Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I will say what I have said before. The first thing football needs is a safe restart date. This won't be until the pandemic is gone. The alternative is to put all football players in isolation (for 3 weeks to be safe) with daily testing to ensure the fatballer population is virus free (this includes nonplaying staff) then resume games behind closed doors. All this would have to take place in a single stadium (Wembley?) with some sort of secure transfer of personnel, and a pop up hotel on site. The more you think about this the more ludicrous it sounds. It won't happen.

So, when will the pandemic end? Nobody knows. My guess is not till there is a vaccine (see deaths thread).

So if we can imagine that at some point a decision will be taken that it is safe for football to begin, with crowds (none of this pointless and unworkable behind closed doors bollocks), then we....have a date when it is safe for football to resume.

Then the clubs and authorities can decide whether football should begin again with a finale to the 2019-20 season, or with a brand new season. That decision will depend in part on when football can begin again, and the feasibility of timetabling the end of the old season before the start of a new.

Thus, when football begins again, and what it begins with are entirely separate questions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry, it appears like my point has been combined with thinking Leeds should be promoted if the season ended now, I can see why given the posts I was responding to, but that wasn't really what I was saying. I was more just pointing out what a strong position they are currently in. The question of promoting/relegating if all games haven't been played is an emotive one, I don't see how you can do it personally. Crushing for teams like Liverpool and Leeds, elation for the likes of Norwich.

and Brighton.

Guaranteeing another season of PL riches, after stinking out much of season 2019/20.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
and Brighton.

Guaranteeing another season of PL riches, after stinking out much of season 2019/20.
Bit harsh given we haven't been in the relegation zone at all this season.

The teams that have been in the bottom 3 at any point must be absolutely useless.

Oh, and a goal difference of -8.

The teams with goal differences of -15, -16, -17, -18, -22 and -27 must be appalling.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bit harsh given we haven't been in the relegation zone at all this season.

The teams that have been in the bottom 3 at any point must be absolutely useless.

But we were sinking as the months ploughed on, there’s often a PL club that does that. NSC was a miserable place football wise, as every failure to win, especially at home, clocked up. With Villa, Bmuff and Norwich, imho we’ve had a very forgettable season.

My son who’s an eternal Albion optimist, recently told me that he’d simply got used to us being poor at football.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
But we were sinking as the months ploughed on, there’s often a PL club that does that. NSC was a miserable place football wise, as every failure to win, especially at home, clocked up. With Villa, Bmuff and Norwich, imho we’ve had a very forgettable season.

My son who’s an eternal Albion optimist, mentioned that’s simply got used to us being poor.
But you are basically saying that 7 or 8 teams are woeful. It's a bit rich to single Albion out when so many have a much poorer record than us - just look at the goal differences to see which teams fans have had the most misery to watch.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Good point. And I have a follow-up dumb question: What happens if/when a player/coach/manager contracts the virus? Surely the whole squad is then required to go into isolation (plus, presumably the whole squad of any opposition that has been played in the previous couple of weeks?). These players then can't play for at least two weeks, I assume? I don't understand how the timescales can cater for this sort of scenario.

If they are absolutely determined to finish this season, then its probable that season 2020/21 might have to be shelved entirely. What you say about a player being asymptomatic or showing a false negative and then risking infecting their own squad and that of the opposition too, would as you say likely lead to more breaks for squads to isolate again. This could go on forever.

Whatever happens I'm pretty sure there will be no crowds at football for at least a year. Hopefully my Amex season ticket will either be refunded next year or if next season is played behind closed doors, then go towards a streaming service so we can watch the games on-line.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But you are basically saying that 7 or 8 teams are woeful. It's a bit rich to single Albion out when so many have a much poorer record than us - just look at the goal differences to see which teams fans have had the most misery to watch.

I didn’t single us out, I included Villa, Bmuff and Norwich.

Each having in common with us - next to no highlights in 2020, a poor overall season to date, 2020 wins a rarity (never for us).

What are your Albion highlights for calendar year 2020?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I didn’t single us out, I included Villa, Bmuff and Norwich.

Each having in common with us - next to no highlights in 2020, a poor overall season to date, 2020 wins a rarity (never for us).

What are your Albion highlights for calendar year 2020?

You singled Albion out in this post :

and Brighton.

which is the one I took issue with.

Highlights in 2020 which I particularly remember are Alireza's overhead goal vs Chelsea, and coming back from a hopeless position at West Ham. In fact we nearly won that one at the end.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You singled Albion out in this post :

which is the one I took issue with.

