Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 17-19/10

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The problem is not with VAR it’s the RULES.

They are currently meant to be black and white, offside even by a fraction is offside. VAR is following the rules as intended, to remove all subjectivity.

I would prefer the older implementation of offside, if in doubt, or if it’s really tight goals are given.

The introduction of VAR is driving the rule changes and nobody is prepared to admit what a shambles it is and remove it.

The difference is VAR has made the rules need to be forensic by using the technology rather than someone’s line of sight on the pitch. Without VAR I do not remember seeing anywhere near as many goals incorrectly awarded as we are now seeing ruled out for these millimetre margins.

Clear and obvious errors was the sales tag line wasn’t it?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The introduction of VAR is driving the rule changes and nobody is prepared to admit what a shambles it is and remove it.

The difference is VAR has made the rules need to be forensic by using the technology rather than someone’s line of sight on the pitch. Without VAR I do not remember seeing anywhere near as many goals incorrectly awarded as we are now seeing ruled out for these millimetre margins.

Clear and obvious errors was the sales tag line wasn’t it?

“Clear and obvious errors” for subjective decisions, which could be a clear error, penalty given incorrectly by ref, wrong player being booked/red carded, disallowed goals that shouldn’t be disallowed etc.

Offside is an objective decision. The rules were changed to remove all opinion and subjectivity (because people complained about the interpretations). Now it’s binary. You are off side or you are not.

It’s a misconception about VAR. VAR is implementing the rules perfectly. The rules however, clearly need to be reviewed. That should be the focus of complaints. As things like this today, and the handball craziness, are adding too many forensic decisions against the spirit of the game.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
“Clear and obvious errors” for subjective decisions, which could be a clear error, penalty given incorrectly by ref, wrong player being booked/red carded, disallowed goals that shouldn’t be disallowed etc.

Offside is an objective decision. The rules were changed to remove all opinion and subjectivity (because people complained about the interpretations). Now it’s binary. You are off side or you are not.

It’s a misconception about VAR. VAR is implementing the rules perfectly. The rules however, clearly need to be reviewed. That should be the focus of complaints. As things like this today, and the handball craziness, are adding too many forensic decisions against the spirit of the game.

I hear what you're saying but even with those forensic lines drawn on the screen pretty much all the pundits and many viewers (me included) could not see an offside.

Is the eyesight of those watching back at VAR headquarters superior to most of the rest of us?

It still looks like a subjective decision to me. Someone in the studio looked at it and said it was offside, many of us looked at it and said it wasn't. It still seems to be a matter of opinion and that not what I thought VAR was supposed to be.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
My dad said it was a good job that the pubs and bars in Liverpool are shut as VAR could have sparked serious disorder with pint glasses or bottles being thrown at the TV following that ridiculous decision. And deep down, I couldn't blame them for their rage - even though it's a shocking thing to do.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

It is not a misconception to say VAR is the problem as you rightly say VAR is applying the rules to the mm that’s what it does, that is what it is there for and the rules need to be that specific so you can apply the technology as designed. If you amend the rules to be looser then you are gaining nothing you were not already getting without the technology.

VAR is and remains the problem

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Have to question the VAR ref’s honesty there, shocking decision. I would be absolutely incensed if that had been given against us

Spot on! There's something about it that doesn't smell right.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I wonder if we need a cricket appeal style logic applied to this stuff.

It was given as a goal on the field during play, it wasn't clearly and obviously offside on replay, so the goal stands.
Exactly then the proven margin of error would be covered. Assistant referees call.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Its offside by an inch or so, so offside. What is the argument here? This is what VAR is for isn't it?

So let me get this right - those who wanted VAR are now saying that they want it, but they dont want it to deliver an accurate decision? Bonkers.

What a fool I am, I thought that VAR was introduced to overrule clear and obvious errors, there is no way the offside in the early game comes into that category. It now seems to be used for every goal :shrug:

If I even had an inkling it would turn out like it has I’d have been very anti from the off. I am now very anti anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Get rid of VAR.
Bentacky punches the ball in for the 93rd minute winner.

Then what?

Posters are forgetting just how many shite decisions were made before VAR.

Now many of the fairly obvious shite decisions are being caught, or not, as the case maybe.

But we're left with the whole reason why we have it in the first place.
That being Carra & Neville spending 10 minutes in the post game show, staring at 3 frames of film just to create a controversy that was never there.

Scrap VAR - obviously, cos it's shite.
But we also have to scrap the reason why we have VAR.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Don't get rid of VAR, just use it properly.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Is the right answer. FFS it’s not difficult. Clear and obvious. If you have to spend more than 10 seconds reviewing a decision then leave it alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Hasenhuttl looks like a chicken.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A bit of luck (relatively), I was going to bet on a Chelsea win and spent the afternoon regretting not doing so.

Rubbish odds anyway, the markets don't take into account that Lampard's not dealt with that god awful defence.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Well its so easy to say use it properly - but what is properly exactly? Clear and obvious? What does that mean? These Jonathan Pearce type comments just dont mean anything, but are great for having a good moan about it.

There are only two options either have VAR and have it exact or dont have VAR and leave it to the refs. I was always in the anti-VAR camp and still am. Those who were pro VAR didnt think it through. You turkeys who voted for Christmas have it now so I hope you enjoy enjoy it.

Comments like 'Properly', 'Clear and Obvious', 'Daylight' etc are just meaningless.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I'm sure VAR will be changed soon. Can't have the " big clubs " having marginal decisions going against them can we ? :whistle:

However, I must say it's nice to see the Liverpool fans exploding at the injustice of it all. The rest of us have had to endure this for decades and decades when playing the likes of them pre VAR.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quality goal from City.

But God help Maty if he did that, despite the fact there wasn't much more Leno could do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1317512803788427265[/tweet]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The major flaw behind VAR is expecting the very same people who make inconsistent decisions on the pitch to make consistent ones off it.

Still maintain VAR has created a bigger problem than the one it was trying to solve

Nailed it, and have said it from before it was brought in. The people behind it are trying to male binary decisions in a flowing game of chaos, it was NEVER going to work. Originally we were told it was only being introduced to correct "CLEAR and OBVIOUS errors". Yeah yeah. Most people knew it was the thin end of the wedge to micro-examine every frigging major incident in a fruitless pursuit of perfection. Anyone with half a brain knew this would never be attainable in football.

And so, here we are. Advocates of VAR in football - you got what you wanted. But at what cost ? The number of results its warping now is now beyond counting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here