Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 2-4/2

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I'm not sure I can share the collective glee at the result here. Firstly, it's the effing Mancs. Secondly, imagine if the title comes down to goal difference. An appalling VAR decision at 4-0 which would have given them at least a slight chance of stemming the tide a bit. An appalling VAR decision over the pen and red card when it was already, what, 6-0? This again from everybody's favourite comedy ref - how he loves the big boys - and everybody's favourite system that's going to solve all the game's big decision-making problems.

We're losing our game here. What a shambles.

I can understand your reaction but when you’re an Albion fan, like me, living in Southampton I found this all rather jolly. Firstly, for years I’ve had “Saints are the best team on the south coast” rammed down my throat. Secondly, they have had extraordinary luck in avoiding relegation over the years. Thirdly, they got bailed out in the nick of time by Marcus Liebherr when they were about to do a Pompey financially. And, finally, we can never beat the buggers despite playing them off the park in several matches.

So please excuse my Schadenfreude savouring moment in all of this. I am aware, of course, that this could happen to us as well when we play Liverpool tomorrow. In the meantime . . . . :drink:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite a night - we've got a better GD than Southampton now!

This really is a crazy season, stats-wise - and tbh I'm getting fed up with lazy pundits saying we're 17th. just because we can't score goals, Hey, we've scored 21, more than the bottom three, more than the two teams above us, the same as Wolves, and only 3 less than Palarse, Southanpton and the Arse. Maybe we don't score goals at the right time, or in the right games - but we're not entirely shot shy!
We've also conceded fewer goals than 5 of the 6 teams above us.
We've got a better GD than the 5 teams above us.
We've lost fewer games than everybody from 9th. down (except Southampton, who've lost the same number).

......And yet, we're 17th., below all of them! Incredible really. Surely this least returns for goals scored and goals not conceded cannot continue for the second half of the season - can it?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
After being goaded by Ward-Prowse during the game at the Amex in December, I have no sympathy at all.

Their winning goal was never a penalty in that game. And their fans are among the most homophobic I’ve ever come across at an away game.

What goes around comes around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
In Italy Ronaldo scored his 21st and 22nd goal of the season.
I know he is quite marmite, but that was away against Inter and his is 36 this week. THIRTY SIX.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If no attempt is made to get the ball, he will be sent off, he pulled out of the challenge, therefore, had o be sent off.

Fair enough, that’s what the tame ref just said on BT Sport. Both red cards - Luiz and Bednarek - were ridiculous.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure I can share the collective glee at the result here. Firstly, it's the effing Mancs. Secondly, imagine if the title comes down to goal difference.

I didn't see the rest of the game so can't comment, but agree with your first here. Can never enjoy Man U winning. But to your second point, I was surprised to see that despite a +9 swing tonight, they are still 5 behind City in the goal difference stat. And city have two games in hand. I know that doesn't mean they can't win on goal difference, but that they can grow their goal difference by 9 and still be behind city, I thought, is quite something.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I know he is quite marmite, but that was away against Inter and his is 36 this week. THIRTY SIX.

His first was a defensive mix up leaving a wide open goal and it looked like he was doing his best to send it wide:

[tweet]1356701636593397771[/tweet]

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
After being goaded by Ward-Prowse during the game at the Amex in December, I have no sympathy at all.

Their winning goal was never a penalty in that game. And their fans are among the most homophobic I’ve ever come across at an away game.

What goes around comes around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is me :albion2: living in Southampton and rather enjoying a :drink: and a :laugh: at Saints fans :tantrum: . Nuff said. :D

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

39,5 year old Zlatan on 12 goals in 10 games as well. Old mans league.

No doubt they would both be quite successful in the PL as well tbf.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I can understand your reaction but when you’re an Albion fan, like me, living in Southampton I found this all rather jolly. Firstly, for years I’ve had “Saints are the best team on the south coast” rammed down my throat. Secondly, they have had extraordinary luck in avoiding relegation over the years. Thirdly, they got bailed out in the nick of time by Marcus Liebherr when they were about to do a Pompey financially. And, finally, we can never beat the buggers despite playing them off the park in several matches.

So please excuse my Schadenfreude savouring moment in all of this. I am aware, of course, that this could happen to us as well when we play Liverpool tomorrow. In the meantime . . . . :drink:

With you all the way neighbour! Maybe you have to live amongst them to fully appreciate what an unpleasant lot they are!

A great night!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Never liked Southampton (I don’t call them Saints, they never call us Albion or The Seagulls, and that includes their official site) since the League 1 days :)

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Yet both currently above us.

I really, really hope we have a decent second half of the season and finish above these. We really are streets ahead of both at actually playing football, but hopefully we can continue actually getting results

Streets ahead at playing football, eight points behind in the league.

I’ll take that.:)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Streets ahead at playing football, eight points behind in the league.

I’ll take that.:)

That’s what happens when we’ve hit the woodwork 11 times. It won’t always be like that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fair enough, that’s what the tame ref just said on BT Sport. Both red cards - Luiz and Bednarek - were ridiculous.

But as Washies said, both players tried to pull out of the tackle and therefore, by definition, weren't trying to play the ball. As the law is worded, that's a red card.

It does seem harsh though and it looks like it's something for IFAB to look at in future

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here