Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 8-10th November

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't argue with that, the last six months were rubbish but he did keep us up and we reached the FA Cup semi-final. Local born and ex-player.Just saying.

They are not looking to just survive are they? I just think Saints would be a better fit. WHU fans are amongst the most entitled in the PL

It would be interesting to see how he would do with the wealth of talent at WHU though, I’d be happy to see him go there :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Leicester 2/1 to win at home. Double your money, or bookies win again?
Presumably that's 2/1 on? So you wouldn't double your money. Am I missing something?

Leicester are evens, give or take.

Arsenal are 3/1.

(I think you're forgetting to subtract 1 from decimal odds to get a fractional equivalent)
Ahhh.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Is there no tolerance on handball now? I really haven't got a scooby of the rule now. If so, seen two clear cut in two Saturdays, Dele Alli last week, the Leicester defender just now.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Yes it is. I will explain.

Correct.
But if it's given out in cricket, lbw, and the review says it's missing by 1mm, then the on-field decision is overturned. No margin for error.

That's why I said it's not a margin either side, it's only a margin one way (ie, the ball has to be hitting by at least half the ball width in order to overturn a 'not out' decision. And to copy that with football, you wouldn't rule out a goal with VAR unless they were at least, say, 30cm offside, but you would give a goal if it was 1mm onside.

What? I didn't say anything about that. You suggested having a 30cm line either side where the decision the official makes, stays, like cricket, and I was just pointing out that's not how it is in cricket, and I think it would also be best if goals are given when they are onside (even when it's close).

Ok fair enough, perhaps I should have re-read your original comment. I do however still feel as though there should be a margin for error either side. If it’s blatantly offside then fine, give it as offside. But if someone’s toenail is offside, I don’t feel as though a camera positioned on an angle on the other side of the field should be the ultimate tool to decide that.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Ok fair enough, perhaps I should have re-read your original comment. I do however still feel as though there should be a margin for error either side. If it’s blatantly offside then fine, give it as offside. But if someone’s toenail is offside, I don’t feel as though a camera positioned on an angle on the other side of the field should be the ultimate tool to decide that.

There has to be a margin of error as the technology isn’t 100% accurate. At full pace there could be 5-10cm of movement between video frames, the isn’t a photo finish. Let alone angles, time in contact with ball etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ok fair enough, perhaps I should have re-read your original comment.
:thumbsup:
I do however still feel as though there should be a margin for error either side. If it’s blatantly offside then fine, give it as offside. But if someone’s toenail is offside, I don’t feel as though a camera positioned on an angle on the other side of the field should be the ultimate tool to decide that.
I agree with the last part. If they're fractionally offside, perhaps stick with the original decision.

Where I differ is that I think if the linesman thinks it's offside, but keeps their flag down until the goal is scored/missed, and then flags when it goes in, the goal should stand if it's shown to be 1mm onside. Of course the linesman isn't drastically wrong, and we don't know that the technology is foolproof, but I'd rather the advantage given to the attacking side - we want more goals, not fewer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If not tomorrow certainly in 2 weeks time we'll find out just how good (or bad) Montoya and
Big Burn
Big Burn
Big Dan Burn

really are.

All of Leicester's good stuff is coming from the flanks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is there no tolerance on handball now? I really haven't got a scooby of the rule now. If so, seen two clear cut in two Saturdays, Dele Alli last week, the Leicester defender just now.

That shouldn’t have been a pen against Ndidi. His arm/hand was on the ground, then the ball hit. No one called for a pen, bar the twattish commentator, before he quietly let it die.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yep Spurs defenders knee looks further over the line than the United players foot. Fecking pathetic that there was even a discussion about it anyway

The problem is there are a lot of variables that can give a distorted perspective and therefore a distorted reading of the image. Two of those variables are the angle of viewing and the height of the object being adjudged.

In order to make an accurate assessment the camera has to be totally in line with the action which of course is not always possible. If the camera was exactly level then the line would be exactly vertical from top to bottom. If it is not then you cannot compare different parts of different players bodies, for instance one player's foot being judged against another player's elbow.

To demonstrate I have taken this photo taken from an angle. As you can see the pen is standing perfectly vertically and is clearly a few centimeters away from the edge of the white paper. However because of the angle of the shot the top of the pen appears to cross the line of the edge of the paper whereas in reality it is exactly the same distance away from the paper as the bottom of the pen.

For VAR to work accurately the angle of viewing should be exactly perpendicular to the action.

2019-11-09 19.16.09.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure that proves he was off side, looks very dodgy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yep Spurs defenders knee looks further over the line than the United players foot. Fecking pathetic that there was even a discussion about it anyway

To all intents and purposes they are level with each other and therefore it should not be considered offside.

Absolutely ludicrous that we spent years of having the rules changed so that attacking play would be favoured and now our definition of level seems to include fingernails and wonky lines drawn by children in the name of accuracy. It's a farce.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
The problem is there are a lot of variables that can give a distorted perspective and therefore a distorted reading of the image. Two of those variables are the angle of viewing and the height of the object being adjudged.

In order to make an accurate assessment the camera has to be totally in line with the action which of course is not always possible. If the camera was exactly level then the line would be exactly vertical from top to bottom. If it is not then you cannot compare different parts of different players bodies, for instance one player's foot being judged against another player's elbow.

To demonstrate I have taken this photo taken from an angle. As you can see the pen is standing perfectly vertically and is clearly a few centimeters away from the edge of the white paper. However because of the angle of the shot the top of the pen appears to cross the line of the edge of the paper whereas in reality it is exactly the same distance away from the paper as the bottom of the pen.

For VAR to work accurately the angle of viewing should be exactly perpendicular to the action.

View attachment 116994

Fundamentally disagree. The marker pen is clearly being played onside by the knot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here