Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I've been in the 'let's complete this season' camp but coming round to the disconnect between the last game in early March and the next game some months ahead threatening the integrity of the 19/20 season. If we get back to normal in 6 months time, picking up where we left off starts to feel unreasonable. It will feel like another season in terms of momentum, mindsets, fitness levels, injuries. Any other impediments?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It's the match fitness that I can see creating an issue. Elite athletes can keep fitness up with personal training plans but after a break of 2 months plus with many having endured quarantine periods in that time, you cant just expect them to.kick on at the right levels

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Cuckoo. Land. Cloud. (again)

When will the tw*ts learn it's not about football any more? Of all the stupid, muddle headed thinking ................................................

There will be NO MORE FOOTBALL until the government says so. Even September is very unlikely IMHO, so the new season will have to start, at the very least, late (after this one's been voided); no cups either.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That may be your point but it has nothing to do with what I posted and doesn't make my analogy false, and certainly not for the reason you gave. Apart from that, spot on.
:facepalm:

Still don't agree. Losing a foot is a permanent thing. Void this season is just that, voiding this season. Another season will start some time in the future. This season isn't a sacred cow where as one of your feet might be!!

We've got the Government suggesting social distancing will be going on for up to 6 months meaning no football.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Cuckoo. Land. Cloud. (again)

When will the tw*ts learn it's not about football any more? Of all the stupid, muddle headed thinking ................................................

There will be NO MORE FOOTBALL until the government says so. Even September is very unlikely IMHO, so the new season will have to start, at the very least, late (after this one's been voided); no cups either.

Agree. How do they think they can circumvent social distancing whilst the rest of country is in lockdown, possibly for 6 months.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

While the report is a nice idea, would clubs complain that the season hasn't been the same for all games with a quarter of fixtures played on neutral grounds. I would rather we played Newcastle at the Alex rather than a training facility in the Midlands.
Interesting the report states that players want the season finished and yet Harry Kane is saying a limit of the end of June and Ilaky Gundogan is saying it would be fair to award Liverpool the title.
Right of wrong just relegate the bottom two and promote the top two in each division in all leagues and call it a day until the all clear has been announced.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Behind closed doors is Football In Name Only. Massively unfair to lose home advantage in relegation head to heads.

Integrity of the competition gone ---->>>>

:nono:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Behind closed doors is Football In Name Only. Massively unfair to lose home advantage in relegation head to heads.

Yep, might as well do it on FIFA if they're that desperate to complete the season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Not easy to find something which is fair and does keep the integrity of the competition in these circumstances though.

We have to find the least worst option, which for a football administrator equals the least expensive and litigious option

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not easy to find something which is fair and does keep the integrity of the competition in these circumstances though.

We have to find the least worst option, which for a football administrator equals the least expensive and litigious option
Yes, the least worst option is not relegating any sides unless 38 proper games are played, whilst realising that player contracts ending on June 30th creates legal jeopardy if employment law is broken.

It seems to me that playing behind closed doors before June 30th, but also removing relegation, fits the least worst solution.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe it's just me but I have a sneaking suspicion that if it wasn't for the fact Liverpool were on the verge of the title (i.e. it wasn't clear cut or it was a club who'd won it several times previously like City / Utd) they'd have canned the lot by now.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Maybe it's just me but I have a sneaking suspicion that if it wasn't for the fact Liverpool were on the verge of the title (i.e. it wasn't clear cut or it was a club who'd won it several times previously like City / Utd) they'd have canned the lot by now.

Of course.

I reckon Man City v Liverpool will be the first game scheduled, so it is out of the way in case the plan collapses midway through.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
No, that's the whole point of the analogy. You can't grow it back later if you cut it off. Some people want to 'cut off' this season now. Bin it. I say there is no need to bin it, yet. That means it remains salvable. You cut it off only when it can't be saved. I'll give you an example of when that might be.

Imagine that the start of the next season is agreed, globally, to begin end of Jan 2021. Let's imagine we get to September and it is still too dangerous to restart the current season. At some point the decision will have to be made to cut off the foot and bin 2019-20 (by bin I mean null and void it, although if they want to Duckworth Lewis the missing games and give Liverpool the title, that's another discussion).

At some point a decision will have to be made. But not yet.

A damned fine analogy, if you don't miny my saying so, sir. :wink:

You haven't factored in:

* Player contracts ending in June
* The need for a transfer window
* The need for a dedicated pre-season

For all these reasons, football needs a decision/timetable by the end of May, imo.

I don't think things have changed in the past couple of weeks.

I'd expect the current season to be binned, and the new season to start late, with teams forced to play two matches a week regularly*, and all cup games axed.

*The PL might allow bigger squads, with younger/homegrown players to be included.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All integrity of the season has gone anyway if there is no tangible plan to start playing football again in May. As others mentioned what happens with players contracts? That is an employment law thing nothing to do with football. What happens when Willian & a few others walk away from Chelsea, without being able to sign anyone that dramatically weakens them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Still don't agree. Losing a foot is a permanent thing. Void this season is just that, voiding this season. Another season will start some time in the future. This season isn't a sacred cow where as one of your feet might be!!

We've got the Government suggesting social distancing will be going on for up to 6 months meaning no football.

We seem to be looking at this from different perspectives. I see the voiding of a season as a permanent end to that season. You see the voiding of a season as a small blip in the history of football. I am sure we can agree about that. However, my point quite simply, was there is no need to void this season. Yet. That's all. I presume you still disagree with me. OK mate :shrug:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We are still in March ffs. At a time when we are all having to show a lot of patience and not make too many plans in our personal lives, the same applies to football. One thing is for certain, the current programme has to be finished. The earliest any decision could be taken is likely to be some time in May. If Government restrictions are being eased a little, then some planning could take place.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You haven't factored in:

* Player contracts ending in June
* The need for a transfer window
* The need for a dedicated pre-season

For all these reasons, football needs a decision/timetable by the end of May, imo.

I don't think things have changed in the past couple of weeks.

I'd expect the current season to be binned, and the new season to start late, with teams forced to play two matches a week regularly*, and all cup games axed.

*The PL might allow bigger squads, with younger/homegrown players to be included.

Yes, that makes sense. By then we may have a clearer idea, also, how long this thing will last, and how close we are too a vaccine. My feeling is it may not be deemed safe to start a new season till January. If we isolate effectively now the modellers predict a peak in Autumn.

I think one other thing we can agree on is there is no need to bin this season, now, in March. I say that as someone who is not gutted that The Albion won't be able to complete the battle to avoid relegation and, instead, will get another bash at the PL.

Jul 20, 2003
Take a full year off, hopefully there will be a vaccine early next year, few weeks of training, restart next March ... with crowds.

Clean, safe and fair.

...obviously financial MELTDOWN but then there's going to be a lot of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here