Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Local and Mayoral Elections postponed for a *year*, democracy literally paused and yet Football will be back in a few weeks?

Not gonna happen is it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Who are they going to sue? The Government for passing legislation on large gatherings? The WHO for the advice they give world wide and for declaring a pandemic? Coronavirus? Good lick with any of those.

None of those. It would be more the league's actions in deciding what happened. I wonder that the league may be completed behind closed doors.

If there is European competition then who goes in ? Especially now that 5th place is a potential qualifier.

No-one knows. For sure there will be much wrangling.

Not sure Albion fans would hold the same view if we were clear at the top of Div 2.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
This could actually be devastating to football as a whole. Lower league clubs will collapse with no money coming in and players and staff need to be paid. Even the premier league is looking at losing close to a billion. This could also put sky in some serios financial difficulties as the sports subscriptions are their biggest earners. TV rights deals are going to be lower in the future because of that. This is a hell of a lot bigger than when games can re start or whether to just cancel.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa-chief-greg-clarke-fears-the-season-will-not-finish-c57rs2mbq

FA chief Greg Clarke fears the season will not finish

It is understood that Paul Barber, the Brighton & Hove Albion chief executive, responded by questioning the wisdom of suspending matches only until the start of next month if the situation is going escalate well into the summer.

. At present, Liverpool sit 25 points clear at the top of the Premier League table with nine games remaining.

Good lad Paul ;-)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This could actually be devastating to football as a whole. Lower league clubs will collapse with no money coming in and players and staff need to be paid. Even the premier league is looking at losing close to a billion. This could also put sky in some serios financial difficulties as the sports subscriptions are their biggest earners. TV rights deals are going to be lower in the future because of that. This is a hell of a lot bigger than when games can re start or whether to just cancel.

I’m sure those PL players on £100k + a month won’t mind donating a nice chunk of their wages to others who aren’t so fortune lower down the leagues

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I'm sure EPL have preference for this season to be played out whenever football resumes, short break, and then the new season. Not sure how calendar can then accommodate Cup competitions, international breaks etc. Suppose it depends on the various governing bodies, their power and influence, as to how this eventually pans out.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
No football worldwide for 12 months until this thing has properly blown over. Resume / finish this season from March 2021.

Oh and cryogenically freeze Glenn so he can be properly rested for the resumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
2nd emergency meeting this Thursday by the Premier League

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
2nd emergency meeting this Thursday by the Premier League

I would imagine by then we will know the form of these mass gathering rules but suspect we will know little more. Perhaps a shutdown stays in place and when an extension to that would be confirmed and maybe the first leaks of any contingency plan

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No football worldwide for 12 months until this thing has properly blown over. Resume / finish this season from March 2021.

Oh and cryogenically freeze Glenn so he can be properly rested for the resumption.

Whilst there's no way they'd go for that plan now - I expect they'll keep pushing dates back and back as this thing progresses - that does feel kinda sensible ultimately on many levels.

One problem football as a whole is going to have to deal with is contracts. Many players, at all levels, will be free to walk away from their current clubs at the end of June.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Whilst there's no way they'd go for that plan now - I expect they'll keep pushing dates back and back as this thing progresses - that does feel kinda sensible ultimately on many levels.

One problem football as a whole is going to have to deal with is contracts. Many players, at all levels, will be free to walk away from their current clubs at the end of June.

That would always have been the case though. If clubs want players under contract for the resumption of football they will give new contracts. They still have the tv money. Players might feel more need for job security.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
They won't stay on £100k + a month for long if Sky and BT Sport collapse

I wonder what clauses the Sky (and BT) contract with the Premier League has within it for this type of Force Majeure situation?

And I wonder what’s included or excluded in the contract that the Premier League has with Premier League clubs?

It could all get very messy.

Can Sky withdraw payments making EPL withdraw payments to clubs?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I wonder what clauses the Sky (and BT) contract with the Premier League has within it for this type of Force Majeure situation?

And I wonder what’s included or excluded in the contract that the Premier League has with Premier League clubs?

It could all get very messy.

Can Sky withdraw payments making EPL withdraw payments to clubs?

They could, but they'd stuff themselves for future deals and would lose football coverage for a long time. Which nukes their core revenue model.

More likely a deal would be done to give them extra free matches over the next year or two.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As much as I want the season to be canned now why can't it just carry on?

Will we reach a point where for the non long term sick and elderly this is just a more extreme version of the flu.

So no group isolating for players if another gets it, only the infected player isolates. And we just play on.

This is the UK governments thinking and seems to make sense, otherwise this will never end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here