Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If they was a special meeting of the PL, would there be enough votes just to void the season now ?

I suspect there would be. Only Liverpool and maybe Sheffield United wouldn't be that keen.

Not so sure. What would happen to CL places? I'm not sure that clubs near the top would be happy to forego entering that. Now, if the vote were to end the season now, I reckon they may get that through. All the bottom three, Wolves and Arsenal would be against it

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is all so silly. If one team have someone that tests CV positive, the whole team will have to self isolate. There is no point planning to play behind closed doors. Best suspend the league and give themselves time to monitor the situation over the coming weeks.

Nonsense the sensible measure would be to suspend the totting up process for bookings, for the rest of the season, so that any fit players available for selection, can continue to play. :albion: We could really do with a blue and white spectacled emoji.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Postponing games seems to me to be pointless - we have absolutely no idea when these games can be rescheduled for, and the knock-on effect will just create an even bigger mess further down the line when it clashes with the Euros (if they take place) and/or the start of next season, not to mention the transfer window scenario.

Playing the games behind closed doors only solves part of the problem. The squads, backroom staff and directors will still have to travel together, then meet with their counterparts, officials, ground staff etc etc and play out a match where there's still a risk of potential cross-contamination.

The least worse option is, IMO, the simplest one. Season 19/20 is cancelled and expunged from the records. We start again when we can (whenever that may be), with the 4 divisions intact as they were in August 2019. There will be winners and losers from this, there will be merry hell from many (particularly from Merseyside and Yorkshire), but what really is the VIABLE alternative ? Whatever solution we seek will create winners and losers. There IS no best option, only the least worst.

Which, IMO, is the simplest. Bin this season and start again as we were. Its just one of those things, but at the end of the day (Brian), it IS only football.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Would love to see inside the PL Strategy Planning hub right now.

Despite the cash etc etc, be arrogant and irresponsible not to act soon.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Would love to see inside the PL Strategy Planning hub right now.

Despite the cash etc etc, be arrogant and irresponsible not to act soon.

I suspect they’re desperately waiting for someone else to take the responsibility of making the decision. VAR crossed with middle management buck-passing, that kind of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The legal challenge wouldn't be against the early ending of the season though. The issue is how the EFL and PL decide that is finalised (ie do current positions stand, or do we declare it all null and void and start again next season?).

If you said all current positions stand, then you could have a scenario where a club is relegated by virtue of being in the bottom three, one point behind the team above, but with a game in hand. How can you relegate (or fail to promote) a team who has played fewer games than others? Tranmere are currently occupying a relegation spot in League One, three points behind the team above but with a game in hand. Is it fair to say to them "sorry lads, you're down"? Or one team might still have to play all of the top six, while another has a mix of opponents in mid table and below.

If the season gets written off midway through, it has to be declared null and void, and everyone starts again in the same league come August (or whenever it's deemed safe).

I'm not just saying this because Liverpool and Leeds, honestly :lol:

On the other side of the argument, going with current positions see Villa going down and, given their financial predicament, they've probably got a lot further to go than the Championship :lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Postponing games seems to me to be pointless - we have absolutely no idea when these games can be rescheduled for, and the knock-on effect will just create an even bigger mess further down the line when it clashes with the Euros (if they take place) and/or the start of next season, not to mention the transfer window scenario.

Playing the games behind closed doors only solves part of the problem. The squads, backroom staff and directors will still have to travel together, then meet with their counterparts, officials, ground staff etc etc and play out a match where there's still a risk of potential cross-contamination.

The least worse option is, IMO, the simplest one. Season 19/20 is cancelled and expunged from the records. We start again when we can (whenever that may be), with the 4 divisions intact as they were in August 2019. There will be winners and losers from this, there will be merry hell from many (particularly from Merseyside and Yorkshire), but what really is the VIABLE alternative ? Whatever solution we seek will create winners and losers. There IS no best option, only the least worst.

Which, IMO, is the simplest. Bin this season and start again as we were. Its just one of those things, but at the end of the day (Brian), it IS only football.

But, as I said earlier, if the 19/20 doesn't exist, then the PL would, by definition, have no teams in the Champions League. I really can't see PL clubs giving that up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here