Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pride & Falmer

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have just been to a committee meeting in our block where a gay resident was complaining about the noise in St James Street last night by Spanish students celebrating the World Cup win.

We got onto talking about Prides street party and the noise which us residents have to endure every year for a whole weekend.

I mentioned that the football club and Pride were negotiating regarding the big kick off at Falmer and the possible movement of Pride to a different weekend as a one off. Well, he went nuclear! How dare a tin pot club that was bankrupt dictate to Pride who bring millions into the city each year. I pointed out that Pride was only going ahead due to the gay-friendly council loaning Pride money. I'm now being reported to the LGBTS local copper for homophobic comments! This, even though my next door neighbour is gay and has been a friend for 14 years!

Anyway, not sure how true this is, but a petition is going to be passed around at this years Pride threatening to move Pride to another area on the South Coast if agreement is reached to favour football over Pride next year.

I though Pride (Brighton) is/was on the verge of liquidation anyway!

*awaiting a dawn raid by the LGBTS task force!

I wouldn't worry about it, mate.

Seeing as the bloke starts from a position of willful ignorance (perhaps you should introduce him to HB&B - they'd get on like a house on fire), his opinion counts for f*** all. It's the opinion of the Pride Committee (is he a representative or spokesperson?) and the Police in answering the Albion's request that's important.

There is obviously room for an Albion home match AND Pride in the city (albeit on different weekends) - it seems like he thinks there will be football INSTEAD of Pride - and both are vital as they are cash cows for Brighton & Hove. Anyone like him who thinks it isn't is evidently a bit of a berk.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I wouldn't worry about it, mate.

Seeing as the bloke starts from a position of willful ignorance (perhaps you should introduce him to HB&B - they'd get on like a house on fire), his opinion counts for f*** all. It's the opinion of the Pride Committee (is he a representative or spokesperson?) and the Police in answering the Albion's request that's important.

There is obviously room for an Albion home match AND Pride in the city (albeit on different weekends) - it seems like he thinks there will be football INSTEAD of Pride - and both are vital as they are cash cows for Brighton & Hove. Anyone like him who thinks it isn't is evidently a bit of a berk.

You have summed it up pretty accurately. I don't think he's a big cheese in the general run of things, he sits on various tenant focus groups and the St James Street local action group and actively campaigns against non gay owned establishments that attempt to move into St James Street. I think he is probably upset because our residents booted him off the committee after his abuse and bullying of elderly female residents.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You have summed it up pretty accurately. I don't think he's a big cheese in the general run of things, he sits on various tenant focus groups and the St James Street local action group and actively campaigns against non gay owned establishments that attempt to move into St James Street. I think he is probably upset because our residents booted him off the committee after his abuse and bullying of elderly female residents.

and you mate have described perfectly, a militant queer who has no intention of following the live and let live ethos.:flounce:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's flippin ridiculous that this is causing an issue. Every season for god knows how long we have not had a home fixture because it clashes with Pride, and just this once we ask for one so we can have the first game at Falmer as the first game of season and they kick up a fuss, flippin unbelievable.

They need to get a sense of proportion.

It's flippin ridiculous that this is causing an issue. Every season for god knows how long we have not had a home fixture because it clashes with Pride, and just this once we ask for one so we can have the first game at Falmer as the first game of season and they kick up a fuss, flippin unbelievable.

But, in the same way that HB&B loves to kick up a fuss about Pride on here, it is just a few loud-mouthed individuals. The Argus quote from someone on the organising committee was that they were receptive to the idea and looking into it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But, in the same way that HB&B loves to kick up a fuss about Pride on here, it is just a few loud-mouthed individuals. The Argus quote from someone on the organising committee was that they were receptive to the idea and looking into it.
I think that's right. There are loud-mouthed, bigoted, opionated and twattish individuals in both camps; clippedgull just happened to run into one of 'theirs'.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy

Maybe move pride to Cowfold?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Can someone explain why the club is so keen that the first Falmer home match is the opening weekend of the season?

Is it to reduce the risk of the first home match being midweek (if we get drawn at home in the League Cup and it starts between the first two weekends)?

Or is it something else?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can someone explain why the club is so keen that the first Falmer home match is the opening weekend of the season?

Is it to reduce the risk of the first home match being midweek (if we get drawn at home in the League Cup and it starts between the first two weekends)?

Or is it something else?

Probably that its not often you can open the season in a brand new state of the art stadium. Friendlies/testimonials do NOT count as there is nothing but pride at stake and dare I say wont get as much attendance as a league game. This is a MOMENTUS occasion, pride is same old same old.

