Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's failure to sign a target man is a farce

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Wile acknpwledging that we havent really seen a good back up to CMS this 'Lets blame Gus' thing is just tedious. Theres no doubt hes been trying but some people need to remember we have a budget and even the most beginner of FM12 players know its strikers who cost the most and want the biggest salaries. Boothroyd wouldve wanted a salary somehwere around that which Vicente is on... which is ridiculous. OK maybe Gus didnt want to risk getting an Austin or a Vardy but there again we know what happens when this club signs anyone outside the Championship. Yes its obvious we need a striker but we can all see what happens when we get the wrong one and it just may be that our ambitions dont match our bank balance.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Totally right. The total RABBLE that has represented us in the last two matches shows how hard it is to play upfront in this team and, as a result, what a brilliant job CMS does at it. Dobbie is shit. Absolutely f***ing shit. Barnes is alright, nothing special, but he's too weak to play as a lone forward in this division. We desperately need some depth in this position. No other team in the Championship relies on one striker. Even some of the supposedly shit teams seem to have well-known forwards sitting on their bench, let alone in their team. We have no options because Poyet is so f***ing intent on trying to sign the perfect one that he missed out on them all.

I agree - time to enter the loan market I think.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The OP is right. We need a different option off the bench when it's not working. We could have won yesterday if we had a big man to get on the end of the crosses in the 2nd half. We need to get one sorted on loan asap.

Silverfox

Aug 1, 2011
Eastbourne
The lack of a back up for Craig is obvious, Gus knows this, Bloom knows this, and we (well most of us!) can see that. He will put it right but I suspect not through the loan market. I think the biggest problem is the speed we break and the reluctance of our midfielders (and lets face it we have a lot of them) to push far enough forward. It does look like shades of last year. Booming start, sussed already, no plan B. I think this year we may just hang on in the top 6 and hopefully Gus will attract the right striker in January. But lets not keep on about Murray, he ain't coming back, its as likely as Zamora turning up to play. We also need some young blood cover at the back. Calderon is too slow, I like him, like Bruno fills in as a winger, but last night he was outpaced, their goal being a good example. Keep the faith, think how wet you would have got at Withdean last night!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Blimey - I thought the binfests would stop when the football started again. This "farce" is giving LOL-gate a run for its money.

FWIW, I think people are reading too much into last night, thinking it was going to be an easy game. The corresponding fixture last season was the most complete performance I'd seen from the team at this level. Everything clicked, the banner seemed to fire everyone else up, and Ipswich were poor.

Maybe people were expecting the same last night, but the spark wasn't there. Doesn't warrant all the doom and gloom, in my opinion. This team is a work in progress, and it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Open invitation for users of other Championship forums to come watch the binfest and link it back off your own message boards.

How to react when third in the division. The thread is comedy genius for those outside of BHAFC. :facepalm:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I doubt any centre back pairings will have it as easy as Birmingham and ipswich these last two games.

Without CMS we look hopelessly lightweight up top. Barnes is no main striker and Dobbie looks more like an unfit midfielder. Oh what a shame we didn't get Murray back. He is EXACTLY what we are missing, same as last season.

The Dobbie signing = desperation. He certainly doesn't look like a striker.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So we are, mostly, agreed that we want to sign a striker to fire us on to thwarted next level. Presumably every club wishes the same and even Gus might have thought about that one.

boik

Didn't we have something like 11 shots on target? Doesn't sound too much wrong with that to me. If any one of those blocks/deflections ricochets in, especially if it's before they score, then everyone would be happy.

I agree though that we miss some movement up front when CMS is missing, and miss Bruno more than I expected.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
were are actually still third in the table, a couple of points off the top and our highest crowds for best part of 30 years!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Open invitation for users of other Championship forums to come watch the binfest and link it back off your own message boards.

How to react when third in the division. The thread is comedy genius for those outside of BHAFC. :facepalm:

Oh no! Other fans might take the piss out of us on the internet. What will we do?!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Oh no! Other fans might take the piss out of us on the internet. What will we do?!

I'm sure you'll know exactly what to do when Palarse come on here taking the piss... although I have to say it would be more astonishment if I were on the outside looking in.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So we are, mostly, agreed that we want to sign a striker to fire us on to thwarted next level. Presumably every club wishes the same and even Gus might have thought about that one.

Don't be ridiculous! What does Gus know about the game!

Don't forget, he was lucky to get this managerial position. There were around 2000 ahead of him, but they were unable to give it their full attention due to commitments on NSC.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
The only decent out and out striker at the club is CMS,so without him we will struggle for goals.His presence opens the game for others and he will challenge the whole game for half chances! There is no other player near him for this at the club!We need back up desperately in this department!Its a great shame because everything else looks very impressive but goals win games.If Gus fails to realise this major weakness then he and us are not worthy of the Prem.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

I'm sure he has been thinking about it but what is he actually doing to address the problem? How long have we known that we need a big striking presence? How much thinking time does Gus need?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
were are actually still third in the table, a couple of points off the top and our highest crowds for best part of 30 years!

Best not have any opinions then as because we are third and have big crowds anyone who's not a happy clappy and 100% content with what have been two poor home performances is obviously a clueless embarrasment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is he /was he available at any time ? Or are you still saying we should have kept him ?

I have absolutely no doubt we could have kept him if Gus had wanted to. No proof just reading between the lines at the time, I never got the impression that Gus was a big Murray fan. Maybe he had a bit of attitude and Gus doesn't tolerate players with attitude it seems

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Don't be ridiculous! What does Gus know about the game!

Don't forget, he was lucky to get this managerial position. There were around 2000 ahead of him, but they were unable to give it their full attention due to commitments on NSC.

Well said! Poyet is to farce what Brian Rix was to football management.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here