Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: You're talking rubbish Steve (Claridge)

I wonder how Barcalone would get on in the premiership playing their brand of attacking flowing football? Does Mr Clarridge ever wonder why the World's top Internationalteams do so well by playing passing flowing football whilst England struggle.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Argus over two pages...

Steve Claridge: Cock

As you go up the leagues there is no way Brighton will be able to play that way against better players because better players are stronger and fitter and they will certainly press and squeeze a lot higher up the pitch. They will not allow Brighton to dominate them.

Gus Poyet: :amex:God

Thats an easy thing to say for people that don't like to take risks, who think you just need to kick it and just put it in the other half. Its a way of playing football. Its an opinion, which of course I disagree with totally and it doesnt affect me at all

selected highlights from Gus.. ...

Its his opinion and I respect it but hes talking whatever - I dont want to say the word that begins with 'b' Genius

I am surprised that he has said it because working on the Football League Show he should be watching Swansea every week, and look at where Swansea are? If he thinks Swansea dont play open and dont pass the ball its because he doesnt have a tv at home. If I am able to go back to Stoke in the future and I have got Premier League players playing my way lets see who wins.]Priceless :lol:[/QUOTE

Well Steve, you have been well & truly turned over.

I dont give a monkey's how many teams you played for, you have obviously taken the worst bits of every manager you ever played for to make your choice on "how to play the game" and the success you had as a manager confirms your vision of the beautiful game is

Utter b*llocks.

I wonder how Barcalone would get on in the premiership playing their brand of attacking flowing football? Does Mr Clarridge ever wonder why the World's top Internationalteams do so well by playing passing flowing football whilst England struggle.

Ah, but you have to remember, they've never been to Stoke on a wet Tuesday night. Until they do there's no POSSIBLE way that anyone could claim they are the best team in the world. Everyone KNOWS that the Premier League is the bestest league in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"there's no way Brighton will be able to play that way against better players". Does he have a point? We couldn't against Stoke. Maybe what he is saying is that whilst it looks good now with these players in League One, we'll need better players to keep doing this in higher leagues?

Don't like the guy - just wondering if what he has said could be interpreted differently?

No, I think his meaning is clear. No misinterpratation here.

What the Stoke game has showed us is that we would need better players to compete at the higher level. But that's not what Claridge was on about - he said the way we played (rather than the quality of personnel) is not going to work, which of course, is total bollocks.

Claridge is talking like a total weapon.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Isn't this being a tad over sensitive? He said it might be a problem. I know we won't be playing sides as good as Stoke if we go up but that game did show that against better players they read the game a lot better and it won't work. Of course if we get better players in, which we will, it could work fine. However I'm sure Claridge wouldn't disagree with that. As soon as someone says we might sturggle at a higher level we get uppity about it? Embarrassing.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
There is a facebook page called Steve Claridge is a Pathetic Wanker! Here

His managerial record is worth checking out, by the way, makes Alan Ball's looks good!

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
TRHK;3983450 Don't like the guy - just wondering if what he has said could be interpreted differently?[/QUOTE said:
dont think so, to appreciate his 'can't do it like that' view you need to watch his video blog at BBC - Steve Claridge's video blog: Claridge Kicks Off
where i've just noticed he is introduced as follows: The BBC's Football League expert Steve Claridge played more than 800 matches for 15 clubs over the course of a 24-year playing career. You can see him give his expert opinion ....
expert my arse...

there's loads of comments on the same page mostly my team is better than your team stuff but this caught my eye:
27. At 3:09pm on 23 Feb 2011, Tengullenhat wrote:
As a Tranmere fan, I hardly expected my team to get any mention. However, as someone who regularly travels throughout the UK, I have managed to see some of the better teams in this league throughout the season.

Firstly, let me say how I totally disagree with Steve's description of either Brighton or Southampton.

Having seen the Saints play five or six matches, I can honestly say that they play in the same way, game in, game out. Because of this, then most sides are able to counter their style and nullify the threat from their undoubtedly talented strike force. My own team were able to make them look very ordinary, and certainly nowhere near automatic promotion candidates.

Brighton on the other hand, and completely the opposite of Steve's summing up on them, play football, not only on a skill level way above this league, but they are able to play and adapt their formation and style during a match, according to that played by the opposition. This is something that has never been witnessed in the lower league levels before, and they will be able to adapt the style in the Championship to gain further success. You have to credit the way that the club is run now.

Southampton have their work cut out to make second spot, and because they are reluctant to change their system, then I feel either Bournemouth or Charlton will be gaining the runners-up position. Whoever does finish second, they will be a long way behind Brighton.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
His attitude is classic BBC: he thinks the only place where the football is decent is the Premiershite: he's the token football league pundit and yet he still doesn't get it. He is completely clueless. And if you don't believe the BBC is biased against the football league, try searching on their website for the Football League show: you'll see Match of the Day is listed, Football Focus is listed: the Football League show is not. However I will find it somehow and send them an email with a link to this thread.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Isn't this being a tad over sensitive? He said it might be a problem. I know we won't be playing sides as good as Stoke if we go up but that game did show that against better players they read the game a lot better and it won't work. Of course if we get better players in, which we will, it could work fine. However I'm sure Claridge wouldn't disagree with that. As soon as someone says we might sturggle at a higher level we get uppity about it? Embarrassing.

I think you've missed the point. Claridge seems to be saying that the only way to get success is to not pass it around and to play it long, hence why Gus talks about Swansea recently coming up from the lower leagues and having great success by passing the ball. It's not so much a criticism about us, more about passing football in general which is annoying people. As Smart Mart put it, he's an advocate of old fashioned, direct football as being the only way to go forward and that's the same mentality that's held England back for so long.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Claridge loves the Beck & Taylor style of footie no doubt.

did he ever play for either of these two managers?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Is it any wonder, that as a nation we fail at international level with attitudes like this. I refer to the fact that Steve Claringe has part Uefa training badge, I pity any team trained by him!!!!

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
You tell him Gus.

Claridge sits there pontificating and peddling his claptrap like he's some kind of authority on the game. Well I'd love to see where we'd be in the League if we had Claridge in the dugout instead of Gus.

Actually, scrub that. I wouldn't.

It could be worse, Easy. It could be that big ball of Battered Mars Bars, Andy Gray, trying to throw his godly wisdom, or lack thereof, around the game.

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
Time the BBC hoofed Claridge off our screens and replaced him with someone who knows what they're talking about, someone who appreciates how football should be played, on the ground!

I bet Mr Claridge would have liked to play in our current team!!!!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
claridge is in effect right and Stoke bore that out, however the dick is assumeing we will have the same players as now as we go through the leagues.

Claridge has always being a dick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here