Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 17-19/10

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Simply don't understand why they don't use a thicker line. If the forward is beyond it, then he's offside. If not, it's too close to call so give him the benefit of the doubt. There used to a general rule that 'level' was onside. By any sensible measure, Mane is level.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Edit (double post)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Edit- double post.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Armpit strikes again.

Can you ever remember in football history when armpits were so important? Farcical, I guess you do see the odd armpit screamer. :rolleyes:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
And why didn't VAR advise the ref to send off Pickford for his assault in the first half?

Anywhere else on the pitch if you took a player out like that he'd have been off - as Richarlison was late in the game.

Absolutely no consistency. If we are not going to have consistency then at least take VAR out of the game and let the refs make the decisions as they have for the last 100 years.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
They need to get rid of the computer assisted element of VAR.

Everyone on the planet should be able to look at that picture for 10 seconds and say it's level. Everyone it seems except the actual referees :facepalm:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
And why didn't VAR advise the ref to send off Pickford for his assault in the first half?

Anywhere else on the pitch if you took a player out like that he'd have been off - as Richarlison was late in the game.

Absolutely no consistency. If we are not going to have consistency then at least take VAR out of the game and let the refs make the decisions as they have for the last 100 years.

The major flaw behind VAR is expecting the very same people who make inconsistent decisions on the pitch to make consistent ones off it.

Still maintain VAR has created a bigger problem than the one it was trying to solve

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Yep, I’d rather go back to some you win some you lose.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The problem is not with VAR it’s the RULES.

They are currently meant to be black and white, offside even by a fraction is offside. VAR is following the rules as intended, to remove all subjectivity.

I would prefer the older implementation of offside, if in doubt, or if it’s really tight goals are given.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its offside by an inch or so, so offside. What is the argument here? This is what VAR is for isn't it?

So let me get this right - those who wanted VAR are now saying that they want it, but they dont want it to deliver an accurate decision? Bonkers.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm starting to think VAR decisions are being made by bookies, based on how much money they would lose if a goal is allowed or not :lolol:

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Simply don't understand why they don't use a thicker line. If the forward is beyond it, then he's offside. If not, it's too close to call so give him the benefit of the doubt. There used to a general rule that 'level' was onside. By any sensible measure, Mane is level.

There's also the fact that unless the technology knows precisely to the millisecond when the ball was kicked, the drawing of the line will always be less than 100% accurate.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The game is supposed to attract fans due to its simplicity. That’s gone out the window as nobody has a clue if something is offside to a millimetre. There’s so much ****ing wrong with the game off the pitch at the moment, why not sort all that shit out before messing with stupid rulers.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
But that disallowed goal, in years gone by without VAR, would have been given and accepted by all.

No one on MOTD would had given it a moments notice in the highlights late on a Saturday night. VAR is now just being used as an excuse to try to rule out a goal for even the finest of margins - which are not clear and obvious. I've seen that offside back numerous times and for the life of me I cannot see an offside. It should only be used for a CLEAR and obvious error.

Rules were always previously seen to 'give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team' - this is why in my view the offside rule needs to stop being so picky and change to daylight between defence and attacker.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its offside by an inch or so, so offside. What is the argument here? This is what VAR is for isn't it?

So let me get this right - those who wanted VAR are now saying that they want it, but they dont want it to deliver an accurate decision? Bonkers.

Much closer and open to scrutiny. It is also very much open to abuse. I believe it is being manipulated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The problem is not with VAR it’s the RULES.

They are currently meant to be black and white, offside even by a fraction is offside. VAR is following the rules as intended, to remove all subjectivity.

I would prefer the older implementation of offside, if in doubt, or if it’s really tight goals are given.

I wonder if we need a cricket appeal style logic applied to this stuff.

It was given as a goal on the field during play, it wasn't clearly and obviously offside on replay, so the goal stands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here