Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That will be the case for the many clubs that’ll go bust if football doesn’t resume.

The moment pay isn’t paid, contracts are broken, players can walk.

Until now, they and their agents hold all the aces, but in finding new employment in that new football world, it won’t be as before.

Unless the PL are able to complete this season at some stage, and so retain the vast broadcasting monies.

Everything doesn't hinge on completing this season. There will be another one however that one will be under different rules with contingencies already agreed in the event of same thing occurring.

As for TV money, the tv companies, probably particularly Sky, use football as the showpiece of their packages to attract subscribers. It doesn't serve them to undermine the sport either. TV needs football just as much as football needs TV.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes that 7/8pm slot has become compulsive listening...and I agree with everything you said...Sutton seemed to be rowing back a lot from his comments when Barber was on earlier in the week...

“Well paid professionals” nail on head

I like Sutton, he’s a warmer person that the miserable pundit image he concocted when 5live first signed him up.

He’s making several S turns on this. Last week championed on NSC as the God of ‘the season must now end’ brigade after vehement comments, then on Monday night one of Paul Barber’s best mates agreeing that this season must be completed, finally tonight trying to put controversial words into the thoughtful Gary Lewin’s mouth as to why this is medically unworkable when Lewin said nothing of the sort.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I like Sutton, he’s a warmer person that the miserable pundit image he concocted when 5live first signed him up.

He’s making several S turns on this. Last week championed on NSC as the God of ‘the season must now end’ brigade after vehement comments, then on Monday night one of Paul Barber’s best mates agreeing that this season must be completed, finally tonight trying to put controversial words into the thoughtful Gary Lewin’s mouth as to why this is medically unworkable when Lewin said nothing of the sort.

Oh I agree with Sutton and can’t argue with everything else you have said...I say this is all unNSC like :D

May 4, 2020
Who knows...certainly you can’t say never with certainty either

I'm a strong believer that things will all turn out better in the end from this, but not back to normal. Until we all wake up and accept the truth that this virus was really actually caused from a combination of extremely needless VAR decisions and Jamie Carragher analysing it, then you can say never again to a future for football I'm afraid.

Wake up people.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm a strong believer that things will all turn out better in the end from this, but not back to normal. Until we all wake up and accept the truth that this virus was really actually caused from a combination of extremely needless VAR decisions and Jamie Carragher analysing it, then you can say never again to a future for football I'm afraid.

Wake up people.

Lol

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Everything doesn't hinge on completing this season. There will be another one however that one will be under different rules with contingencies already agreed in the event of same thing occurring.

As for TV money, the tv companies, probably particularly Sky, use football as the showpiece of their packages to attract subscribers. It doesn't serve them to undermine the sport either. TV needs football just as much as football needs TV.

Paul Barber was very clear on Monday night, that he and his 19 counterparts are working with a common goal of this season being completed. And yes, he openly said that it is about the money. Not my take, everyone here who truly listened said PB sent that clear message.

Turns out that Sky gifting the PL £0.75b for nothing, was a Chinese Whisper. Not sure of the sauce ... a tabloid? Paul Barber, Steve Parish, and the excellent football journalists Ian Dennis and Rory Smith have all confirmed that this season needs to be completed to save the £0.75m of income. Moreover, the BBC’s Ian Dennis came up with a total figure of £1.15b as the loss, if it isn’t. The EFL have costed their loss at £0.2b.

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I personally don't think it'll come back anything near how it was and ever will. This is the beginning of the end of football I reckon/dread.

This lockdown isn't some little blip in normality. This is where normality changes. Can't see football lasting too long with this change. Or anything fun for that matter. Even going out for a walk looks like it will never have that freedom it once had. Really doubt people will be giving 2 tosses about football by that point let alone playing the game n the parks with their mates. So try all you like Sky and everyone else still trying to squeeze every penny you can out of the game even during a lock down, but without us the fans there , footballs got no chance.

The bubble has burst

Blimey that's the most doom laden post I've seen on here and there's been plenty. I'd be willing to bet we are playing in front of a full crowd at the Amex by Christmas latest and hugging the person next to us when we score. Why on earth won't you be able to go for a walk? I intend to have lots of fun if I can. Of course it's all guesswork (and I know as little as anyone) but i think a lot of people have lost their minds.
That's said of course we shouldn't go back till we have got the risk to a manageable level.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Paul Barber was very clear on Monday night, that he and his 19 counterparts are working with a common goal of this season being completed. And yes, he openly said that it is about the money. Not my take, everyone here who truly listened said PB sent that clear message.

Turns out that Sky gifting the PL £0.75b for nothing, was a Chinese Whisper. Not sure of the sauce ... a tabloid? Paul Barber, Steve Parish, and the excellent football journalists Ian Dennis and Rory Smith have all confirmed that this season needs to be completed to save the £0.75m of income. Moreover, the BBC’s Ian Dennis came up with a total figure of £1.15b as the loss if it isn’t. The EFL have costed their loss at £0.2b.

