Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
As I said: declaring the league null and void is one solution but saying each remaining match is a draw is another equally valid one.

What if the PL adopts the first and the EFL adopts the second (perfectly possible as they're separate organisations). It would be opening a real can or worms if the the PL denied promotion to the Championship winners
You'd have Fulham suing the EFL if they declare their matches with Leeds and WBA draws.

Do we wait for that outcome first ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As I said: declaring the league null and void is one solution but saying each remaining match is a draw is another equally valid one.

What if the PL adopts the first and the EFL adopts the second (perfectly possible as they're separate organisations). It would be opening a real can or worms if the the PL denied promotion to the Championship winners

Perhaps each individual 'match' could be played out in court, with the respective clubs' legal teams, and expert witnesses, arguing their case to be awarded the points, before a judge and jury.

Sky could televise the cases, in lieu of the actual games.

"M'lud, we contend that Newcastle United would undoubtedly have beaten Brighton, given their respective form and positions in the league table"

"We counter m'lud, that given Brighton held Newcastle to a draw earlier in the season, even when they had home advantage, that our clients would be clear favourites for the return fixture, and should be awarded the 3 points accordingly"

etc, etc

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Perhaps each individual 'match' could be played out in court, with the respective clubs' legal teams, and expert witnesses, arguing their case to be awarded the points, before a judge and jury.

Sky could televise the cases, in lieu of the actual games.

"M'lud, we contend that Newcastle United would undoubtedly have beaten Brighton, given their respective form and positions in the league table"

"We counter m'lud, that given Brighton held Newcastle to a draw earlier in the season, even when they had home advantage, that our clients would be clear favourites for the return fixture, and should be awarded the 3 points accordingly"

etc, etc

"But do you accept that there is a chance that a bat could be confused by the floodlights and fly into Mat Ryan, thus diverting his attention from an incoming shot?"

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Like I posted in another thread:

I feel the PL should say "nah, its not fair to go by points to determine final standings - too circumstantial. We got the modern way, with data".

I hope they go with one of the following metrics:

Free kick assists:
1. Brighton - 3
2. Chelsea, Saints, Villa, Liverpool, West Ham - 2

Own goals for:
1. Brighton - 4
2. Sheffield United - 3
Bunch of teams on 2

Shots against inside percentage18 yard box:
1. Brighton - 62%
2. Southampton / Everton - 60%
4. West Ham/Man City/Chelsea - 59%

Possesion loss: Unsuccessful touches
1. Southampton - 524
2. Brighon - 495
3. Newcastle United - 476
4. Everton - 473

Shots - Body part "Other":
1. Southampton - 5
2. Villa/Everton - 4
4. Brighton - 3

Inaccurate short passes (5th in accurate):
1. Southampton - 2000
2. Liverpool - 1968
3. Brighton - 1904
4. Chelsea - 1891

Key passes Long:
1. Burnley - 62
2, Liverpool - 58
3. Chelsea - 57
4. Brighton - 55

Saves from shots inside penalty area:
1. Newcastle - 66
2. West Ham - 62
3. Brighton - 62
4. Watford/Spurs - 59

Discipline (y/r):
1. Liverpool 26/1
2. Leicester 31/1
3. Southampton 42/2
4. Brighton & Wolverhmpton - 45/2

And I hope they avoid the following:

Shots from counters (per game):
18. Brighton 0,3
19. Norwich 0,2
20. Burnley 0,1

Throughball key passes:
18. Brighton, Palace, Burnley - 6
19 Aston Villa - 5
20. Watford - 4

Goals from counter:
19. Newcastle, Villa, West Ham, Palace, Brighton - 1
20. Norwich - 0

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I hope if it's cancelled (all English leagues):

- then the Premier League clubs share out some money with the lower leagues otherwise dozens of clubs will fold?

- Premier League players forego/freeze some of their disgustingly high salaries for the greater good of the game and the fans.

Of course ridiculous suggestions and won't happen.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other option - that used to happen in amateur football (and maybe still does) is for positions to be decided on average points per game, extrapolated to 46. In other words, a team that has 57 points after 38 games is deemed to have finished the season with 69 points.

I've had a look at the EFL rules and, rather amazingly, I can see no mention of what happens if a league is not completed. That looks a bit of an oversight to me,

I must say that those who say that it would never end up in courts are being idealistic. Sheff Utd sued West Ham when they were relegated after the Hammers played players they didn't 'own' - and won compensation. So, there's a precedent there. And already this season we've had talk of Middlesbrough and Massive suing the EFL, so football clubs and courts aren't strangers to each other

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The other option - that used to happen in amateur football (and maybe still does) is for positions to be decided on average points per game, extrapolated to 46. In other words, a team that has 57 points after 38 games is deemed to have finished the season with 69 points.

Having just checked the table, and done a couple of quick sums, I can confirm that yes, this is an acceptable solution. :thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But we currently have no idea how long it would have to be postponed for - you have to reach a cut-off point for everyone (not just the PL). And you're creating further complications down the line in order to accommodate the remainder of this season, which would damage the integrity of the following seasons competitions, with many issues to resolve primarily around the schedule. We'd go into the next season with all kinds of complex truncations and unsatisfactory situations. It'd be a mess.

IMO we take the hit now and make a clean break. Season 19/20 finishes as though it never started, and we begin the next season (whenever that may be) with a clean slate, starting as we were last summer. 'Take it on the chin' as we've been told before. Yes there'll be some massive disappointments, but football really isn't all THAT important in the great scheme of things, it certainly isn't life and death. However they try to resolve this, there will be winners and losers, there's no perfect outcome to fix this. It may not be fixable, so take the simplest option and we all know where we stand.

Liverpool can be "moral champions". Everyone else will just have to get on with it. I lost a precious Excel spreadsheet once with all kinds of important numbers on it that I'd slaved over for months. Gone at the touch of a button. A right shitter, but I started again from scratch and carried on from there. The world continued to revolve. Thats just what football will have to do.

I don't really see why we throw away this season just so that next season is unblemished. Why not just cancel next season and call the current one the 2019/21 season, at the extreme?

I think it's easier to make structural changes to next season that, although different to normal, are equally fair to each club, whereas any kind of cancellation or early finish to this season is going to be manifestly unfair to several teams under either scenario.

I believe also that many lower division clubs will be in serious financial bother because of loss of matchday revenue that was factored in to their planning, but if they get to play the games eventually then they won't lose out.

Obviously this isn't the most important thing Europe is facing right now

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You've got a bit of a soft spot for the Pool, BL.

I'm pleased they're (did I get my they're, theirs, there's right that time ?) going to win it. It'll be nice to see another name on it.

I have a soft spot in isolation for many different teams. It changes a lot on reason. I'm pro-Liverpool at the moment because I think they have played sublime football over the last year.

I've loved European nights since the 70s and last year's home time against Barca is probably now my number 1 memory. And there has been many decades of those.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So, no Government ban yet. Match ON?

Must be. Plan is for the virus to spread initially in order to flatten the curve of infection to avoid pressure on the NHS.

I think it will be the last game for spectators in March and maybe April so I’m going to make the most of it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Must be. Plan is for the virus to spread initially in order to flatten the curve of infection to avoid pressure on the NHS.

I think it will be the last game for spectators in March and maybe April so I’m going to make the most of it.

Given the statement at the press conference that the peak in the UK is 10 to 14 weeks away, which is towards the end of May and into June, we may get to see some games in April.
However if this true than the Euros are in danger along with Test Matches and the new 100 tournament in cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here