Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
The PL should be working on how they are going to get 38 games in to a post lockdown 20/21 season. Start 20/21 season as soon as safe to do so with agreed rules to cover all eventualities (which takes time to discuss / negotiate) so second, third waves over the winter are managed. A bit like professional golf tournaments that get brought forward ahead of the next storm. The continued focus on 19/20 is going to result in two seasons being a shambles.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This PL obsession with finishing a football season when hundreds are still dying and those caring for them don’t even have the basic protective gear is becoming quite distasteful.

Spot on. It is truly disgusting and ONLY about money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s really odd the disconnect with the rest of football. It really is the PL as a complete separate entity to the wider football family, when really this should be a chance to present a united front, from Conference to PL, all clubs in this together, what’s good for the PL is good for all. Not a chance though, it’s like nothing exists outside the PL.

Funnily enough I used exactly that term 'disconnect' in an email to Mr Barber on 20 March ..... he wasn't impressed. 4 weeks later and the disconnect is getting wider.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Funnily enough I used exactly that term 'disconnect' in an email to Mr Barber on 20 March ..... he wasn't impressed. 4 weeks later and the disconnect is getting wider.

It is a pretty basic thing really regarding a question of why would you even bother completing the PL if you didn't have 3 teams to come up? Or is the whole exercise really about the title and CL places?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s really odd the disconnect with the rest of football. It really is the PL as a complete separate entity to the wider football family, when really this should be a chance to present a united front, from Conference to PL, all clubs in this together, what’s good for the PL is good for all. Not a chance though, it’s like nothing exists outside the PL.

that would be fair if all other footballing authorities had made decisions. other than Belgians, English non-laegue, most are still hoping to complete their seasons arent they?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
that would be fair if all other footballing authorities had made decisions. other than Belgians, English non-laegue, most are still hoping to complete their seasons arent they?

We assume so. I was talking about the PR rather than what might actually be happening. It may well be The Football League, Conference and Premier League are all making a carefully coordinated plan, but at present you would assume the PL is operating in it's own bubble. Perhaps you have more info. into our other domestic league plans?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
the PR seems to be do nothing while everyone waits for others to make decisions. i dont believe the EPL has expressed a view determined to complete the season, thats being cast by commentators and posters.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This PL obsession with finishing a football season when hundreds are still dying and those caring for them don’t even have the basic protective gear is becoming quite distasteful.

An exclusive photo from the PL meeting has just emerged.

ostrich.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
the PR seems to be do nothing while everyone waits for others to make decisions. i dont believe the EPL has expressed a view determined to complete the season, thats being cast by commentators and posters.

On what basis don't you believe then? I can understand when it's your average joe poster on here but commentators and journalists will be reporting what they get from their contacts within the various clubs.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
On what basis don't you believe then? I can understand when it's your average joe poster on here but commentators and journalists will be reporting what they get from their contacts within the various clubs.

on the basis the news is vague, that they had discussions on options etc. no decisions or no alternative plans announced.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Of course all football should concentrate on next season. No point in behind closed doors. If at the time if still advised to social distance why on earth would footballer go against this and play in close contact with 40 plus people. Also wont go down well with public if doctors and ambulance in attendance

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Of course football should concentrate on next season. No point in closed door games. If we are still advised to social distance why would a footballer be happy to go against this and be in close contact with 40 plus people. General public would also not accept ambulance in attendance

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Are you surprised though? My opinion would be that the PL has for as long as I can remember been disconnected from the rest of football ...i wonder how united they are behind the scenes ...wasn’t there a report of the ‘big six’ not agreeing over potential start dates....who carries most weight ...numbers or size of club?

I recognise BN’s comments over how distasteful it all seems...how you work it all out legally gawd only knows ...just to pose a question for arguments sake and apologies for being blunt but how low should the death rate be before its all discussed etc etc .....only i don't see the issue over the PL and 19/20 going away in the next three weeks

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some clubs we be royally fooked without it and will be eager for the season to finish. Money rules I'm afraid
Football family? Filfthy rich clubs pooling money to help the lower league clubs survive? Players realising that they can survive for a few moths without £50 - £100 plus per week? Agents taking a payment holiday?

No, sorry, must have been hallucinating. Must have been in lockdown too long ..............................................

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Prem/FL plan to finish season behind closed doors in JULY

Well said.

It’s been obvious for some time, the only sensible and viable option is to void the season. Hearing various half baked ideas to try and crowbar in an end to this this meaningless season when we will still be in the middle of a humanitarian and economic disaster is really desperate and as you say, quite distaateful.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the key thing in the BBC report including TB is the reference to the fact Uefa are expected to announce on Wednesday that they will allow leagues to finish early.
That would take some pressure away in that the fear of losing european places should be removed. Hopefully, the common sense resolution will garner enough support in the EPL and focus can move forward to what will happen next season.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Nicely sums up my feelings, I really couldn't care a less about football at the moment. Looking after one another is everything just now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here