Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
As I said to you previously how pray tell do you suppose we import the German methodology and population dynamics so that our R number and medical capabilities are comparable within a month?

No one is doubting IF it’s possible but whether we should either because of the risk of contraction to players ancillary staff etc OR because of the bad taste it’s already leaving in many peoples mouths whilst the general public are still dying in their hundreds OR (if you need a 3rd reason) because in the general population R is rising and the premature reduction to lockdown, coinciding as it will with a 7/10 day period of seasonable and tempting weather that many idiots can’t resist,
is likely to lead to a second spike round about ooh let’s see June 12th...

But yeah, let’s do it because the German’s have....

Think your mostly right, however I think R is falling in the general population, it’s care homes and infections within hospitals that have caused R to rise slightly. (I think)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
8000 deaths in Germany.
34500 deaths in UK.

It's more "doable" with German figures.

Yes, and no. As the deaths suggest, we should have a far higher rate of immunity than Germany, therefore if we can get cases down (big if) it should be considerably easier to keep the R down easing in a similar way to Germany.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Yes, and no. As the deaths suggest, we should have a far higher rate of immunity than Germany, therefore if we can get cases down (big if) it should be considerably easier to keep the R down easing in a similar way to Germany.

We are light years behind the Germans!

U.K 468 new deaths today with 3,450 new cases.

Germany 0 new deaths today with 114 new cases.

sneak-up-shout-at-the-virus-then-run-britons-mock-boris-johnsons-new-stay-alert-slogan.jpg :moo:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We are light years behind the Germans!

U.K 468 new deaths today with 3,450 new cases.

Germany 0 new deaths today with 114 new cases.

View attachment 123699 :moo:

We’re not restarting competitive football now - nor should we be.

We might be in a month or so’s time. If at that point we’re still seeing high cases and deaths, then I totally agree with you. I do think it’s a tight one myself timeframe wise.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...going by Geordies in phone ins including on 5Live tonight...first job for the Saudi trillionaires, get world class manager in.

Well, going by what happened to Jamal Ahmad Khashoggi, let's hope they don't bring their doctors too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You have no idea of the blind PANIC I have just endured. Holding it upside down, dribbling out red wine, whilst frantically scrubbing the keyboard with wetwipes. I need this frigging thing for WORK now.

Anyways, screen and keyboard upside-down wiped, its now had a shutdown and restart, all appears to be well so far. I've actually trashed 2 laptops this exact way (those two in the space of a month).

Most unfortunate.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You have no idea of the blind PANIC I have just endured. Holding it upside down, dribbling out red wine...

That sounds uncannily like the aftermath of my first date with Paula Johnston, who I'd fancied for ages, when I was seventeen.

****ing disaster :facepalm:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
[tweet]1261754002837995520[/tweet]

It appears there is more opposition reported in the Telegraph which is normally more reliable than other rags.

Another thread full of abusive armchair Liverpool fans

- another relegation threatened team trying to avoid going down

- Newcastle are mid table

- um, er, um well yeah but Bruce is going to get the sack so this is just his way of avoiding that

It will be interesting to see what these goons would say if any Liverpool players ended up catching COVID

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another thread full of abusive armchair Liverpool fans

- another relegation threatened team trying to avoid going down

- Newcastle are mid table

- um, er, um well yeah but Bruce is going to get the sack so this is just his way of avoiding that

It will be interesting to see what these goons would say if any Liverpool players ended up catching COVID

Normally you’d say that Newcastle were safe as houses on 35 points. However, I have a feeling that if/when the PL season restarts, then there’s going to be some mental results. Teams threatened with relegation are going to be far more motivated to get match fit prior and play in front of empty stadia than top half teams with nothing to play for, as well as a reticence to get up close to sweary opposition players that might be infected with a deadly virus.

They probably will be safe, but still worth an outside bet if things restart as I reckon that 18th place is going to have 40+ points this season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Normally you’d say that Newcastle were safe as houses on 35 points. However, I have a feeling that if/when the PL season restarts, then there’s going to be some mental results. Teams threatened with relegation are going to be far more motivated to get match fit prior and play in front of empty stadia than top half teams with nothing to play for, as well as a reticence to get up close to sweary opposition players that might be infected with a deadly virus.

They probably will be safe, but still worth an outside bet if things restart as I reckon that 18th place is going to have 40+ points this season.

Yeah this.

Newcastle have to play 5 of the bottom 6. + Sheffield Utd.
They look particularly vulnerable to some "shock" results.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Very soon to be unemployed Steve Bruce, going by Geordies in phone ins including on 5Live tonight. First job for the Saudi trillionaires, get world class manager in.

Heard that on 5L. The deluded geordie was trying to claim that Mike Ashley had abused the fans human rights just as badly as the Saudi's record on human rights!!!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Bruce isn't against the restart, he just thinks it should be pushed back to allow teams adequete time to get players fit, he's said probably the end of June would be a realistic start point.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We’re not restarting competitive football now - nor should we be.

We might be in a month or so’s time. If at that point we’re still seeing high cases and deaths, then I totally agree with you. I do think it’s a tight one myself timeframe wise.

This is it, everyone seems to be applying today's conditions to something which 'may' start in 4/5 weeks time. Personally I agree on the time frame, I'd expect the first games to be pushed back to the end of June so probably another 5/6 weeks and if you look at where we were that many weeks ago to where we are now things will hopefully look very different, if they don't and the R rate and deaths stay stubbornly high then football won't yet return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here