Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 26-27/12

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Encroachment should only be applied IF the encroaching player has impacted the penalty in anyway i.e. a player clearing a saved penalty or rebound, or a player other than taker scoring and was encroaching. We shouldn't be retaking penalties if the encroaching players had no impact on what occurred.

*edit: is this the case anyway? seemed to be the suggestion at HT that only retaken because Coady who cleared it had encroached.

Foot on 18 yard line by Coady

e0463ae1-e654-4183-b589-3654b7044a88.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We've seen quite a few penalties retaken for encroachment. I don't know why teams aren't lining up a yard or two back from the edge of the box and starting their run with the penalty taker so they reach the edge of the box as he's taking the kick - they're then closer to full pace and might improve their chances of getting to the ball. I notice a city player doing something like that on the retake.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Foot on 18 yard line by Coady

e0463ae1-e654-4183-b589-3654b7044a88.jpg

He's well inside the D in that instant.

Equally, you could have a rule that any encroachment from the attacking side should cancel out that of the defending team. ManCity have a player further inside the box than anyone else. Why should they get to retake it?

As [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] is pointing out, is this the rule, or does any encroachment necessitate a pen being retaken? If a keeper tips it over the bar, would it be retaken if players were encroaching? The discussion at HT suggested it wouldn't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He's well inside the D in that instant.

Equally, you could have a rule that any encroachment from the attacking side should cancel out that of the defending team. ManCity have a player further inside the box than anyone else. Why should they get to retake it?

As [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] is pointing out, is this the rule, or does any encroachment necessitate a pen being retaken? If a keeper tips it over the bar, would it be retaken if players were encroaching? The discussion at HT suggested it wouldn't.

His foot is on the line, which means he's in the box. Technically speaking. And as we've seen with offsides, VAR is all about the technicality. (EDIT - I didn't even consider the D = 12 yards, thing)

We discovered with the Leicester game that both teams encroaching is retaken if the attacking team score a follow up. I'm pretty sure that on that leicester retake there was encroachment by both teams, but it was scored direct. So I think it's a case of if both teams encroach and one of them benefits, it's retaken; if only the defence encroach and benefit, it's retaken; if only the attacking team encroach and benefit, it's a free kick to the defending side. If either or both teams encroach and there's no benefit to either side (penalty scored, missed, or put out of play by the keeper's save), the encroachment is ignored.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Shambolic, really? Wolves are a good team and Traore was immense

Error strewn to be fair Icy. The red card, 2 penalty misses, giving the ball away for the 2nd and 3rd goals. Not seeing it out from 2 nil up. Yeah, they went down to 10, but it wasn't is if Wolves were tearing them apart.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Under 15 hours until Matchday 20 and this set of fixtures is complete. Not the best for us, unfortunately...

Position: 15th (-2)
Distance from relegation zone: 2 points (-3)

Screenshot 2019-12-27 at 21.43.09.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Error strewn to be fair Icy. The red card, 2 penalty misses, giving the ball away for the 2nd and 3rd goals. Not seeing it out from 2 nil up. Yeah, they went down to 10, but it wasn't is if Wolves were tearing them apart.

True but the errors were forced. Point of interest I’m not convinced Traore’s challenge on Mendy was fair and could well have been given as a foul.

Enjoyable game for the neutral though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here