Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 27/06 - 02/07

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Going back to the Villa spending spree, it's fair to say that they needed to spend to replace loan players and those who were leaving.

However, firstly it shows ridiculous levels of mismanagement that they made a £112m loss in only reaching the playoffs in the Championship.

Secondly, with that sort of outlay, you'd surely have a decent plan for what to do if you were promoted, seeing as you were betting the farm on doing so.

Thirdly, with no plan in place other than "OH SHIT we've got no players and need to chuck another load of cash at getting some" you wouldn't buy the total DROSS that they did. Mings for £27m or whatever it was raised an eyebrow at the time and now looks absolutely laughable.

This would almost be forgivable, well maybe not, but the icing on the cake is that a lot of their fans didn't realise any of the above and thought that because they'd spent £150m, they'd be a top 6 side.

All they did with the money was a repair job to try to be able to get a team out. And it was a really crap repair job. I did mention this at the time, as did quite a few of us......

Hopefully they go down, the one man team leaves (goes to Man U and is rubbish) and they end up swimming around the bottom of the Championship / Top of League One where they deserve to be for such a badly run football club. And their fans can cry into their soup as WBA are in the PL and Leicester & Wolves (also cheats but it's funny re Villa) play in the Champions League.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thirdly, with no plan in place other than "OH SHIT we've got no players and need to chuck another load of cash at getting some" you wouldn't buy the total DROSS that they did. Mings for £27m or whatever it was raised an eyebrow at the time and now looks absolutely laughable.

Whilst I broadly agree with much of what you say, and whilst I also don't particularly rate Mings, the £20m-ish they paid for him up front doesn't look the worst deal in the world, certainly compared to what United paid for Maguire.

I know Arsenal have already been linked with a move for him at the end of this season, and I can't see Villa losing much, if any, of what they paid for him, although at 27, age is going to become a factor quite soon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst I broadly agree with much of what you say, and whilst I also don't particularly rate Mings, the £20m-ish they paid for him up front doesn't look the worst deal in the world, certainly compared to what United paid for Maguire.

I know Arsenal have already been linked with a move for him at the end of this season, and I can't see Villa losing much, if any, of what they paid for him, although at 27, age is going to become a factor quite soon.
I agree that United overpaid for Maguire but in fairness he has won the league and been an integral member of the England team that got to a world cup semi - he's nowhere near as shit as the trendy narrative appears to be these days. As for Tyrone Mings, Aston Villa were sensible in initially bringing him in on loan - they only paid the £20m for him once they had been promoted. However, the warning signs were there - he was deemed not good enough for Bournemouth in the top flight, making just 17 appearances in 3 and a half seasons for them. He seems to have played well for Villa in the Championship and the early part of 19/20, but his selection for the national team was absolutely laughable when there are/were 3 or 4 players who should have walked into that squad ahead of Mings.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Maguire is a very good premier league and international defender who also brings experience and a good mentality - he was made club captain very quickly. Yes they probably overpaid for him at the time but I think he will be seen as a good signing for them over time.

Villa on the other hand were totally mugged off for a poor premier league defender who’d just been converted from left back but the fans demanded he be signed at all costs. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the England squad.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Well that would make sense. Arsenal haven't had a decent defence for over a decade so why change a losing formula. He'd be a perfect fit for their error prone and lightweight back line.

Mings and David Luiz? :lol:

I agree re Maguire but that's Man United who have cash pouring out of their EARS. Not shithouse, massive losses Villa. Man U can clearly afford to splurge £80m on a £40m player, they wont be going down any time soon. Villa don't have that luxury.

They may get their money back on him (I really hope the Arsenal thing is true) but that will be scant consolation if his crapness has contributed to them being relegated.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Mings might not be top rate or England quality but at least he showed some passion for the club and has played a lot of games for them. People seem to forget we paid £14m for Locadia and £17m Ali J.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The average age of the Palace team tonight was one month shy of 32 years old. They have big problems coming their way.

Yeah but buying the experienced oldies on small or no transfer fees does enough to keep them up. Sooner or later it might go wrong, but they were safe nice and early this season guaranteeing a bumper income year again.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Yeah but buying the experienced oldies on small or no transfer fees does enough to keep them up. Sooner or later it might go wrong, but they were safe nice and early this season guaranteeing a bumper income year again.

It's certainly working for them, even if you don't like their model

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The average age of the Palace team tonight was one month shy of 32 years old. They have big problems coming their way.

Good spot.

By the end of the year, 14 members of their squad will be in their 30’s.

We’ll have half that amount (including Kayal & two keepers).

A huge rebuilding project in Croydon is needed. Is Roy the man to do it?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Good spot.

By the end of the year, 14 members of their squad will be in their 30’s.

We’ll have half that amount (including Kayal & two keepers).

A huge rebuilding project in Croydon is needed. Is Roy the man to do it?

If you were a palace fan you’d be very worried now

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you were a palace fan you’d be very worried now

It seems to work for them though so I doubt they’ll be too worried until they are cast adrift in the bottom three with no games to rescue themselves. We keep predicting their demise but they stay above us every season. It’s annoying isn’t it?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It seems to work for them though so I doubt they’ll be too worried until they are cast adrift in the bottom three with no games to rescue themselves. We keep predicting their demise but they stay above us every season. It’s annoying isn’t it?

Next season will be different :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least you'd be enjoying the brand new stand though.

It's nice that they were able to keep the charm of the old traditional stand, much loved the world over, when spending the ringfenced £120m on the rebuild " work scheduled to start late 2018".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I/we always think that and yet...
It's certainly working for them, even if you don't like their model

Although it must be tough to 'support' the likes of Cahill.
You already know his heart is elsewhere.
You know he is only there for the money.
Players like that aren't 'invested' in the team, its future.
You know there are no 'bleed red and blue' youngsters on the horizon.
Even if one does appear he'll be soon gone to fund the next three 31 year old 'last big payday' mercenaries.

And they'll still finish above us next season, while I wonder if the bubble will burst in 22/23.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Whereas the average age of our team for the last game was 25, our youngest ever in the PL. I guess having Lamptey and Connolly playing instead of Bruno and Glenn will have helped!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another one waiting for Palace's "imminent" demise.

The ageing squad and increasing wage bill should be a cause for concern.
But of course the threat will never materialise, they will get out of it one way or another.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Another one waiting for Palace's "imminent" demise.

The ageing squad and increasing wage bill should be a cause for concern.
But of course the threat will never materialise, they will get out of it one way or another.

I'm not sure they will, it only needs to go wrong once, they go down they are stuck with past it players with no real affinity to the club and no young sun's coming through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here