Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apparently Spurs haven't made up their mind yet, but the other 19 clubs have - 13 for, 6 against.

Tks - hadn't seen that (or I missed it). Assume it's the bottom 6 ?

Edit - actually perhaps the bottom 3 want to go ahead - anything that gives them a chance of getting out of trouble...............

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Tks - hadn't seen that (or I missed it). Assume it's the bottom 6 ?

Edit - actually perhaps the bottom 3 want to go ahead - anything that gives them a chance of getting out of trouble...............

I think if it doesn't go ahead there wouldn't be relegation anyway.
Same voting procedure might be 17-3 in favour.....que legal binfest.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Belgian,France and Holland all seem to have virus under control. Despite this all consider not safe to start football until September. We think opposite. Why / Our TV deal is worth more. Doesnt make sense

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Fortunately it won't be my decision.

At the moment there is no 'cure'.

At the moment, the numbers are far too high to 'take the risk'. Or should I say far too high to ask players to risk their and their families lives for a game football....( and I use the term 'football' very lightly )/

There may well be a much better way of testing, isolating and just being 'safe' long before a vaccine is discovered/invented, but there isn't one yet.

I'm ever hopeful there will be eventually be a way out, but I'm not a scientist or an epidemiologist.

The numbers aren't that high. 108 people under 35 have died of coronavirus up to 24th April - too high, certainly, but most of them a;ready had serious health issues. Very few were fit athletes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Good article and the quote which stuck out for me was:

“When you say to any club, ‘We want you to agree to a bunch of rule changes that may make it more likely that you get relegated’, they’re not thinking about TV money, they’re thinking, ‘My goodness, am I going to agree to something that results in me being relegated and losing £200million?”

Along very similar lines to our own. Villa would definitely have a cause for complaint as they have 6 home games from a remaining 10.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'm probably the most pro person on here on the season resuming but fundamentally changing the laws of the games, more subs, shorter games is quite frankly ridiculous, I can't beleive that this is really being mooted. I can take behind closed doors and at a push neutral venues but none of this nonsense. Wouldn't surprise me if Taylor is putting this out there to turn people further against restarting and protect his players from having to play.

Beat me to it.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Good article and the quote which stuck out for me was:

“When you say to any club, ‘We want you to agree to a bunch of rule changes that may make it more likely that you get relegated’, they’re not thinking about TV money, they’re thinking, ‘My goodness, am I going to agree to something that results in me being relegated and losing £200million?”

Along very similar lines to our own. Villa would definitely have a cause for complaint as they have 6 home games from a remaining 10.

Exactly!
Villa have 6 home games left out of ten so potentially they lose more than us by playing at neutral grounds. The vast majority of their points this season have been at home in front of a raucous home following.

Re the financial point, let's be frank about it, we have never wanted to give an inch on potential relegation due to the financial impact. Relegation this year would be a particular disaster as empty Championship grounds would savage our income with a higher proportion of a Championship team's revenue coming from match day receipts compared with tv money. Ok, we'd have parachute payments, but relegation would require significant cost cutting measures.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Exactly!
Villa have 6 home games left out of ten so potentially they lose more than us by playing at neutral grounds. The vast majority of their points this season have been at home in front of a raucous home following.

Re the financial point, let's be frank about it, we have never wanted to give an inch on potential relegation due to the financial impact. Relegation this year would be a particular disaster as empty Championship grounds would savage our income with a higher proportion of a Championship team's revenue coming from match day receipts compared with tv money. Ok, we'd have parachute payments, but relegation would require significant cost cutting measures.

Or we would be much better placed financially than most Championship clubs and would therefore have more chance of coming up at the first attempt? You could argue that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Or we would be much better placed financially than most Championship clubs and would therefore have more chance of coming up at the first attempt? You could argue that.

Yup.

Also clubs dont lose those insane money if they bounce immediatly up, the parachute payments the first year is pretty good.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Would we though? We'd have to reduce our costs quite deeply, getting some of our bigger earners off the wage bill. If we go down then the younger (cheaper players wages wise) could come to the fore.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Once they threaten relegation to those in the bottom 3 on a points per game basis, they will soon want to play in neutral venues....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The numbers aren't that high. 108 people under 35 have died of coronavirus up to 24th April - too high, certainly, but most of them a;ready had serious health issues. Very few were fit athletes.

‘Only’ 108 have DIED.

You (along with the rest of the world) have no idea what all the long-term effects of this new virus might be. Significantly reduced lung capacity is reported to be one of them, in some cases. Why should the players be expected to risk their futures unnecessarily, purely on the grounds that they will ‘almost certainly not die’?

It is ****ing ridiculous

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
‘Only’ 108 have DIED.

You (along with the rest of the world) have no idea what all the long-term effects of this new virus might be. Significantly reduced lung capacity is reported to be one of them, in some cases. Why should the players be expected to risk their futures unnecessarily, purely on the grounds that they will ‘almost certainly not die’?

It is ****ing ridiculous

Exactly. And seemingly all in the name of wanting to watch a game of football. It’s stuff like this that gives football fans a bad name with the general public.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup.

Also clubs dont lose those insane money if they bounce immediatly up, the parachute payments the first year is pretty good.

The Albion lose £27m a year, before player trading. That’s based on broadcasting income of £113m.

Parachute payments in year one are £42.6m, giving a drop in income of £70m, and a potential loss in the Championship of £97m if the Board took no actions.

Of course TB won’t allow that to happen on relegation. Some players would be sold to raise transfer fees and cull players from the squad on £3m a year. At the last count our annual payroll costs were £102m and growing fast.

Three ex-PL clubs will have big decisions to make later in the year. Hopefully we’re not one of them.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Once they threaten relegation to those in the bottom 3 on a points per game basis, they will soon want to play in neutral venues....

I'm not sure at all about that.
Firstly, if the rules are spelt out like that then only the bottom 3 will have a reason to restart, nobody else apart from those few teams that could be in contention for a place in Europe (but aren't at the moment) will be in favour.
Secondly, there will be a big legal challenge if the PL try to change the rules of the league which, in itself, may prevent the next season starting (as there will be uncertainty over who will be in which league).

The only way to avoid playing all remaining games in the correct venue is if the PL (on instruction from the Govt) announces that the season is ended and is void.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here