Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Karen Brady’s view of calling the season null and void is, like her and her club, pathetic. Unbelievable levels of self interest.

But that's probably what will happen. Premier League is a private company wholly owned by the 20 clubs in it at any one time. Leeds and WBA are not members so have no vote. Norwich, Watford and Villa all have a vote so will never vote to finish the season now as the clubs stand. Most of the others won't be too bothered. Liverpool will feel aggrieved but they could be given the trophy as a gesture. Man Utd, Arsenal and Leicester wouldn't be happy depending on who is nominated for CL places. Can't see any of the European leagues finishing so there may be a common agreement to start next season the same as they started this one with qualification for the CL and Europa league based on last season.

Adding two clubs to the league just to pacify Leeds and WBA would mean an extra 4 games. They could sacrifice the league cup but the FA will never go along with dumping the FA cup too, especially as 21/22 season is going to be split in two so there will be disruption then to the programme!! Also, all the big clubs will moan about extra games, as they always do.

Whatever happens, there will be clubs that lose out and my bet is it will be the two at the top of the EFL!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have a bigger PL from now on. 22 teams would mean a few more games each season. We used to do it, never really understood why it was reduced.

Simple, the big clubs wanted a european super league and to accommodate them, the champions league was formed which takes many extra games over what the old European Cup had. There's money in the CL so don't expect the big clubs to sacrifice that. They already moan about too many fixtures and still insisted on a mid season break despite the fact they have 25 in a squad!!!!

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
As much as I want the season to be canned now why can't it just carry on?

Will we reach a point where for the non long term sick and elderly this is just a more extreme version of the flu.

So no group isolating for players if another gets it, only the infected player isolates. And we just play on.

This is the UK governments thinking and seems to make sense, otherwise this will never end.

I think you need to do the maths. This is not a more extreme version of the flu unless by extreme you mean something that is more than 10 times as deadly and far more contagious. The flu has a mortality rate below .1% Covid-19 at a minimum is 1%. This doesn't sound like a lot until you do the math. If nothing is done and we just carry on as usual and let the virus run its course the consensus among the immunologists is that up to 70%of the population will get it. This equates to nearly half a million dead, and the 1% is a very conservative figure, go to 1.5 % and you get 2/3 million dead. Then you have the issue of 10 or 20 million people unable to work for several weeks, the overloading of the NHS, on and on it goes. The way it is now being handled means that you get a slowed transmission, the health services have a better chance of coping, far less people will get sick and once you get into summer when virus will not live as long outside the body meaning transmission rates fall. Then hopefully by next year when this comes around again the vaccine will be ready.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think Paul Barbers solution is the best one I’ve heard yet.

Liverpool get the title. No one gets relegated, top 2 promoted from the Championship and have a bigger PL next season with 4 going down.

I think resuming the league now will be virtually impossible. Even if games were to be played behind closed doors, there’s still a lot of uncertainty with CV and fans may still congregate. Not to mention players will no longer be match (or mentally) fit.

I've heard there's growing support for this as finishing this season is now impossible. Only the champions league/europa places in question. But then who's to say we'll even be ready for next season following the leak this morning?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've heard there's growing support for this as finishing this season is now impossible. Only the champions league/europa places in question. But then who's to say we'll even be ready for next season following the leak this morning?

And those 2 extra games played overseas by chance?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Has the club made any comment on refunds for one-off match tickets?

I bought a couple of tickets for my Dad and son for the United game.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Time to bite the bullet and declare the season ended.

Even the Olympics has left the summer calendar now.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Time to bite the bullet and declare the season ended.

Even the Olympics has left the summer calendar now.
So far they've said that the season has been extended indefinitely so the position at present seems to be finish it whenever it can be finished.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So far they've said that the season has been extended indefinitely so the position at present seems to be finish it whenever it can be finished.
They're still just thinking with their wallets, IMHO. This season just needs to be voided, and the new one start whenever it can - playing matches behind close doors isn't going to happen in the near future, certainly not after the 30th. April or whenever. Gatherings of more than two people are banned - a football team has 11 players........and there's two of those per match, plus subs, refs, magic sponge operators, etc.

I suspect there're won't be a cricket season at all this summer - football should give up kidding itself that they'll somehow finish this season. Cloud cuckoo land.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They're still just thinking with their wallets, IMHO. This season just needs to be voided, and the new one start whenever it can - playing matches behind close doors isn't going to happen in the near future, certainly not after the 30th. April or whenever. Gatherings of more than two people are banned - a football team has 11 players........and there's two of those per match, plus subs, refs, magic sponge operators, etc.

I suspect there're won't be a cricket season at all this summer - football should give up kidding itself that they'll somehow finish this season. Cloud cuckoo land.

I respectfully disagree.

What if it is not until this time next year that the world is ready for this stuff to start again?

If that were the case, then it feels like it would make perfect sense to pick up where we left off, with the only complication player contracts, specifically those that expire this June.

As such, a "wait and see" approach feels the right one for me.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I respectfully disagree.

What if it is not until this time next year that the world is ready for this stuff to start again?

If that were the case, then it feels like it would make perfect sense to pick up where we left off, with the only complication player contracts, specifically those that expire this June.

As such, a "wait and see" approach feels the right one for me.
I take your point, but it's not so much 'Wait and see' as 'we're going to finish it regardless of how ridiculous it might get', IMHO anyway. If they do resume in 12 months time, are they going to take away points won against clubs that no longer exist? - because that will almost certainly be the case further down the ladder - and surely the PL and the EFL will have to agree on when to restart. It would just be farcical.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If there is a year without football, the biggest issue will be which clubs haven't gone bust - perhaps including a PL club or 2 - not whether we restart the old season or not.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If there is a year without football, the biggest issue will be which clubs haven't gone bust, not whether we restart the old season or not.

If there is a year without football, whatever the driver of that, I fear that football itself will be fairly low on our list of priorities as we try to rebuild our country.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If there is a year without football, whatever the driver of that, I fear that football itself will be fairly low on our list of priorities as we try to rebuild our country.

I'll still be supporting my club.

images

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Plus of course, there would be a massive backlash towards football clubs who - despite the huge amounts of money in the game - appear to be teetering on the edge of existence. It is absolutely shameful that professional football has allowed itself to get to this point. Driven by pure greed and egotistical twunts happy to gamble the future of clubs and their employees in search of the Premier league holy grail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here