Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince William and Kate to become Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Were not paying for the party though are we?

Not the party itself, but we are paying for the security operation.

So...weeks worth of searching and sealing the area around the Abbey and all the buildings in the vicinity, the roads, sewers, protection for all the attending dignitaries, policing the area on the day and setting up of cordons and barriers, security screening and passes for staff and journalists, investigating all the threats received in advance from assorted nutcases and would-be terrorists, added security for Kate Middleton's family now they're marrying into royalty...and probably lots more.

The security could end up costing as much, if not more than, the ceremony itself.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Going back to the original post, I see in that article that one option aside from Sussex is Connacht. Why exactly do the royal family think that they have the authority to appoint themselves nobility of areas in the Irish Republic?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
we're only paying for the security, everything else is being funded by their parents. I think its GREAT and welcome the wedding, if they want to be called Sussex aswell thats fine with me!

1066gull

The Chancellor announced the Queen and the Royal Family agreed a year suspension of payments from the taxpayer, and that the wedding is to be purely funded by them!!!

Only security will be funded by the taxpayer, which I see as a sensible thing to do.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Not the party itself, but we are paying for the security operation.

So...weeks worth of searching and sealing the area around the Abbey and all the buildings in the vicinity, the roads, sewers, protection for all the attending dignitaries, policing the area on the day and setting up of cordons and barriers, security screening and passes for staff and journalists, investigating all the threats received in advance from assorted nutcases and would-be terrorists, added security for Kate Middleton's family now they're marrying into royalty...and probably lots more.

The security could end up costing as much, if not more than, the ceremony itself.

OK. So we replease them with a president, who will cost more, and they have a wedding or the son or daughter, do you not think they should be entiteld to protection? Do you really think they should pay for that?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
OK. So we replease them with a president, who will cost more, and they have a wedding or the son or daughter, do you not think they should be entiteld to protection? Do you really think they should pay for that?

Look, I don't think I'm a republican as such, I'm not actually advocating binning the Queen, even if I can see why some people would consider the whole family an anachronism in this day and age. A President, however, has put themselves forward to lead the country, and more or less been voted for by a majority of the population, so it's feasible for the country to protect them. The royals? Well they're just there, aren't they? They didn't volunteer for the gig, they're just there because they were fortunate to be born to a particular family. They could keep things low profile I guess and reduce the costs, but they don't.

Out of interest, how do you know a President would cost more? Genuine question?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Thats another 4 season tickets f***ed then, bound to join the 1901 club, with a bodyguard each side incase they end up sitting next to HB&B

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Chancellor announced the Queen and the Royal Family agreed a year suspension of payments from the taxpayer, and that the wedding is to be purely funded by them!!!

Only security will be funded by the taxpayer, which I see as a sensible thing to do.

As it should be. I am sure they will get a reasonable rate for Westminster Abbey

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
both BITTER women and obviously JEALOUS that you're not the Princess :thumbsup:

I am a woman and I am happy they are getting married and would be happy for them to be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. My opinion may of course be swayed by the fact we are getting a day off work to celebrate with a bottle of wine or three.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea

No - the sensible thing to do is to have a very small private do that they'll be able to pay for in whole themselves.

these people who hate the royal family, are you going to say no to a public holiday?

I work a shift pattern. If I get the day off, it is because I would have been rostered off that day anyway. Makes no odds to me what the chinless in-breds are up to. Just glad that it will be at Westminster, not St Paul's so if I am working I will still be able to get around relatively undisturbed.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

As Edna said, not sure how you are able to assert that a president would cost more. General upkeep and travel etc would be about the same granted, but you are talking about a first family (and as a figurehead president is likely to be of a certain age, probably not kids) as opposed to an extended one. In addition, you wouldn't necessarily have all the random ceremonial stuff that costs so much and family weddings, funerals etc. You'd have elections, but I am sure they could be amalgamated with the various elections we have anyway.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If it means between them they can put on another good cricket day out at Arundel, then I'm all for it.

In fact in PR terms, that's probably how to sell it to us.

Altogether now: 'Duchess Lavinia, away, away, away'...

RIP.

Monarchy debate to one side...

Surely the new Duke and Duchess of Sussex should be invited to the first league game and grand opening of Sussex's biggest and best stadium?

Would be sure to generate EVEN MORE publicity about our grand home coming too.

(although if Crawley get promoted this season we will no longer be the only league team in Sussex, and therefore Wills and Kate will obviously be off to the Broadfield instead on the 6th August 2011...)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Monarchy debate to one side...

Surely the new Duke and Duchess of Sussex should be invited to the first league game and grand opening of Sussex's biggest and best stadium?

Would be sure to generate EVEN MORE publicity about our grand home coming too.

Would they get priority for high-profile away games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here