Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Who is in limbo right now? No one is doing anything at all.

Even if this season was written off right now, absolutely no plans at all can be made for next season.

All the league and clubs can do is make provisions for different scenarios so they are well-placed for football to return whenever it is possible for that to happen.

IMHO makes zero sense to just scrub this season just to have next season similarly disrupted right from the off. How do you ever catch up?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I see the Dutch have cancelled the season now. No Champions or relegation.

They reckon no League will finish in Europe this season as well.

Edit: Bit late to the party here, yesterday's news!!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
The Sun’s front page and opening gambit is so misleading it could only have been written by the...well, The Sun I guess.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Who is in limbo right now? No one is doing anything at all.

Even if this season was written off right now, absolutely no plans at all can be made for next season.

All the league and clubs can do is make provisions for different scenarios so they are well-placed for football to return whenever it is possible for that to happen.

Totally agree, someone said on NSC the other day that they can’t stand the not knowing. Get a grip.

My untested theory is that fans of certain clubs such as BHAFC will be in anguish over this far more than many others. My guess is that most fans of Stains, Palace and Burnley are not agonising right now, “desperate for a null and voided season, with anger towards those greedy PL club owners”.

We know the real reason why. Preserving our PL status. No one ever admits that’s the key reason.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Totally agree, someone said on NSC the other day that they can’t stand the not knowing. Get a grip.

My untested theory is that fans of certain clubs such as BHAFC will be in anguish over this far more than many others. My guess is that most fans of Stains, Palace and Burnley are not agonising right now, “desperate for a null and voided season, with anger towards those greedy PL club owners”.

We know the real reason why. Preserving our PL status. No one ever admits that’s the key reason.

I admit it. But I have a logical reason why. Had the season re-started under the same conditions as when it finished then
fine. But the conditions have changed irrevocably. Momentum, injuries, fitness and fatigue from playing more FA cup games in some
instances all contribute to the prevailing conditions AT THE TIME. To restart is a nonsense if you want to be fair. To say it's a level
playing field, if there is a restart is utter boll*x. It was a level playing field back in August. Not now.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014

I'll happily admit I want the season voided so we avoid relegation. I don't feel any shame in that as the conditions in which the season would be completed would likely be a major disadvantage to us.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
So, if that decision is made we won't be in limbo any more?

Nope, we'd still be in limbo.

No, you're totally right, whatever happens everything to an extent will still be up in the air. What I was referring to was more that if like Holland, Belgium and possibly other countries soon, we actually came to an agreement that this season is just not viable to be finished and was officially called as 'ended' (whatever the ramifications might be), then at least all clubs could have more time looking at the longer view and what plans could be put in place for the future.

Players contracts could then end in June with less of a potential impact as might have been the case if this season had drifted on infinitum, better plans could be put in place for the transfer window, and clubs would have more 'clear air' time in which to consider and discuss plans for next season with a view to hopefully starting in August. With a planned start of the next season and a few additional months to prepare, clubs and the powers at be could put in contingency measures and plans as to what would happen if next season was played out to empty stadiums, the impact to TV coverage, sponsorship deals, streaming of club matches to fans, what could be done if the virus hit a squad or squads of players during the 2020/21 season - could sufficient isolation time be put in place for affected clubs etc etc.

Even though I still think next season is genuinely in doubt too, I just feel a decision on this season being made quickly does allow more planning time and preparation to be put in place for the multitude of scenarios that could surround the forthcoming season or seasons.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

You are being a trifle unfair labelling all Brighton fans as wanting the season to end simply due to relegation.

I actually prefer us playing in the championship as I feel it's far more entertaining than the over rated PL. But I have no appetite for a resumption of this season. There are no real winners or losers if that happens. All clubs maybe with the exception of Norwich will make an excuse about why they didn't do so well if they go down or don't achieve a European place. The only club definitely deserving something is Liverpool and even then if they win behind closed doors, they will have been denied most of the joy due to the incredible circumstances.

