Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prescott

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Albion Dan said:
The problem is no other party has said it will give Falmer if elected so isnt it just frying pan into the fire? If you vote in this election based on Falmer you are being very silly.

Sorry that is absolute rubbish. Just because no party has said that they will pass Falmer (which is impossible anyway) doesn't mean that you shouldnt vote for Labour if you feel that Falmer has it's best chance under them.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No party can actually say that they will approve Falmer regardless as it is subject to a public inquiry and to do so could lead to a judicial review of the whole process.

I reckon I know what a pro-Falmer vote would be where I am, and as I am 'silly' enough to regard this as the most important issue, that's where the X is going to go. :) :) :)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Stinky Kat said:
The Tories are evil.

Edit: The Tories are pure evil :censored:, if it wern't for labour there wouldnt be a nhs to moan about.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Keith B Wetherill said:
:censored: I think Prescott and the so called Labour party have their own agenda and I seriously think the decision re Falmer has been purposely delayed. If and when they say no as is a distinct possibility, it will be too late to protest where it hurts as they will already have been elected.My thoughts are that we should now give up being the nice guys,and every single BRIGHTON supporter should get out there and vote Conservative or Liberal(tho'that might help Baker)
If we do that it could well affect the marginals and we can then let them know what we did!!
:bounce:
That argument falls down on just about every point, and you are seriously attempting to bite the hand that feeds us. You have on evidence to support a theory that Prescott will say NO, unless you honestly believe that the Albion's case for the stadium is poor.

1. There is no evidence to support the fact that Prescott and Labour delayed the decision. There is, however, plenty of evidence to support the fact that Lewes DC, Falmer PC and other assorted single-issue groups have delayed the process, and sometimes quite blatantly and contemptuously.

2. It is only Norman Baker and Lewes DC who are promoting the theory that this decision is purely politically based. And there are too many people on here falling into that trap of believing them.

3. Prescott could quite easily have accepted the reports of two planning inspectors, both of whom rejected the Falmer stadium proposal. He didn't - he effectively rejected the rejection. The main point being that neither inspector really followed government policy on transport, the environment, planning or social issues when coming to their conclusions.

However, there was not enough evidence to give a YES decision either, hence the Inquiry we are going through now. We are not going over old ground in this latest Inquiry - all the evidence given is new. So this is hardly a deliberate delay by the government, mainly because not all of the evidence has been heard.

4. Voting Conservative on this issue is just plain crap, locally and nationally. The Tories in Brighton & Hove are currently split over the choice of candidate for the three city constituency because of the respective individual's support/opposition to Falmer. The Hove and Pavilion candidates have both expressed support for Falmer, but the previous candidate for Kemp Town was ousted because of his support, and his place was given to an anti. With that sort of split, can you trust a party that does not have a clear policy on a new stadium (anywhere), especially when the Labour group in the city has been so resolutely and ardently behind the plan?

And the less said about the Lib Dems locally the better.

5. At least with Prescott making the decision, we have a better chance of knowing where we stand. I firmly believe he wants to say YES. (He f***ing HATES NIMBYS.) Planning laws just haven't allowed him to do so yet. He could have easily rejected our plans by now - yet, encouragingly, he hasn't. And if he does say NO to Falmer, it's because he has said YES to somewhere else.

Of course, if you have convinced yourself that Prescott has already decided NO, that's up to you, but voting Tory or Lib Dem will change NOTHING if that's the case.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Regarding point 4, TLO, who would you vote for in the Lewes constituency?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The Large One said:
That argument falls down on just about every point, and you are seriously attempting to bite the hand that feeds us. You have on evidence to support a theory that Prescott will say NO, unless you honestly believe that the Albion's case for the stadium is poor.

1. There is no evidence to support the fact that Prescott and Labour delayed the decision. There is, however, plenty of evidence to support the fact that Lewes DC, Falmer PC and other assorted single-issue groups have delayed the process, and sometimes quite blatantly and contemptuously.

2. It is only Norman Baker and Lewes DC who are promoting the theory that this decision is purely politically based. And there are too many people on here falling into that trap of believing them.

3. Prescott could quite easily have accepted the reports of two planning inspectors, both of whom rejected the Falmer stadium proposal. He didn't - he effectively rejected the rejection. The main point being that neither inspector really followed government policy on transport, the environment, planning or social issues when coming to their conclusions.

However, there was not enough evidence to give a YES decision either, hence the Inquiry we are going through now. We are not going over old ground in this latest Inquiry - all the evidence given is new. So this is hardly a deliberate delay by the government, mainly because not all of the evidence has been heard.

4. Voting Conservative on this issue is just plain crap, locally and nationally. The Tories in Brighton & Hove are currently split over the choice of candidate for the three city constituency because of the respective individual's support/opposition to Falmer. The Hove and Pavilion candidates have both expressed support for Falmer, but the previous candidate for Kemp Town was ousted because of his support, and his place was given to an anti. With that sort of split, can you trust a party that does not have a clear policy on a new stadium (anywhere), especially when the Labour group in the city has been so resolutely and ardently behind the plan?

