Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 2-4/2

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought that there was a double jeopardy rule where you can't give away a penalty and be sent off?

Not if you don't attempt to play the ball. If he had slid in and wiped the player out he'd got a yellow as long as it wasn't dangerous.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don’t want to go on about it but I’m really pissed off it wasn’t 10 - how on EARTH was there only 3 minutes added on?!!!

5 goals, 3 subs and numerous long VAR delays in the 2nd half alone - 3 minutes, how?!

Every match these days is the same, it’s ridiculous.

Yep - the bent officials think if a teams comfortably winning they should change the rules...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
That makes no sense to me. To concede 9. Twice. In just over a year. NINE!
And not against Citeh or Liverpool.

I know it doesn't excuse it entirely, but remember in both cases they were down to 10 men early in the game. The 2nd minute tonight and 12th minute against Leicester. And tonight Utd's last 3 came after they were down to 9 men.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'm not sure I can share the collective glee at the result here. Firstly, it's the effing Mancs. Secondly, imagine if the title comes down to goal difference. An appalling VAR decision at 4-0 which would have given them at least a slight chance of stemming the tide a bit. An appalling VAR decision over the pen and red card when it was already, what, 6-0? This again from everybody's favourite comedy ref - how he loves the big boys - and everybody's favourite system that's going to solve all the game's big decision-making problems.

We're losing our game here. What a shambles.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I beg to differ:

Pear
:lolol:

Bruce throwing every attacker on and expecting a goal! Really Steve, really? Oh well I prefer it when palace lose but I guess it’s not such a bad result for us given our position at the moment.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don’t want to go on about it but I’m really pissed off it wasn’t 10 - how on EARTH was there only 3 minutes added on?!!!

5 goals, 3 subs and numerous long VAR delays in the 2nd half alone - 3 minutes, how?!

Every match these days is the same, it’s ridiculous.

Because the authorities and referees need to retain as much opacity in officiating, otherwise they'll lose control of what the results are

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Southampton club shop responds to tonights result...

Capture.JPG

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I know it doesn't excuse it entirely, but remember in both cases they were down to 10 men early in the game. The 2nd minute tonight and 12th minute against Leicester. And tonight Utd's last 3 came after they were down to 9 men.

Absolutely. But how many times do you hear 'the ten men frustrated them for 80 minutes' etc.
To concede 9 in any situation, even in these mad Covid times, it's incredible.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not sure I can share the collective glee at the result here. Firstly, it's the effing Mancs. Secondly, imagine if the title comes down to goal difference. An appalling VAR decision at 4-0 which would have given them at least a slight chance of stemming the tide a bit. An appalling VAR decision over the pen and red card when it was already, what, 6-0? This again from everybody's favourite comedy ref - how he loves the big boys - and everybody's favourite system that's going to solve all the game's big decision-making problems.

We're losing our game here. What a shambles.

Totally agree. And I think you can take schadenfreude too far.

I am far from a Saints fan, but I feel for them tonight. The VAR was ridiculous on occasion. After the penalty, Mark Lawrenson on the BBC live text wrote “no, no, no, no, no! How about a modicum of common sense.”

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If no attempt is made to get the ball, he will be sent off, he pulled out of the challenge, therefore, had o be sent off.

If he pulled out of the challenge, meaning he tried to not make it, doesn't that mean that by definition the contact was accidental? Even the Beeb's usual stream of Surrey Mancs are saying that wasn't a pen, still less a red. But Shyster adores the big boys.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
If he pulled out of the challenge, meaning he tried to not make it, doesn't that mean that by definition the contact was accidental? Even the Beeb's usual stream of Surrey Mancs are saying that wasn't a pen, still less a red. But Shyster adores the big boys.

As usual nowadays the player was already in full flight of his Dive. Never a penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here