From what I read there was no real talk about Sky "gifting" any money, but that they would pay and in compensation get another year on the current deal, which would perhaps have been a win-win deal since these tv deals have become more and more expensive for the tv companies.

Possible that Sky backed out of a proposal like that though since it was already possible that the TV deals had reached their peak, something that probably is increasingly likely with this pandemic happening.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From what I read there was no real talk about Sky "gifting" any money, but that they would pay and in compensation get another year on the current deal, which would perhaps have been a win-win deal since these tv deals have become more and more expensive for the tv companies.

Possible that Sky backed out of a proposal like that though since it was already possible that the TV deals had reached their peak, something that probably is increasingly likely with this pandemic happening.

No surprise, it was the Daily Mail. I did guess a tabloid.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8211063/Sky-Sports-not-ask-371m-rebate-Premier-League-season-cancelled.html

Are you able to get BBC 5live in Sweden? Ian Dennis this Monday late morning/early afternoon was illuminating on the money side, he’s well respected.

Clubs like Brighton are making big losses as it is, so need every bit of their 2019/20 income.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No surprise, it was the Daily Mail. I did guess a tabloid.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8211063/Sky-Sports-not-ask-371m-rebate-Premier-League-season-cancelled.html

Are you able to get BBC 5live in Sweden? Ian Dennis this Monday late morning/early afternoon was illuminating on the money side, he’s well respected.

Clubs like Brighton are making big losses as it is, so need every bit of their 2019/20 income.

Dont know. Sometimes BBC is like "yes mate of course you could watch our dirty expensive show paid by the UK tax payers" and othertimes "no way you can see this lame food show, we cant reveal our culinary excellence to foreigners".

Sounds interesting though, going to check it out tomorrow.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Interesting.

Government documents, PL documents, Sky documents ?

I can’t find any reports referencing PL fixtures restarting in October according to any leaked documents.

The only reference to October seemingly being reported at the moment is by The Mirror suggesting that’s when fans may be allowed to attend games again under current government plans for lifting restrictions.

www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-fans-could-attend-matches-21986944.amp

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm sure the football authorities are in financial negotiations with the TV companies and sponsors. Weeks ago I heard a suggestion that all monies are released for the 19/20 season for clubs to pay the bills but offer a reduced package for future years until we get back to where we were.
I'm sure this would mean reduced salaries for players however if this means a new pay rate so be it. In the High Street many are taking pay cuts or seeing redundancy so why not renegotiate new player contracts while closing the current season as it is and build for a new season whenever that might be.
I think players and agents will have to be realistic that football will have a vastly reduced income and to save the game and clubs they are going to have no alternative but to take pay cuts.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
All players reporting back to training Monday. So I’m told.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I personally don't think it'll come back anything near how it was and ever will. This is the beginning of the end of football I reckon/dread.

How can something which they call a spectators sport survive without spectators? It clearly won't. And anyways, I bet there's been a massive post coronavirus attitude change amongst fans globally about the financial side of football now? It's getting revolting how the money is being handled and all what's happened as a result is predictable top flight football in every country. It's the same old story every season now. Football is in a bad state and it's us fans who suffer the most from it.

This lockdown isn't some little blip in normality. This is where normality changes. Can't see football lasting too long with this change. Or anything fun for that matter. Even going out for a walk looks like it will never have that freedom it once had. Really doubt people will be giving 2 tosses about football by that point let alone playing the game n the parks with their mates. So try all you like Sky and everyone else still trying to squeeze every penny you can out of the game even during a lock down, but without us the fans there , footballs got no chance.

The bubble has burst

Blimey, some people really have lost their heads with this.

Of course we'll be back to normal. You do realise that plagues and pandemics have hit humanity since we existed? This is nothing new. And we're far better equipped to deal with them now than ever before, which seems hard to believe when you read the news I'll admit.

We'll be back to normal, of course we will. We might have to be patient, but 30k will be back at the Amex, that's a certainty. I'm hoping this will do football some good in terms of the obscene money involved at top level. I really hope so.

May 4, 2020
Blimey, some people really have lost their heads with this.

Of course we'll be back to normal. You do realise that plagues and pandemics have hit humanity since we existed? This is nothing new. And we're far better equipped to deal with them now than ever before, which seems hard to believe when you read the news I'll admit.

We'll be back to normal, of course we will. We might have to be patient, but 30k will be back at the Amex, that's a certainty. I'm hoping this will do football some good in terms of the obscene money involved at top level. I really hope so.

I think where people have lost their heads is thinking that life will be worse without football. We're being treated like terrorists entering football grounds and treated like addicts when it comes to the cost of it. The game has turned into a product. Of course its going to **** up. You could see this coming a long time ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here