Highlights in 2020 which I particularly remember are Alireza's overhead goal vs Chelsea, and coming back from a hopeless position at West Ham. In fact we nearly won that one at the end.

I quite enjoyed the decent performances at high-flying Sheff Utd and Wolves as well as the above.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Berlin (AFP) – Germany’s top-flight football matches could resume from May 9, regional leaders of the country’s biggest states said Monday, although games can only take place without spectators to prevent coronavirus contagion.

Markus Soeder, state premier of Bavaria, said it remains “completely unimaginable to have spectators” in the stadiums given the need for social distancing to slow the virus spread.

But “we could perhaps from May 9 play such a round of ‘ghost games’,” Soeder told Bild, using the German term “Geisterspiele” for matches played in empty stadiums.

“A weekend with football is much more bearable than a weekend without football,” he added.

Likewise, Armin Laschet, premier of North Rhine-Westphalia state which is home to Borussia Dortmund, said the league could resume “on condition that there is a thoroughly thought-out concept”.

The German Football League (DFL) has presented “safeguards” in recent days, said Laschet, adding that he “can imagine us returning to ‘ghost games'”.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/04...d-closed-doors/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Berlin (AFP) – Germany’s top-flight football matches could resume from May 9, regional leaders of the country’s biggest states said Monday, although games can only take place without spectators to prevent coronavirus contagion.

Markus Soeder, state premier of Bavaria, said it remains “completely unimaginable to have spectators” in the stadiums given the need for social distancing to slow the virus spread.

But “we could perhaps from May 9 play such a round of ‘ghost games’,” Soeder told Bild, using the German term “Geisterspiele” for matches played in empty stadiums.

“A weekend with football is much more bearable than a weekend without football,” he added.

Likewise, Armin Laschet, premier of North Rhine-Westphalia state which is home to Borussia Dortmund, said the league could resume “on condition that there is a thoroughly thought-out concept”.

The German Football League (DFL) has presented “safeguards” in recent days, said Laschet, adding that he “can imagine us returning to ‘ghost games'”.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/04...d-closed-doors/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Bundesliga squads have been back in training for 10 days.

The first signs that UEFA’s plan for 2019/20 leagues to be completed in full, may materialise sooner rather than later.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’ve just read an article about Arsenal players giving up 12.5% of their salary.....the next article is all about Arsenal bidding £44m for Partey from Athletico. What a crazy world.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
End of August? Anyone?

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ets-august-deadline-for-domestic-competitions

UEFA still hopes domestic competitions can be completed by the end of August, ahead of a meeting with all 55 associations on Tuesday.

Europe's top football officials will hold further talks about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, as players in some countries, including Germany, resume training with tight restrictions.

UEFA is also considering proposals which would see the Champions League final being played three months later than scheduled at the end of August.​

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I will say what I have said before. The first thing football needs is a safe restart date. This won't be until the pandemic is gone. The alternative is to put all football players in isolation (for 3 weeks to be safe) with daily testing to ensure the fatballer population is virus free (this includes nonplaying staff) then resume games behind closed doors. All this would have to take place in a single stadium (Wembley?) with some sort of secure transfer of personnel, and a pop up hotel on site. The more you think about this the more ludicrous it sounds. It won't happen.

So, when will the pandemic end? Nobody knows. My guess is not till there is a vaccine (see deaths thread).

So if we can imagine that at some point a decision will be taken that it is safe for football to begin, with crowds (none of this pointless and unworkable behind closed doors bollocks), then we....have a date when it is safe for football to resume.

Then the clubs and authorities can decide whether football should begin again with a finale to the 2019-20 season, or with a brand new season. That decision will depend in part on when football can begin again, and the feasibility of timetabling the end of the old season before the start of a new.

Thus, when football begins again, and what it begins with are entirely separate questions.

St George's Park?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
End of August? Anyone?

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ets-august-deadline-for-domestic-competitions

UEFA still hopes domestic competitions can be completed by the end of August, ahead of a meeting with all 55 associations on Tuesday.

Europe's top football officials will hold further talks about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, as players in some countries, including Germany, resume training with tight restrictions.

UEFA is also considering proposals which would see the Champions League final being played three months later than scheduled at the end of August.​

They really want this season finished, don't they?

With Germany looking possible/probable to resume in May, an August restart could be feasible, if heavily controlled?

So hard to know, given the situation looks so different from week-to-week at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here