Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's failure to sign a target man is a farce

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We still have a number of League One players. A LOT of the top half teams have numerous players recently playing in the Prem. We don't pay high wages at all. Gus has consistently overachieved since day one.

Yeah,so I keep reading,,, I forgot the likes of Cms, Vicente, Kusazak,Saltor, Bridge, Lopez, Dobbie, Crofts,,,,all come hsre because we pay under the odds and they couldnt go anywhere else.And as for Harley,why do you think we cant get shot of him???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah,so I keep reading,,, I forgot the likes of Cms, Vicente, Kusazak,Saltor, Bridge, Lopez, Dobbie, Crofts,,,,all come hsre because we pay under the odds and they couldnt go anywhere else.And as for Harley,why do you think we cant get shot of him???

I agree that we are likely overpaying Harley.

A number of those players have categorically stated they were offered more money elsewhere and came here for the style of play and the amazing things Gus is doing at this club.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Barnes I changed my mind on, I did think he was poor but I converted some time ago. Poyet was a wind-up. Crofts, I stick by my assessment that he was a very mediocre player I was delighted to see leave the first time, but in the four or five games he's played since he's been back I've been impressed. See, I can be fair and am willing to change my mind. In the interests of balance, I'm sure you now have a list of players I have been proved right on. Fire away...

Were you from Salem in a previous life?! You can basically label any player as shit based on a fleeting view but you reserve the right to change your opinion when you are proved to be hopelessly inaccurate? So as things stand, Dobbie is shit (despite his excellent performances for Blackpool in reaching the Premier League and then the play offs - both something we are yet to achieve) and a poor signing but you can congratulate yourself on changing your mind once he is properly integrated and proves to be an excellent addition. Easy game this isn't it.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Were you from Salem in a previous life?! You can basically label any player as shit based on a fleeting view but you reserve the right to change your opinion when you are proved to be hopelessly inaccurate? So as things stand, Dobbie is shit (despite his excellent performances for Blackpool in reaching the Premier League and then the play offs - both something we are yet to achieve) and a poor signing but you can congratulate yourself on changing your mind once he is properly integrated and proves to be an excellent addition. Easy game this isn't it.

Spot on.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
No, you don't get it I'm afraid. Your little story would be fine if I or anyone else was claiming EVERY player is shit, but I don't see anyone doing that. You only need simple maths skills to work out that Dobbie is a very small part of our summer transfer business. There are another 8 or 9 signings to comment on. Find me someone who has described them all as not up to it and your WAFFLE becomes relevant and perhaps true.

So, you're saying that out of all the players in the squad who you have only seen play 2 or 3 times you have only labelled one of them as "absolute shit, dreadful" and suggested we should "get rid"? Somehow you should be commended for your astonishing patience, by allowing the other players perhaps, I dunno, 4 or 5 games, before you start demanding we sell them. Congratulations, you have nun-like patience.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Whatever anyone's opinions of individual players the truth is we have a very competitive squad at this level.

As I see it the last two games we have been architects of our own shortcomings. Both teams came to play the classic away tactic of sit back behind the ball and nick a goal.

In these circumstances our centre backs need to drive forwards and commit a midfielder before passing, we need to switch the ball quickly left to right to upset the teams shape, we need to run at players to create spaces and commit then to move.

Unfortunately we played in a very slow pedestrian manner in both games and took far too many touches instead of moving the ball quickly. The outcome of this is every time we are in the final third the opposition is comfortably set to defend and we are reduced to passing in unproductive triangles before losing possession

We already have the players to break through both birmingham and Ipswich but we need them to show more movement and speed up the passing to break up the defensive shape these team set up with.

And we did for the first ten minutes and when buckley came on. Between that the tempo was far to slow and our attacks were painfully predictable and easily defended

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
No, you don't get it I'm afraid. Your little story would be fine if I or anyone else was claiming EVERY player is shit, but I don't see anyone doing that. You only need simple maths skills to work out that Dobbie is a very small part of our summer transfer business. There are another 8 or 9 signings to comment on. Find me someone who has described them all as not up to it and your WAFFLE becomes relevant and perhaps true.

I am not entirely sure you have grasped the point here tbh. Have another read and a rethink.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Read the opening post for amusement based purely on the track record of the thread starter then limped on as far as his alter ego, the complete bodger. Beyond that I really can't be arsed with unbridled ignorance.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Darryl Murphy looked a better player than the much younger Charlie Austin.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

which would be entirely relevant if you had any idea how much of a 'part' Dobbie was of our summer transfer budget.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Charlie Austin who has ELEVEN goals in this season's championship?

At the current reckoning Charlie Austin is the best possible available striker outside the Premier. When he leaves Burnley (In January?), who will sign him? Both players try to get in front of their man.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Letting Murray go was clearly a mistake, as most on here are agreed. Having said that, it's history, and as far as we know (there were rumours during the summer but they didn't come to anything) he isn't returning to the Albion. We were apparently quite close to signing Romelo Lukaku on loan, but as we know WBA got him - presumably they offered to pay a greater proportion of his Chelsea wages, and I would have thought staying in the Premiership would have made it an easy decision for him. He would have been excellent for us, but would he not have been too similar to CMS, in other words could the two have played together? And he is hardly likely to have been happy to sit on the bench, nor CMS the other way.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are some absolute MORONS on this forum.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Darryl Murphy looked a better player than the much younger Charlie Austin.

And Ipswich allegedly tried to sign Charlie Austin ???

Darryl Murphy is tall and fast. Reminds me of the other forward I was impressed with, Lukas Jutkiewicz of Middlesbrough.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here