Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I dont think it would be like that. Everyone involved including squads trainers support staff and match officials would need to be tested well before the restart and then those ok would be isolated for the whole rest of season (assuming it is finished quickly with matches every few days.) Anyone positive would have to be separated and only rejoin squad after 14 days.

I thought it was anyone testing positive, had to be isolated for 7 days and anyone he/she was in contact with, has to isolate for 14 days.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep, that was the way they were selling it on ITV news, with the tag "football's coming home", which I thought was a bit crass!
If you watch ITV, what do you expect :)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The restart of Premier League football behind closed doors seems to include testing of everyone involved pre-match and it also seems to pre-suppose a negative outcome to 100% of those tests. There doesn't seem to be a protocol for players and staff testing positive on the day of the match. Let's say Brighton are playing Liverpool behind closed doors. Klopp and Mo Salah are asymptomatic, but test positive on the day of the match. Does the game go ahead without them or does the whole Liverpool squad go in to self isolation for 14 days? All the testing seems to be based on confirming nobody has the virus, but what if they do?

It just takes one...........

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I dont think it would be like that. Everyone involved including squads trainers support staff and match officials would need to be tested well before the restart and then those ok would be isolated for the whole rest of season (assuming it is finished quickly with matches every few days.) Anyone positive would have to be separated and only rejoin squad after 14 days.

Could well be...Nobody knows for sure

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Really? Come on Imp. That's a weak argument.

I've seen weaker! It's just that I don't think we should demonise the owner of a medium-sized loss-making company as being money-obsessed when he tries to limit the extent of those losses. This is the situation many owners of football clubs - the Albion for example - find themselves in. The fact that they have had to acquire expensive assets in an effort to remain competitive doesn't change that. They are doing their best to stay afloat in a tough old world.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I thought it was anyone testing positive, had to be isolated for 7 days and anyone he/she was in contact with, has to isolate for 14 days.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That is flawed from the start. Firstly, there are plenty that have tested negative but have had the virus, ie false negatives. If they are with the squad they will be infecting others. Any team they play will then have run the risk of getting infected and, if teams are playing at least two games a week the numbers increase rapidly.
Also, if you are removing players because of covid then the integrity of the competition is compromised drastically. Say we have four first team regulars who are suffering symptoms that means, in a relegation battle, we are at a strong disadvantage. If those players have trained with the whole squad before eventually testing positive then are we going to have give the game to the opposition!

I'm sure the powers that be have thought of these things but the lack of transparency means we are all left to speculate!!!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've seen weaker! It's just that I don't think we should demonise the owner of a medium-sized loss-making company as being money-obsessed when he tries to limit the extent of those losses. This is the situation many owners of football clubs - the Albion for example - find themselves in. The fact that they have had to acquire expensive assets in an effort to remain competitive doesn't change that. They are doing their best to stay afloat in a tough old world.

Fair enough. Argument accepted. Then I guess we (I) have to criticise the system that lets this happen. But then we're talking the
difference between capitalism and communism. So then I blame myself for living in and supporting a state and a football system where
this happens.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
That is flawed from the start. Firstly, there are plenty that have tested negative but have had the virus, ie false negatives. If they are with the squad they will be infecting others. Any team they play will then have run the risk of getting infected and, if teams are playing at least two games a week the numbers increase rapidly.
Also, if you are removing players because of covid then the integrity of the competition is compromised drastically. Say we have four first team regulars who are suffering symptoms that means, in a relegation battle, we are at a strong disadvantage. If those players have trained with the whole squad before eventually testing positive then are we going to have give the game to the opposition!

I'm sure the powers that be have thought of these things but the lack of transparency means we are all left to speculate!!!

I agree with just about all your post.

There will be a time I'm sure when games behind closed doors can be properly and safely monitored, but I think this is at the very least, several months away.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thank you Drew. Those were the points I was trying to make. It isn't the testing that's important, it's the outcomes and the impact on the integrity of the competition.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Serie A clubs will be back team training on 18 May, with hopes that 2019/20 fixtures will resume a couple of weeks later.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52436317

This follows Bundesliga clubs being back training since since the beginning of April, with a pencilled-in start date for matches of 9 May subject to government approval.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It's just been mentioned that on BBC FiveLive sports desk that both Brighton and Arsenal players have returned to training on an individual basis with social distancing being observed at their training grounds.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Particularly entertaining press piece about rule changes to potentially deal with the fixtures happening in a shorter period of time such as additional subs. It also went on to mention social distancing including no contact at corners or dead balls it felt like april 1st were it even considered it would turn this desire to finish the season into a farce

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Particularly entertaining press piece about rule changes to potentially deal with the fixtures happening in a shorter period of time such as additional subs. It also went on to mention social distancing including no contact at corners or dead balls it felt like april 1st were it even considered it would turn this desire to finish the season into a farce

Jeez, are we really so utterly desperate for football that we're prepared to utterly bastardise it to this extent? I'd rather watch proper football in 6 months time than this gash in 6 weeks.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Jeez, are we really so utterly desperate for football that we're prepared to utterly bastardise it to this extent? I'd rather watch proper football in 6 months time than this gash in 6 weeks.

This. In typical PL style, a total and utter farce.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

VAR review: Potential breach of social distancing

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Restarting the season lacks integrity as it is without changing rules. Contact is a key part of the game. To me it would become a different game and if teams suffered relegation as a result of that they would be rightly aggrieved, whether its us or any other team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here