Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Naseem won't fight another Muslim...

StaffsGull said:
The only way I can look at this statement is this....

Boxing IS a Sport, so he says he will not compete against other Muslims.

What would happen if Muslims in any sport said the same?

Otherwise he doesn't see it as a sport, and therefore sees it as conflict, in which case he is saying I will fight people of a different 'Crede' than myself (i.e. non-muslims). The boxing board of control should then step in and tell him it a sanctioned sport.

There are a few Christian sportsmen who won't carry out their sport on a Sundays. For example, the great New Zealand flanker Michael Jones missed out on a rugby World Cup winners medal because of this. I put this kind of stuff in the same bracket as Hamid's statement - odd religious stuff that I don't really quite understand but they have a right to do it, so live and let live and let them get on with it.

The reality is Hamid is showing a commitment to principle here, much like Jones. A fight with Khan would be massive box office and give Hamid his only real remaining chance of a last great big pay day. He is turning the money down, strange but worthy of some respect as he is remaining true to his principles, even if we find those principles a bit strange.

Last edited:

Probably the best fighter of all time, Muhammed Ali - a devout muslim - had no problem fighting in the ring but was opposed the killing of his brothers and sisters.

:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here