 good first teamers. A team to go up from the championship and buy 20 decent players which needs to include around 4-5 world class players that arent just motivated by money and that can suddenly form a playing relationship with one another? Can't see it happening.

Lets go through the teams world class players currently... Players that would walk in to most squads in the world...

Man Utd - Van Persie, Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Hernandez, Ferdinand

Man City - David Silva, Y.Toure, Kompany, Hart, Aguero, Tevez

Chelsea - Cech, A.Cole, Hazard, Mata, Lampard, Terry

Arsenal - Wilshire, Walcott?

Liverpool - Suarez, Gerrard

Chelsea and Man city have both had money for a few years. Did they win the title after one season of spending big? Nope and they were already established premier league teams!

QPR's owner is a rich fucker and his team currently sit bottom of the league.

It's easy to say with money it could be done... But has it ever all clicked into place after only 1 season of spending big?

Terry, Ferdinand and Lampard? Would have once, but on the decline. Ferdinand's not so apparent as amidst an array of expensively gathered team mates enabling results still.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You guys do all realise top flight football, is a very different beast now to even 5 years ago.

There's no way the rich and powerful are giving that up, for an established Premier league team, let alone a pisher fresh from the Championship.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure what you mean. Like you say, money talks, so how would the scenario you're proposing work - when do the players join the club, and when do they win what?

Let's say a mad billionaire buys Ipswich this summer, He buys a few decent players and they climb the league and finish 8th. That summer he goes mad and buys 12 players from top Premiership/La Liga etc teams and wins the Championship at a canter.

Once in the Prem, he buys 8 or 9 really world class players paying stupid money (£500k per week) and offers them three-year contracts at that money. He probably needs to change the manager too.

He'll end up spending a fortune over three years - and no guarantee of winning anything - but would have a good shot.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let's say a mad billionaire buys Ipswich this summer, He buys a few decent players and they climb the league and finish 8th. That summer he goes mad and buys 12 players from top Premiership/La Liga etc teams and wins the Championship at a canter.

Once in the Prem, he buys 8 or 9 really world class players paying stupid money (£500k per week) and offers them three-year contracts at that money. He probably needs to change the manager too.

He'll end up spending a fortune over three years - and no guarantee of winning anything - but would have a good shot.
It's mad and I like it.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Pre-Prem of course but Watford finished 2nd in 1983 under Graham Taylor in their first season in the top flight (ever). They spent little money, relying on the same long-ball team up to Ross Jenkins/Luther Blissett with 2 decent wingers Nigel Callaghan and some chap called John Barnes.

PG

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can only recall two that did it in the pre-Prem days (Ipswich under Ramsey and Forest under Clough) so it would be a very big ask nowadays. Not impossible of course, but highly unlikely.

D

Deleted member 18477

Terry, Ferdinand and Lampard? Would have once, but on the decline. Ferdinand's not so apparent as amidst an array of expensively gathered team mates enabling results still.

ferdinand and terry are still top defenders. Lampard is still a top attacking midfielder.

they would walk into all squads in the world... ferdinand and terry could even walk into barca's squad as they have mascherano and alex song as cover for pique and puyol! Not ideal but they get by...

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
No because FFP has been designed by the likes of Man Utd to ensure that they curb the spending of the likes of Chelsea and Man City, so what hope have a smaller club got without Utd's financial clout? They have been unbelievably lucky to hit the jackpot with a since unheard of crop of youngsters as they Sky bubble was getting bigger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here