Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 11-13/9/21

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Aren't they just. Played 4. Won zero. Conceded 11.

No particular shame in that as the PL is a massively difficult league but the way the media and a section of the Leeds support continue to deify Bielsa is just amusing. Doubtless the Leeds squad will have been at Thorpe Arche bright and early today for a 2 hour 11 vs 11 multi-ball beasting session.

Aye…the draw for the opening fixtures was kind to us ….we get Brentford and Watford ..they get MU and Liverpool
They only draw at Burnley but draw at home to Everton

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Aye…the draw for the opening fixtures was kind to us ….we get Brentford and Watford ..they get MU and Liverpool
They only draw at Burnley but draw at home to Everton

Yes - things will begin to shake out over the next month or so. To get two newly promoted sides plus Burnley as 3 of our 4 opening fixtures is about as kind an opening as could reasonably be expected. Sterner tests to come over the next few weeks.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That sounds like a good system. They could charge a fee for each person (as I think Brighton do?) to increase revenue, but at the end of the day, if a seat's been paid for, it's been paid for. One bum can - or should be able - to sit on it - and that should be it.

I'd agree with this point of view if season-ticket holders were paying full price for their seats - but they're not, they get a sizeable discount on matchday prices

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Yes - In the last 10 seasons 4 clubs have stayed up with 7 wins but, other than these, every staying-up club (and some relegated) in the last few seasons have had at least 9 wins.

One of the really big adjustments I had to make when we got promoted was to get my head around how ABSOLUTELY HUGE a victory is in the Premier League, compared to the Championship. In the latter you need to win (on average) three games a month to get promoted, whereas in the EPL it's basically one game a month to stay up.

As a result, we're almost certainly a third of the way to safety already, after just four matches. I'm sure there will be some lean spells - especially given the relatively easy* nature of our first few games (as demonstrated by the tracker). However, there will be teams like Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley...and possibly Southampton, who will be wondering where that first win is going to come from.

*NB: No such thing as an easy game in the Premier League!

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
One of the really big adjustments I had to make when we got promoted was to get my head around how ABSOLUTELY HUGE a victory is in the Premier League, compared to the Championship. In the latter you need to win (on average) three games a month to get promoted, whereas in the EPL it's basically one game a month to stay up.

As a result, we're almost certainly a third of the way to safety already, after just four matches. I'm sure there will be some lean spells - especially given the relatively easy* nature of our first few games (as demonstrated by the tracker). However, there will be teams like Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley...and possibly Southampton, who will be wondering where that first win is going to come from.

*NB: No such thing as an easy game in the Premier League!

Really good points, but I think you mean a quarter of the way to safety. I wouldn't fancy our chances having only 27 pts, 36 pts I'd say we had an 80% chance of staying up based on the last few years..

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
We had a really nice start fixtures wise and I was always keen for us to take advantage. While we haven’t played well in large parts of these games it is pleasing to see that we have picked up wins which would have been draws or losses last season. I’m not sure what has changed other than luck. Any other suggestions?

Having these points is good momentum going into the Harder fixtures.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We had a really nice start fixtures wise and I was always keen for us to take advantage. While we haven’t played well in large parts of these games it is pleasing to see that we have picked up wins which would have been draws or losses last season. I’m not sure what has changed other than luck. Any other suggestions?

Having these points is good momentum going into the Harder fixtures.

More physical presence at the back has helped. Just 3 conceded in 4 games.

Points will be harder to come by now. But I still fancy us to pick up a few here and there

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Points will be harder to come by now. But I still fancy us to pick up a few here and there

They will but will we be pressed as hard as we have been in 3 of our 4 games by better teams? Obviously Liverpool and City will press us. We have grown as games have gone on as teams tire against us. I think our passing style whilst not being pressed so much is going to be interesting to watch. Last season we seldom played with concentration for 90 mins, our concentration later in the game has definitely improved so far this season imo. Interesting times coming up and I can’t call it at all

Young team learning from last year and improving too is what I am hoping for. The experience of Welbeck, Lallana, Duffy and Dunk will be important

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We had a good defensive record last season too - better than 12 other teams in the league. The difference this season so far is we've taken chances at the other end better, and taken them at crucial times too (as well as not conceding at crucial times!)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We had a good defensive record last season too - better than 12 other teams in the league. The difference this season so far is we've taken chances at the other end better, and taken them at crucial times too (as well as not conceding at crucial times!)

Similar records, but i think last season we conceded not many because we outplayed nearly everyone. This season, because we're defending well. Very early days of course

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What’s the benchmark for the number of wins generally required to say up? Is it around 9?

Also interesting as a benchmark - here's the data for a fast start...
12 points from first 10 and you're practically there. ...(Only for promoted clubs but the data probably relevant for all clubs)

faststart.jpg

via https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58148143

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Nonsense, it was an appalling tackle.

Under Law 12 a sending off must be given for serious foul play. What bit of hooking a players leg in two from behind isn't serious foul play???

What's worse is Dallas then attempted a similar tackle on Mane and only got away with it because he didn't touch the player. Looks like "genius" Bielsa teaches them to do it.

Harvey Elliott disagrees.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So then...... what do we want tonight??

Personally, I would prefer to see four or five teams start to get cut adrift,sooner rather than later..
I would have no problem with one of those teams being Burnley, so it's an Everton win and down to 6th for me.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Really good points, but I think you mean a quarter of the way to safety. I wouldn't fancy our chances having only 27 pts, 36 pts I'd say we had an 80% chance of staying up based on the last few years..

Sorry - to clarify - a third of the way to the "required" nine wins. As regards points, I agree we definitely need more than 27, but the draws will come (especially the way we play - the last two years we drew 14 games in each season)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A player who was on the receiving end of it ?

Yes, he wasn't even looking at the challenge. He has no idea whether it was serious foul play or not. Maybe he's viewed a replay but I very much doubt he'd want to see his ankle going the wrong way to the rest of his leg again.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes, he wasn't even looking at the challenge. He has no idea whether it was serious foul play or not. Maybe he's viewed a replay but I very much doubt he'd want to see his ankle going the wrong way to the rest of his leg again.

So a player on the receiving end of a challenge, felt the impact, knows how the injury happened and I imagine has spoken to his team mates doesn’t know if it was a red card challenge.

Gotcha.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Leeds are going well

Aren't they just. Played 4. Won zero. Conceded 11.

No particular shame in that as the PL is a massively difficult league but the way the media and a section of the Leeds support continue to deify Bielsa is just amusing. Doubtless the Leeds squad will have been at Thorpe Arche bright and early today for a 2 hour 11 vs 11 multi-ball beasting session.

And don't forget that they have the most atmospheric ground, noisy & intimidating crowds, etc etc etc (copyright BBC MoTD2 - although repeated ad nauseum by every broadcaster); so they'll obviously be fine.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Richarlison @ 9/2 looks a fantastic price to score first tonight.

If he does and then goes on to score another Betfred double your winnings with a hat-trick trebling it. For example a tenner would net £55 then would turn to £100 and then £145.

No Dominic Calvert-Lewin - injured I presume - so I imagine he'll be on penalties as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here