Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Phase 3 of the governments relaxation of lock down restrictions will come into play on 29th June, at that point ‘Behind Closed Doors’ sporting events may commence.

That is assuming effects of phases 1 (18th May) and 2 (8th June) don’t see an increase in infections.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Phase 3 of the governments relaxation of lock down restrictions will come into play on 29th June, at that point ‘Behind Closed Doors’ sporting events may commence.

That is assuming effects of phases 1 (18th May) and 2 (8th June) don’t see an increase in infections.

Would a starting date of 29th June leave enough time to complete the season? I was under the impression they were acting as though time would've run out if they didn't kick off by 12th June. If we have wiggle room of even a couple of weeks backwards, that could make a big difference.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Would a starting date of 29th June leave enough time to complete the season? I was under the impression they were acting as though time would've run out if they didn't kick off by 12th June. If we have wiggle room of even a couple of weeks backwards, that could make a big difference.

I imagine the government don’t give two hoots about how football sorts out it’s timeframe, and so they shouldn’t, it’s up to the football governing bodies to work it out for themselves, it’s not like they haven’t got millions of pounds collectively to throw at it.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Nicely coincides with Andone's loan ending on June 30th.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I imagine the government don’t give two hoots about how football sorts out it’s timeframe, and so they shouldn’t, it’s up to the football governing bodies to work it out for themselves, it’s not like they haven’t got millions of pounds collectively to throw at it.

Hmm, football is good for the exchequer though. And much like Coronation Street, is likely to distract the plebs from ever marching on Downing Street with pitchforks and burning torches if the government is really bad. I think they would quite like to get it back on.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

That’s Ireland’s plan not UK.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think where people have lost their heads is thinking that life will be worse without football. We're being treated like terrorists entering football grounds and treated like addicts when it comes to the cost of it. The game has turned into a product. Of course its going to **** up. You could see this coming a long time ago.

Well yeah, I agree largely with what you're saying. I'd love there to be changes in football - I'm sure every fan would. But that wasn't really the main point you seemed to be making. I was largely referring to your point about life never being the same again: crowds never being back to sport; nothing fun ever happening again; never even feeling free to go for a walk. That 100% won't be the case.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
This is the Irish plan. Bit of a coincidence if all the dates are the same.

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-t...map-for-reopening-society-and-business-and-u/

Indeed, it reads very similar, perhaps it's a joint venture? No mention in the Irish one about being able to play golf in Phase 1 though.

Or the Irish plan is being circulated on social media as the UK plan.

My insight came from a friend who is undergoing hideous medical treatment at the moment and was provided this information as a "heads up" by the consultant treating him. That said, there's no reason for his consultant to know anything in advance so yes, could just be rumour mongering.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Indeed, it reads very similar, perhaps it's a joint venture? No mention in the Irish one about being able to play golf in Phase 1 though.

My insight came from a friend who is undergoing hideous medical treatment at the moment and was provided this information as a "heads up" by the consultant treating him. That said, there's no reason for his consultant to know anything in advance so yes, could just be rumour mongering.

This from the detail of the first phase in the Irish plan.

Public sports grounds
Public sport amenities (for example: pitches, tennis courts, golf courses) can be opened where social distancing can be maintained.

It doesn’t really matter as we will find out on Sunday but I’d be surprised if we were given as much detail as the Irish.

May 4, 2020
Well yeah, I agree largely with what you're saying. I'd love there to be changes in football - I'm sure every fan would. But that wasn't really the main point you seemed to be making. I was largely referring to your point about life never being the same again: crowds never being back to sport; nothing fun ever happening again; never even feeling free to go for a walk. That 100% won't be the case.

We're soon going to be monitored everywhere we go. Surely going for a walk won't have that same freedom it had before? Why is that even being debated let alone word twisted?

Are you not curious of this wave 2 the media keep mystic megging? With that sort of media fear broadcasted world wide, then yeah, how are we ever going to get people packing out stadiums and arenas ever again not to mention the crippled economy and the cost of actually going?

The social distancing is going to be groomed into society as normality. Its going to be a thing which will save lives so everyone will obey to it. So surely that means things like crowds at sporting events and music gigs are no longer and will all now be done through a webcam? Doesn't this virus travel through water? If so, that's bye bye to my wedding plans at Butlins.

I'll admit saying there will be no more fun the way things are going was wrong and far too doom and gloom. Of course we will still have fun. But maybe this will be a time for new ways and methods of achieving it?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I imagine pubs will still be shut when / if these behind-closed-doors games take place, resulting in untold numbers of back garden football parties and BBQs. Seems to me to be a perfect storm for kick starting a second wave of this thing and all the stuff we’ve been through for the past 6 weeks will have been for nothing? :shrug:

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Where does this image of masses of people just waiting to break all the social distancing rules come from. As far as I can tell from anecdote and polls more people are scared of relaxing the lockdown than are gagging to break it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Where does this image of masses of people just waiting to break all the social distancing rules come from. As far as I can tell from anecdote and polls more people are scared of relaxing the lockdown than are gagging to break it.
There are always a number of selfish idiots who have been breaking the lockdown all along. This will merely encourage more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here