Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
But, as I said earlier, if the 19/20 doesn't exist, then the PL would, by definition, have no teams in the Champions League. I really can't see PL clubs giving that up

Pure speculation- but if the current season is scratched from the records, they could then allocate European places based on the final 19/20 season league positions.

They will need a solution to this all across Europe, not just the Prem.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
People watch streams every week without paying f-all, I know I do. Watched the Wolves game unbroken in perfect HD, with UK commentary. If the government decree free to air coverage then fine. If not, I'm confident I'll be able to whistle up the BHA game from within my self-isolated playpen.

Same here.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Much as part of me thinks that fit Footballers should be able to shake off this virus easily.

We have to remember that this virus itself causes respatory problems and as such strenuous exercise and exertions during a match could bring them to the fore. If someone were to collapse and God forbid die during a match then there would be a massive witch hunt for someone to blame. For that reason Government can't afford to take any chances.

That said . They will take chances, so it has to be compulsory that every player should be tested every day for at least 3 days right up to and including the day of the match

Nice idea. But, it takes 48 hrs to get test results.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Suspend this season until we can complete the fixtures, and next season only play half the number of games to catch up.

The magic fixtures computer can work out a fair system that you play half the teams at the top at home and the other half away, same with the bottom clubs. Finish a bit early next year and prep for the rearranged euros that will take place next summer. Sorted.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Postponing games seems to me to be pointless - we have absolutely no idea when these games can be rescheduled for, and the knock-on effect will just create an even bigger mess further down the line when it clashes with the Euros (if they take place) and/or the start of next season, not to mention the transfer window scenario.

Playing the games behind closed doors only solves part of the problem. The squads, backroom staff and directors will still have to travel together, then meet with their counterparts, officials, ground staff etc etc and play out a match where there's still a risk of potential cross-contamination.

The least worse option is, IMO, the simplest one. Season 19/20 is cancelled and expunged from the records. We start again when we can (whenever that may be), with the 4 divisions intact as they were in August 2019. There will be winners and losers from this, there will be merry hell from many (particularly from Merseyside and Yorkshire), but what really is the VIABLE alternative ? Whatever solution we seek will create winners and losers. There IS no best option, only the least worst.

Which, IMO, is the simplest. Bin this season and start again as we were. Its just one of those things, but at the end of the day (Brian), it IS only football.

I thought about this on another thread, and think it should, and could be postponed :

I assume the season will have to continue, even if that goes into September / October. There is absolutely nothing clean about cancelling it or ending it prematurely and court cases will be plentiful and will drag.

So it should be postponed until such time it can be continued. That might be all through the summer, so player registrations will have to be extended and transfer window pushed back. Then the 2020-21 season will be truncated, perhaps all domestic cups not held for a season, no winter break, European trophies become straight one-leg knockouts with no group stage, lots of midweek league games, fewer international breaks and Nations league cancelled - after all every European league will be in same boat - and we get back on track with a Euros in summer 2021 (as long as league season not required to go on to June) and a revised WC qualifying schedule.

Whatever is done I imagine it will be a UEFA-facilitated Europe-wide decision.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Suspend this season until we can complete the fixtures, and next season only play half the number of games to catch up.

The magic fixtures computer can work out a fair system that you play half the teams at the top at home and the other half away, same with the bottom clubs. Finish a bit early next year and prep for the rearranged euros that will take place next summer. Sorted.

Any lost matches hit the TV companies.... who are funding all the PL clubs.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I guess there are two options regarding the PL.

Declare this season null and void.

Declare each remaining game a draw.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Chelsea didn’t train today either. Games surely cancelled if teams are hit with it or self isolating

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Any lost matches hit the TV companies.... who are funding all the PL clubs.

They'd lose advertising revenue, that's for sure.

But people have paid their subscriptions to Sky and BT, and I don't imagine there is any contractual obligation that they get to see games.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I thought about this on another thread, and think it should, and could be postponed :

I assume the season will have to continue, even if that goes into September / October. There is absolutely nothing clean about cancelling it or ending it prematurely and court cases will be plentiful and will drag.

So it should be postponed until such time it can be continued. That might be all through the summer, so player registrations will have to be extended and transfer window pushed back. Then the 2020-21 season will be truncated, perhaps all domestic cups not held for a season, no winter break, European trophies become straight one-leg knockouts with no group stage, lots of midweek league games, fewer international breaks and Nations league cancelled - after all every European league will be in same boat - and we get back on track with a Euros in summer 2021 (as long as league season not required to go on to June) and a revised WC qualifying schedule.

Whatever is done I imagine it will be a UEFA-facilitated Europe-wide decision.

The Euros will be postponed - so I imagine we will have till next season till other options are looked at.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Do we keep the 25 man squads intact even though players like Schelotto are out of contract in June ?

Should teams be allowed to sign players in June for games this season ? If so, how does that help the integrity of the competition ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here