Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Either finish it off in front of crowds or don't bother. If that isn't until December so be it.

Silent

Apr 16, 2015
Obviously I'm bias (Bournemouth fan), but next season has to take precedence over this for the Football League. Wiping out next season in favour of finishing this one would see half of the 72 go into Administration without any income.

For the PL, I'm sure they'll find a way to finish so clubs don't have to give up the money. To pass any vote they'll need 14/20. There are 6 of us at the bottom that will almost certainly vote against anything that involves relegation, so they'll have to make sure the other 14 are incredibly happy to pass any vote with it.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It seems to me that playing behind closed doors before June 30th, but also removing relegation, fits the least worst solution.

We'll still be social-distancing in June, and not congregating in gatherings of more than two. That will still be compulsory and will still include footballers (except those with white Range Rovers and a penchant for driving home from all night parties).

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I can't really believe that anyone in authority is actually seriously having this conversation at the moment... The deputy chief medical officer said only yesterday we could be in lockdown for up to 6 months, so not sure what makes football think it's above that in any way?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We are still in March ffs. At a time when we are all having to show a lot of patience and not make too many plans in our personal lives, the same applies to football. One thing is for certain, the current programme has to be finished. The earliest any decision could be taken is likely to be some time in May. If Government restrictions are being eased a little, then some planning could take place.

One thing that clearly isn't for certain is that this season has to be finished. Statements like that it are nonsensical.

Did you see the daily briefing yesterday where the suggestion is that the social distancing measure could well be in place for 6 months yet you are still thinking the league will be in a position to make a decision in May! Even if they did have a plan in by the end of May, that leaves June and July to play the 8 games and get an effective pre season training in. Social distancing is likely to be in place until the end of June and probably longer and whilst it is, players can't train together let alone play a match.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We'll still be social-distancing in June, and not congregating in gatherings of more than two. That will still be compulsory and will still include footballers (except those with white Range Rovers and a penchant for driving home from all night parties).

Might be quite funny to see the pitch grid marked into 2 by 2 metre squares so no tackling - could be a whole new ball game! Expect to still see Zaha find a way of falling over.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I can't really believe that anyone in authority is actually seriously having this conversation at the moment... The deputy chief medical officer said only yesterday we could be in lockdown for up to 6 months, so not sure what makes football think it's above that in any way?

In fairness, she said six months before life is normal. "This is not to say we would be in complete lockdown for six months."

But, yes, point remains the same: football bosses need to stop talking as if everything will be fixed in near future.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Agree, some people just can't see what is staring them in the face.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In fairness, she said six months before life is normal. "This is not to say we would be in complete lockdown for six months."

But, yes, point remains the same: football bosses need to stop talking as if everything will be fixed in near future.

sadly too many are hearing "6 months of lockdown". we'll have bigger issues than football season if we do that.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Agree, some people just can't see what is staring them in the face.

I’m hoping that the ‘intention’ to finish the season is just hot air and bluff as part of the negotiation with the broadcasters.

If they are seen to not throw the towel in too early and look for solutions until it becomes impossible to complete the season they are better placed when it comes down to talking money.

If they void it now I’m sure the broadcasters would be arguing that they hadn’t exhausted every possibility etc etc.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'd be minded to just shut the season down for good, and just let West Brom and Leeds go to court over it.

If they win, give them a place in an expanded PL; if they lose, start next season with the standard 20 PL clubs. Let the court decide.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

Agreed. To be honest I think that the football authorities are just putting on a pretence. Deep down they know that an early resumption is unrealistic. Also, games behind closed doors would still involve hundreds of people, including playing squads, coaching staff, officials, ball boys/girls, medical staff, stadium staff, security, tv crews, other media, etc.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
sadly too many are hearing "6 months of lockdown". we'll have bigger issues than football season if we do that.

Ok, the 6 months of lockdown wasn't quite accurate on my part, but I'm guessing social distancing will still be around in some form by that stage, which would make a contact sport like football a no go, surely!

Without going back through the whole thread to see if it has already been mentioned, maybe this is the answer...

zorbing.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. To be honest I think that the football authorities are just putting on a pretence. Deep down they know that an early resumption is unrealistic. Also, games behind closed doors would still involve hundreds of people, including playing squads, coaching staff, officials, ball boys/girls, medical staff, stadium staff, security, tv crews, other media, etc.

