Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If....heaven forbid, a player contracts Coved 19 and is one of the unfortunate ones who finish up in ITU and, as has been seen now, can lead to permanent lung damage......how long will it be before we see any sort of football again ? Closed doors or not

It's something that the zealots who want to re-start this season in haste need to contemplate.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If....heaven forbid, a player contracts Coved 19 and is one of the unfortunate ones who finish up in ITU and, as has been seen now, can lead to permanent lung damage......how long will it be before we see any sort of football again ? Closed doors or not

It's something that the zealots who want to re-start this season in haste need to contemplate.

I know covid-19 is a virus, and it's a pandemic and it's totally not the same thing, however, look at some of the serious injuries that have taken place as a result of football being "a contact sport", and how little that contact has been changed in response to the odd event. Look at how the authorities have essentially abdicated responsibility for head injuries to club doctors who can potentially be influenced by their club's (employers) needs over their patient's. Was it Chelsea where the goalkeeper refused to come off after a head injury. There's been a player have a heart attack on the pitch and I don't recall there being any sort of mass testing of all players before the next round of games be played.

It'll be seen as a sad story, but something that can't put the industry at risk. The same financial pressures that are pushing through the return now will still be there when one or two players contract this virus.

I think it would take a more than a handful of serious cases before it has any effect. And then we'd see probably see football as soon as a vaccine is available - they'd be among the first to get them.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I know covid-19 is a virus, and it's a pandemic and it's totally not the same thing, however, look at some of the serious injuries that have taken place as a result of football being "a contact sport", and how little that contact has been changed in response to the odd event. Look at how the authorities have essentially abdicated responsibility for head injuries to club doctors who can potentially be influenced by their club's (employers) needs over their patient's. Was it Chelsea where the goalkeeper refused to come off after a head injury. There's been a player have a heart attack on the pitch and I don't recall there being any sort of mass testing of all players before the next round of games be played.

It'll be seen as a sad story, but something that can't put the industry at risk. The same financial pressures that are pushing through the return now will still be there when one or two players contract this virus.

I think it would take a more than a handful of serious cases before it has any effect. And then we'd see probably see football as soon as a vaccine is available - they'd be among the first to get them.
The difference is, a broken leg cant kill that players family and friends.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The difference is, a broken leg cant kill that players family and friends.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I know, and made the point myself that I recognise they are not exactly the same.

I still am not sure that an isolated case or a couple of cases would be enough even if the case of the infection extends to family/friends of players. Especially if it extends to them - how can we be sure the player caught the disease as a result of football/training and passed it on to his family, and not that his family members passed it on to him?

If we extend beyond the premier league and look at high profile, big money sports we can point to the NFL and their resistance to concussion protocols, despite numerous cases of players killing themselves and/or killing others and post mortems showing the dementia-like damage to their brains caused by regular concussions. The money-men behind some financially big sports are willing to to dismiss serious health concerns to players, and usually need more than a couple of cases before they act.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If we hadn’t had that ridiculous winter break that Klopp has been whinging on about having, Liverpool would have probably won the title outright before football was suspended.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Think it was actually Lloris at Spurs.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Bundesliga showing how doable this is.

The Prem has a month to copy the German plans and enact them in June.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
With 34 minutes played in the first half of the first game you may have gone a little early there.

It's happening though. So much negativity out there about whether this is possible. It clearly is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
8000 deaths in Germany.
34500 deaths in UK.

It's more "doable" with German figures.

As the Bundesliga had various setbacks over the last few weeks eg infections, players breaking quarantine, NSC’ers salivated that it simply ain’t gonna happen. Salomon Kalou was very briefly championed as an anti-games campaigner for filming lockdown being broken .... then it turned out he was just a dickhead.

Well, it’s happening now.

Italy with huge toll from covid is shortly to open its borders.

Things are changing at a pace.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As the Bundesliga had various setbacks over the last few weeks eg infections, players breaking quarantine, NSC’ers salivated that it simply ain’t gonna happen. Salomon Kalou was very briefly championed as an anti-games campaigner for filming lockdown being broken .... then it turned out he was just a dickhead.

Well, it’s happening now.

Italy with huge toll from covid is shortly to open its borders.

Things are changing at a pace.

People are concerned and don’t think football is worth it. ‘Salivating’ is not really the right word.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52650121

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It's happening though. So much negativity out there about whether this is possible. It clearly is.

As I said to you previously how pray tell do you suppose we import the German methodology and population dynamics so that our R number and medical capabilities are comparable within a month?

No one is doubting IF it’s possible but whether we should either because of the risk of contraction to players ancillary staff etc OR because of the bad taste it’s already leaving in many peoples mouths whilst the general public are still dying in their hundreds OR (if you need a 3rd reason) because in the general population R is rising and the premature reduction to lockdown, coinciding as it will with a 7/10 day period of seasonable and tempting weather that many idiots can’t resist,
is likely to lead to a second spike round about ooh let’s see June 12th...

But yeah, let’s do it because the German’s have....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Honestly, watching the German football without fans is a bit shit. only reason to even watch would be for the Albion, and even then, it would probably be seriously depressing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here