I simply have no appetite for any more football this season and would only grudgingly support the Albion in any matches they were made to play. I cannot be the only one.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Presumably football behind closed doors can only take place once social distancing rules have been completely withdrawn. But what about the issue of players “spitting”. Almost all professional players do it - presumably to clear their airways. A crowded penalty area immediately after a corner kick might not be a very healthy place to be for quite a few months yet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You are being a trifle unfair labelling all Brighton fans as wanting the season to end simply due to relegation.

I actually prefer us playing in the championship as I feel it's far more entertaining than the over rated PL. But I have no appetite for a resumption of this season. There are no real winners or losers if that happens. All clubs maybe with the exception of Norwich will make an excuse about why they didn't do so well if they go down or don't achieve a European place. The only club definitely deserving something is Liverpool and even then if they win behind closed doors, they will have been denied most of the joy due to the incredible circumstances.

I simply have no appetite for any more football this season and would only grudgingly support the Albion in any matches they were made to play. I cannot be the only one.

Not all. But many imho.

I’ll have a look at BBS, Holmesdale, Saintsweb later to see if they’re also to a man angry that this season is to continue. I genuinely haven’t had a look at all during shutdown.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Presumably football behind closed doors can only take place once social distancing rules have been completely withdrawn. But what about the issue of players “spitting”. Almost all professional players do it - presumably to clear their airways. A crowded penalty area immediately after a corner kick might not be a very healthy place to be for quite a few months yet.

El Hadj Diouf retired.

Whilst Zaha needs to curb his angry spitting habit.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sadly it turns out Bill Shankly was wrong. I would also assert that my view has nothing to do with us facing relegation. I think there are still too many practical obstacles to overcome even with games behind closed doors. The season needs to be null and void and the likes of Liverpool and Leeds and West Bromwich need to suck it up. Peoples lives are so much more important than getting your name on a league trophy and in record books. We will always remember this as the season that Liverpool won the league at a canter. When this is all over football should try and reset on other levels too such as players wages.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

But all the players would be tested negative so spitting not an issue..It wouldn't be corona virus infected gob

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sadly it turns out Bill Shankly was wrong. I would also assert that my view has nothing to do with us facing relegation. I think there are still too many practical obstacles to overcome even with games behind closed doors. The season needs to be null and void and the likes of Liverpool and Leeds and West Bromwich need to suck it up. Peoples lives are so much more important than getting your name on a league trophy and in record books. We will always remember this as the season that Liverpool won the league at a canter. When this is all over football should try and reset on other levels too such as players wages.

Will people die as a result of behind closed doors football? The other 19 PL clubs and separately the other 22 Championship clubs are not doing this to be kind to Leeds, Liverpool and WBA, they could overwhelm them with a vote at their regular meetings.

There must be other reasons as to why those 41 other clubs are so determined, along with UEFA and the Bundesliga that all competitions are completed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Will people die as a result of behind closed doors football? The other 19 PL clubs and separately the other 22 Championship clubs are not doing this to be kind to Leeds, Liverpool and WBA, they could overwhelm them with a vote at their regular meetings.

There must be other reasons as to why those 41 other clubs are so determined, along with UEFA and the Bundesliga that all competitions are completed.

I don’t believe some are that determined, they are just playing the game at the moment till a point when it becomes more impossible to play out the games before the contract cut off.

If they go to early they won’t be listened to and seen as just protecting their own interests.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t believe some are that determined, they are just playing the game at the moment till a point when it becomes more impossible to play out the games before the contract cut off.

If they go to early they won’t be listened to and seen as just protecting their own interests.

You’d stand to gain massively with Spurs staying a CL club for 2020/21, which won’t happen if this season completes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not all. But many imho.

I’ll have a look at BBS, Holmesdale, Saintsweb later to see if they’re also to a man angry that this season is to continue. I genuinely haven’t had a look at all during shutdown.

The way that their teams have lately played will also have a bearing about how they feel about the season. Our season felt progressively worse. As time went on, I just wanted it to be over one way or another, it was not at all enjoyable. Nothing to do with coronavirus, but this situation helped with that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But all the players would be tested negative so spitting not an issue..It wouldn't be corona virus infected gob

Unless they were shut away for a very long time there is no fast way yet to determine whether over has coronavirus. There is lag with the test. You may test positive one day and be infected the next day when the result comes in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here