Travel on buses, flying on planes, staying in hotels, food cooked in unknown environments etc etc...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ok, the 6 months of lockdown wasn't quite accurate on my part, but I'm guessing social distancing will still be around in some form by that stage, which would make a contact sport like football a no go, surely!

i dont, it will be lifted before then, otherwise we'd be facing social breakdown.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You haven't factored in:

* Player contracts ending in June
* The need for a transfer window
* The need for a dedicated pre-season

For all these reasons, football needs a decision/timetable by the end of May, imo.

I don't think things have changed in the past couple of weeks.

I'd expect the current season to be binned, and the new season to start late, with teams forced to play two matches a week regularly*, and all cup games axed.

*The PL might allow bigger squads, with younger/homegrown players to be included.

I don't see this player contract thing as the insurmountable issue that everybody else seems to.

The average club has got, say 6 out of the 25 man squad who's contracts are up at the end of the season. The chances are 2 would have been offered new deals anyway and 4 wouldn't. The 4 who wouldn't, probably haven't played much football, so the viewer won't even notice they've gone.

The key point here of course, is that the great majority of players at any club are on multi year deals so as long as the season can finish by June 2021, the teams are going to have almost entirely the same squad as they started with.

Transfer windows? Who cares?
Pre season? really? OK, let them play a warm up game each and get onto the proper football.

I still don't see any problems involving the lengths of contracts which can't be tackled with a little imagination. Imperfect? yes. Miles better than binning off a season with a team 20 points clear

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Here's what I would do.

I'm working on the basis of my prediction that football won't get back on for about a year from now.

The key principles are .....

1) Finish the 2019/20 season
2) Play all games the next season and following seasons

April and May 2021 = Finish 2019/20 season
June 2021 = Euros
July 2021 to Feb 2022 = play 2020/21 season
April 2022 to October 2022 = play 2021/22 season
December 2022 World Cup
Feb 2023 to Sept 2023 = play 2022/23 season
Nov 2023 to June 2024 = play 2023/24 season
August 2025 = Start season as normal

It will need 4 x six to seven month seasons. The sacrifices are

1) International friendlies / Nations League / tournament qualifiers
2) Domestic Cup competitions (FA Cup to be u23 only for a couple of years)
3) Europa League
4) 3 month summer breaks / winter breaks will go

Things to bear in mind.

1) We can schedule in lots of games in a short period, but player welfare is a consideration. Possible that there is some enforced squad rotation, (eg every player gets a 4th game off) to deal with the fixture pile up
2) We need to make it up to the FA Cup in a big way when we get out of this
3) We need games to be played when people can be there if at all possible
4) Tournament qualification should be done on the basis of ranking, up until we can get qualifiers back for euro 2026
5) We can't be precious about playing football through the summer for a few years
6) Minor competitions were mostly teetering on the brink of existence anyway and are now officially dead
7) As I said in a previous post, don't worry too much, if a few players have contracts up until a particular month. Even if they were to transfer to a rival club, this can in theory happen in January at the moment anyway

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Here's what I would do.

I'm working on the basis of my prediction that football won't get back on for about a year from now.

The key principles are .....

1) Finish the 2019/20 season
2) Play all games the next season and following seasons

April and May 2021 = Finish 2019/20 season
June 2021 = Euros
July 2021 to Feb 2022 = play 2020/21 season
April 2022 to October 2022 = play 2021/22 season
December 2022 World Cup
Feb 2023 to Sept 2023 = play 2022/23 season
Nov 2023 to June 2024 = play 2023/24 season
August 2025 = Start season as normal

It will need 4 x six to seven month seasons. The sacrifices are

1) International friendlies / Nations League / tournament qualifiers
2) Domestic Cup competitions (FA Cup to be u23 only for a couple of years)
3) Europa League
4) 3 month summer breaks / winter breaks will go

Things to bear in mind.

1) We can schedule in lots of games in a short period, but player welfare is a consideration. Possible that there is some enforced squad rotation, (eg every player gets a 4th game off) to deal with the fixture pile up
2) We need to make it up to the FA Cup in a big way when we get out of this
3) We need games to be played when people can be there if at all possible
4) Tournament qualification should be done on the basis of ranking, up until we can get qualifiers back for euro 2026
5) We can't be precious about playing football through the summer for a few years
6) Minor competitions were mostly teetering on the brink of existence anyway and are now officially dead
7) As I said in a previous post, don't worry too much, if a few players have contracts up until a particular month. Even if they were to transfer to a rival club, this can in theory happen in January at the moment anyway

A bit too complex for the simpletons at the FA/PL, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here