Besides its not like we are saying every year is it?

Easy 10 explains it so much better but a midweek league cup tie against wycombe just wouldnt be the same.

I think the only person who is happy with that is Notters.

Plus the fact that we may actually win so instead of going into our second league game on NUL points we may actually have 3.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

does this make him hetrophobic and as such as bad as a homophobic?

i don't have a problem with the gay community, and we cannot judge on this one pillocks actions but i would like to remind him of all the work albion in the community do - it is not just about football.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Probably that its not often you can open the season in a brand new state of the art stadium.

a midweek league cup tie against wycombe just wouldnt be the same.

the fact that we may actually win so instead of going into our second league game on NUL points we may actually have 3.

You've given three reasons here - to me, the middle one is persuasive, and should be understood by any of the City's authorities and the League. A midweek 'launch' would clearly be less of an occasion, and this is MASSIVE for B&H.

I'm sure I've read that the club has expressed a firm preference for a 'home' start to the season; I'm just trying to confirm that the 'midweek league cup risk' is the reason for this preference.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You've given three reasons here - to me, the middle one is persuasive, and should be understood by any of the City's authorities and the League. A midweek 'launch' would clearly be less of an occasion, and this is MASSIVE for B&H.

I'm sure I've read that the club has expressed a firm preference for a 'home' start to the season; I'm just trying to confirm that the 'midweek league cup risk' is the reason for this preference.

That reason (midweek League Cup risk) wouldn't really be much of a persuasive argument to anyone EXCEPT Brighton fans.

I think the argument of 'momentous occasion for the city' holds more water.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
That reason (midweek League Cup risk) wouldn't really be much of a persuasive argument to anyone EXCEPT Brighton fans.

I think the argument of 'momentous occasion for the city' holds more water.

Surely a midweek first proper match would be a much less momentous occasion for the City - that's not a football reason.

IMHO it has to be Saturday - but I'm not fussed if that's the first or second weekend of the season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Plus, 'first home games of the season' are never the same sort of event as 'first game of the season', it's like those stats that come with various provisos and qualifiers, first loss when you take the lead but go in half time even playing away from home type thing that ignores you've already lost four games. Undefeated at home on a saturday. First game of the season... at home.

We want the first home game to be an event, not a distraction from a season already underway.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Surely a midweek first proper match would be a much less momentous occasion for the City - that's not a football reason.

IMHO it has to be Saturday - but I'm not fussed if that's the first or second weekend of the season.

new season, new stadium - it just has to be the first game of the season end of.

pride can change their weekend ONCE for the benefit of the city, as has been said this is a once in a lifetime moment for any football fan - moving into a brand new home, pride is every year

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Sorry, that was my point.

The spectre of a midweek match being the first competitive match at Falmer would not be a persuasive argument - to the Pride people - for us to have our first match on a Saturday. The 'momentous occasion for the city' argument to them is (or rather ought to be) more palatable and understandable.

Of course it really ought to be Saturday - but for the FIRST match at Falmer, it would be so much better to have it on the first weekend of the season, rather than the second. For one, the sun always seems to shine on the first weekend of the season. After that, it pisses hard every Saturday until the last weekend of the season.

Of course, we might be drawn away for the first League Cup match - in which case it wouldn't matter so much the first game at Falmer was the first of second weekend of the season - but we're not going to know about that until June 2011, which would be FAR too late to ask Pride to move their parade.

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I have just been to a committee meeting in our block where a gay resident was complaining about the noise in St James Street last night by Spanish students celebrating the World Cup win.

We got onto talking about Prides street party and the noise which us residents have to endure every year for a whole weekend.

I mentioned that the football club and Pride were negotiating regarding the big kick off at Falmer and the possible movement of Pride to a different weekend as a one off. Well, he went nuclear! How dare a tin pot club that was bankrupt dictate to Pride who bring millions into the city each year. I pointed out that Pride was only going ahead due to the gay-friendly council loaning Pride money. I'm now being reported to the LGBTS local copper for homophobic comments! This, even though my next door neighbour is gay and has been a friend for 14 years!

Anyway, not sure how true this is, but a petition is going to be passed around at this years Pride threatening to move Pride to another area on the South Coast if agreement is reached to favour football over Pride next year.

I though Pride (Brighton) is/was on the verge of liquidation anyway!

*awaiting a dawn raid by the LGBTS task force!

No comment! :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here