Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet wants new centre back after Tommy's departure

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
El Abd was superb last season. I believe he's about the same height as Carles Puyol, is he too short? Our best headerers of the ball are El Abd and Bridcutt, proving height doesn't matter if you have ability.

I think El Abd, is a great player and fairly decent in the air, however he does not try to win to many headers, if you watch him he hangs back of there front man, generally giving the forward a dig in the back and allows the ball to run though to the keeper, who he then goes and gets the ball off.

if we need someone to be winning headers, Greer usually gets involved.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
If you're good enough, you're tall enough!

Calde and Vincelot can cover CB if it comes to it. We do still have eight defenders in the squad, which should be enough.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Even if El Abd was too small to win headers as you suggest (he is not at all in my opinion) I fail to see how the situation you describe is a bad one? We win the ball, the attacker does not get it.

I wasnt suggesting that, my point was aimed at that he said Bridcutt and El Abd where our best players in the air, I found that quite surprising as El Abd doesn't try to win to many headers, the reason for my point.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
3 CB's isn't enough. One injury or, more likely, suspension. And then your down to playing people out of position.

Vincelot is a talented player, but cover at CB? I'd have thought he is more cover for Bridcutt and Bridge/Calderon.

However, reading that article all I see is Gus saying we could do with one but we are not going to panic buy one. Ignasi Miquel is probably too talented to be a 3rd or 4th choice CB.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
El Abd was superb last season. I believe he's about the same height as Carles Puyol, is he too short? Our best headerers of the ball are El Abd and Bridcutt, proving height doesn't matter if you have ability.

Bridders is FREAKISHLY good at winning headers for a small fella!

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I think the move for Tommy Elphick was the right one, I don't think he would of started that many games for us and was always going to be behind El-Abd and Dunk in the pecking order. Miguel Ignasi rumour has certainly quietened down lately, I wonder if he isn't on our radar anymore and we might get somebody else in.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think, based on very little, that shorter people generally are better at headers. When kids the taller kids don't have to jump as much to head the ball, whereas the shorter kids have to jump more to compete with the tall kids. So shorter players are developing their jumping and heading skills from an earlier age than taller players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have you seen his leap? Every time he jumps up and beats the 6'4 powerhouse in their midfield to the ball, my chair gets a little bit wetter.

Yes it's quite unreal. Sat in the East for Reading (normally WSU) and was great to see him winning headers close up. Best Def CM outside prem IMO - EASILY!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We urgently need a striker... the same cannot be said for CB...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here