And the less said about the Lib Dems locally the better.

5. At least with Prescott making the decision, we have a better chance of knowing where we stand. I firmly believe he wants to say YES. (He f***ing HATES NIMBYS.) Planning laws just haven't allowed him to do so yet. He could have easily rejected our plans by now - yet, encouragingly, he hasn't. And if he does say NO to Falmer, it's because he has said YES to somewhere else.

Of course, if you have convinced yourself that Prescott has already decided NO, that's up to you, but voting Tory or Lib Dem will change NOTHING if that's the case.

Wise words indeed but in Lewes we have to get a message to Baker and the Lib Dem Lewes DC and the only thing that frightens them is voting Tory. Labour does not stand a chance in this area.

Gaffer said:
One of the biggest for us I agree but looking at the Planning Inspectorate's Website it does not rank a mention. But the South Downs National Park does plus redeveloping docks at Harwich and other things. That's why we have to keep the pressure on the media and the minister to make them realise that a new stadium soon for us is a huge local Sussex Issue
The Planning Inspectorate's website only includes details of what are called "Major Planning Inquiries".

Believe it or not, Falmer isn't one of them. It's an Inquiry into a local planning application that has been called in. Including routine planning appeals, there are thousands of such Inquiries each year.

Anyone who thinks that there's a major conspiracy at the highest level to piss us off for some sort of political gain is barking mad. But this wouldn't be the first issue where the ranks of the barking mad have been led by Norman Baker.

And what's this I've just heard from a prominent local politician?

Apparently the Countryside Alliance are throwing everything they've got into getting the Tory elected in Brighton Kemptown.

They've decided to do nothing to unsettle Baker in Lewes (despite his clear anti-hunting record).

More signs that the ranks of the barking mad are on the loose.

Last edited:

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Lord Bracknell said:
Apparently the Countryside Alliance are throwing everything they've got into getting the Tory elected in Brighton Kemptown.

The so called Coutryside Alliance are the Tories.

Waterhall Wizard said:
But why choose Kemptown as a focus for their campaigning?

Kemptown Tories have a long tradition of ANTI-hunting campaigning, going back to the 27 year period when Andrew Bowden was the local Conservative MP.

The Countryside Alliance members that are planning this pro-Tory campaign in Kemptown are mostly Lewes based. Surely they can't be letting Baker off the hook because he's anti-Falmer, just like they are?

Last edited:

Waterhall Wizard said:
But why choose Kemptown as a focus for their campaigning.

Kemptown Tories have a long tradition of ANTI-hunting campaigning, going back to the 27 year period when Andrew Bowden was the local Conservative MP.

The Countryside Alliance members that are planning this pro-Tory campaign in Kemptown are mostly Lewes based. Surely they can't be letting Baker off the hook because he's anti-Falmer, just like they are?

Waterhall Wizard said:

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Lord Bracknell said:

You don't really expect me to answer you three times, do you?

I remember Bowden's picture holding that bloody cat with the following words written underneath by some wagg,
"Would you trust your wife's pussy with this man?"

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Trust is what it's all about. While I can't say that I totally trust Labour I definitely don't trust the Tories. They're worth voting for in Lewes, but not in Kemptown.

For me this is the only issue worth considering at this election - on all other matters it's just a choice between a Labour liar or a Tory liar.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Jim D said:
Trust is what it's all about. While I can't say that I totally trust Labour I definitely don't trust the Tories. They're worth voting for in Lewes, but not in Kemptown.

For me this is the only issue worth considering at this election - on all other matters it's just a choice between a Labour liar or a Tory liar.

Quite right. Blair may have "unintentionally"/"intentionally" lead us to war, Michael Howard in the Tory government lead us nearly into a bloody civil war, so what's worse?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yorkie said:
Regarding point 4, TLO, who would you vote for in the Lewes constituency?
I can't - I live in the Brighton Pavilion ward. I shall probably be voting for the anti-war, anti-fox hunting, anti-foundation hospital David Lepper. Although the bastard is also anti-Montessori-going-into-the-state-sector, but that fate will be decided before May 5 anyway, and hopefully he may well have been on the losing side in that argument by then.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gaffer said:
Wise words indeed but in Lewes we have to get a message to Baker and the Lib Dem Lewes DC and the only thing that frightens them is voting Tory. Labour does not stand a chance in this area.

Maybe, but for me Norman Baker is now a non-entity and irrelevant regarding the Falmer matter. Vote him out by way of punishment by all means, but as for affecting our chances of getting a stadium at Falmer, then on that score the man is nothing.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Large One said:
I can't - I live in the Brighton Pavilion ward. I shall probably be voting for the anti-war, anti-fox hunting, anti-foundation hospital David Lepper. Although the bastard is also anti-Montessori-going-into-the-state-sector, but that fate will be decided before May 5 anyway, and hopefully he may well have been on the losing side in that argument by then.
Roughly translated means he's N ot I n My Back Yard so i dont care!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here