Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet wants new centre back after Tommy's departure

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I don't think Elphick would have been sold behind Poyet's back at all. I don't think we're currently in a position that the chairman has to accept £150k at the massive risk of pissing one of our greatest ever managers off. I am sure Poyet wanted him to stay, but as always Gus has put the player's needs first and let him go so he can play regular first team footy.

Would rather we had a youngster come through than get someone else in. More than happy with Dunk/Greer/El-abd but can see Gus' point that one injury, and we don't have any dedicated CB's on the bench.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't think Elphick would have been sold behind Poyet's back at all. I don't think we're currently in a position that the chairman has to accept £150k at the massive risk of pissing one of our greatest ever managers off. I am sure Poyet wanted him to stay, but as always Gus has put the player's needs first and let him go so he can play regular first team footy.

£200K :thumbsup: :lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Calderon would move to centre back when Taricco came on. With Bruno in right back and bridge in left back, Caldy is a centreback option. Painter played there pre-season. If we don't get one, I think we have suitable cover.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Although it is also a position where bans are more frequent and injuries happen regularly. That, and our continuing need for a second quality center-half to partner Greer (Dunk - still needs to develop to cut-out his mistakes, ElAbd is just too small).

El Abd was superb last season. I believe he's about the same height as Carles Puyol, is he too short? Our best headerers of the ball are El Abd and Bridcutt, proving height doesn't matter if you have ability.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Calderon would move to centre back when Taricco came on. With Bruno in right back and bridge in left back, Caldy is a centreback option. Painter played there pre-season. If we don't get one, I think we have suitable cover.

Indeed.Although he started with Birmingham as a full back, Painter played centre back for Swansea in the Championship at one point as I recall.
Although maybe he has a "for sale" sign round his neck too?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
El Abd was superb last season. I believe he's about the same height as Carles Puyol, is he too short? Our best headerers of the ball are El Abd and Bridcutt, proving height doesn't matter if you have ability.

Spot on. El-Abd is MUCH better at getting his head on the ball than Dunk and Greer

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Who would you like to see at BHA? Do you think Poyet would be looking to bring in a CB to replace either El-Abd or Dunk, to play alongside Greer or a CB who is just decent cover?

Personally, I think we are already quite strong in that department. As Poyet has said, a striker is the number one priority.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Agreed I think we have strength at C/H with the players who can play there, lets worry about the striker for now.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Maybe he wants to bring in a CB that is better than Greer, El Abd and Dunk. Allowing Elphick to leave allows him to bring in a quality replacement without unsettling the squad.

The new CB doesn't have to be 4th choice, it may be that he will become our number 1 defender :shrug:

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
And you aren't allowed to keep presenting an old opinion which el Abd has disproved in spades. Too small for what?? Clearly Gus Poyet hasn't thought that. Small attackers LOVE tall defenders anyway, they get all sorts out of them with the ball on the ground. Anyway, how "small" do you think el Abd is anyway? Got a guess at his height out of interest?

Yes height is not an issue, El Abd is our best cb imo, good quality for this division

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
And you aren't allowed to keep presenting an old opinion which el Abd has disproved in spades. Too small for what?? Clearly Gus Poyet hasn't thought that. Small attackers LOVE tall defenders anyway, they get all sorts out of them with the ball on the ground. Anyway, how "small" do you think el Abd is anyway? Got a guess at his height out of interest?

Yes height is not an issue, El Abd is our best cb imo, good quality for this division

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Spine of the side. I was surprised that a new centre-back was not on the list last summer. If the Spanish system is played I would like to see a Ramos style defender, one that can play a bit in midfield.

I wondered if Wayne Bridge could play centre-back? I don't think he ever has. I think the squad does not need more than 25 senior players, so if we sign someone, perhaps part exchange?

Last edited:

Leebrighton

Aug 8, 2012

Re el abd was superb last season only played 10 to 12 games at end of season off which we never got to many points which cost us play off spot we have moved on from that style cb to players who are good on the ball after watching Crawley game Adam clearly is not makes to many mistakes

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Re el abd was superb last season only played 10 to 12 games at end of season off which we never got to many points which cost us play off spot we have moved on from that style cb to players who are good on the ball after watching Crawley game Adam clearly is not makes to many mistakes

23 starts, two sub appearances. 9 wins, 8 draws, 8 losses. We got 32 points in league games he featured in (8 wins, 7 losses, 8 draws)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The back four failed the test at West Ham last season. And they weren't getting around the back of the Albion but crossing from deep. This is an option for any team with a mobile target man.

Failed defence:
Brezovan; Calderon, Greer, El-Abd, Painter;

And it wasn't down to mistakes either. We needed the defensive presence in the centre. We would have come unstuck against other teams like Millwall if Henderson could finish. A lump into the channels is a valid tactical strategy. It risks the attacking side giving the ball away too much and I would rather work the ball around and find an opening. But against the Albion I would be liable to try this option.

I think Dunk does OK but then he makes a mistake. Now we have got two full backs the long far post cross should not be such a problem.

Witha mobile target man, it sometimes draw defenders out of position and allows the opposing midfield to run at the Albion defence. Two holding midfielders can stop this, but it is better to have a better holding defender (better than Navarro) and a mobile centre half.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here