Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Price of cigarettes

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Noticed the price of fags in the newsagent next to work - £8.50 for 20, or £4.75 for 10.

Realise this is more than usual (I'm in central London), but f**king hell, when did that happen?!

When I gave up a decade or so ago, it was £4.75 for 20.

20/day at £8.50 is £3100 a year. Mental.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I used to smoke Lucky strikes (about 30 a day) but when they hit £6.50 a pack I turned to rolling tobacco, I now smoke less and spend about £15 a month….simples!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I gave up around 15 years ago, but when I lived in Canada 20 years ago as a 21 year old, I remember thinking they were all mental paying the equivalent of £3 a pack ($6.35 CAD) as we were only paying around £1.80.

Aside from irresponsibly forgoing certain essentials, I genuinely don't understand how the unemployed can afford tabs these days, which is harsh considering they are so addictive.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Aside from irresponsibly forgoing certain essentials, I genuinely don't understand how the unemployed can afford tabs these days, which is harsh considering they are so addictive.

They don't pay duty of their fags! 200 Mayfairs down the Bat & Ball for 20 quid innit.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I cannot understand why anyone smokes anymore. As an ex smoker I know I'm the worst kind, but even so, £8.50 for 20? That's a holiday in the Caribbean every year. Mental.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Some interesting facts:

Cigarettes cause about one death per million smoked.

A 12m (40ft) container... houses 10 million cigarettes, which means that each container will cause about 10 deaths.

A factory such as Hongta's in Yuxi [China] is responsible for generating 25,000 or 30,000 deaths per year from lung cancer. And about twice that number from other diseases.

Cigarette makers make about a penny in profit for every cigarette sold, which means that the value of a life to a cigarette maker is about $10,000.

In 1919, lung cancer was so rare, medical students would jump at the chance to attend an autopsy to view this rare disease. 80 years later, lung cancer claimed 1.1million lives in a year, 85% of those directly attributed to tobacco.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Some interesting facts:

Cigarettes cause about one death per million smoked.

A 12m (40ft) container... houses 10 million cigarettes, which means that each container will cause about 10 deaths.

A factory such as Hongta's in Yuxi [China] is responsible for generating 25,000 or 30,000 deaths per year from lung cancer. And about twice that number from other diseases.

Cigarette makers make about a penny in profit for every cigarette sold, which means that the value of a life to a cigarette maker is about $10,000.

In 1919, lung cancer was so rare, medical students would jump at the chance to attend an autopsy to view this rare disease. 80 years later, lung cancer claimed 1.1million lives in a year, 85% of those directly attributed to tobacco.

The above is why we should not smoke... simple

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I packed up in July and even though cigarettes are much cheaper here, I have still saved enough to pay for flights and hotel to come over to see Bolton and Bristol City .

Also thanks to Shuggie :)

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
My wife and I Gave up smoking when it was just over £2.00 a pkt, blimey a couple smoking these days is £19.00 a day that's mental
hmm.gif

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I packed up smoking cigarettes about 1970 whjen I was smoking 60 Capstan Full Strength a day imagine that price now. I then started smoking cigars and they have shot up in price but gave it all up in 1995.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here