Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet Wanted By Portsmouth

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I can think of several reasons why Poyet won't be interested. Portsmouth are a club in free fall. Whoever goes there will have a threadbare team with no money to improve. They have a crumbling stadium unlike Falmer. They may not even be in existence in a few months time anyway, they are not a 'big' club and frankly never have been.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only a lunatic would leave the Albion to manage Portsmouth in their current predicament. Is Poyet going to be linked with every job at a Southern team without a manager now? How f***ing dull.

Now if West Ham were interested :eek:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Only a lunatic would leave the Albion to manage Portsmouth in their current predicament. Is Poyet going to be linked with every job at a Southern team without a manager now? How f***ing dull.

Now if West Ham were interested :eek:

Thinking about it more, as Poyet is under contract just how would Pompey stump up compensation ? Can't see anybody taking an IOU from them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We are just going to have to get used to this everytime a half decent team sacks there manager Gus will be mentioned and to be honest it is flattering to have a manager others would love. In time he will go, i do feel however he will stay at least until Falmer and when that happens i can see him wanting to see the first season through there. I could be wrong as football is a funny old game as they say. Portsmouth are not a club to worry about so forget it, and chill in the sun watch the ladies walk by and dream of Falmer my fellow Seagulls. :thumbsup:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
We are just going to have to get used to this everytime a half decent team sacks there manager Gus will be mentioned and to be honest it is flattering to have a manager others would love. In time he will go, i do feel however he will stay at least until Falmer and when that happens i can see him wanting to see the first season through there. I could be wrong as football is a funny old game as they say. Portsmouth are not a club to worry about so forget it, and chill in the sun watch the ladies walk by and dream of Falmer my fellow Seagulls. :thumbsup:

What he says.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think his decision to stay with BHA will be influenced by the amount of resources he is given to build a promotion squad for next season. If TB stumps up the cash he would be a fool to walk away from the reputation-establishing opportunity here at Brighton just now.

Year One: Saved a poor team from relegation whilst establishing himself as an honourable and loyal man.
Year Two: Won promotion and moves on having "kept his promise".

If TB is unwilling to stump up the cash this closed season, then Gus could (only culd) take a job offer and claim that he IS loyal but that he was promised a war chest that didn't materialise, so had no choice. Don't think this scenario will happen, but it's a possible route is TB doesn't get out the cheque book.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Given the fuss he's made about Calderòn having the front to hold out for a better offer, Gus would look ridiculous walking out for a club not much bigger than ourselves and on the way down.

No chance.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Given the fuss he's made about Calderòn having the front to hold out for a better offer, Gus would look ridiculous walking out for a club not much bigger than ourselves and on the way down.

No chance.

Absolutely agree - Poyet seems to be building the scaffolding to hang himself off. He's going to have to turn down some good clubs to keep his credibility.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Thinking about it more, as Poyet is under contract just how would Pompey stump up compensation ? Can't see anybody taking an IOU from them.

Surely they have a transfer imbargo too. They would have to pay compo, therefore appointing Poyet would be a transfer, no? Their creditors would go ballistic if they spent money on a manager when there are so many manangers out of work who would be free.

Maybe they can appoint Pardew after he gets sacked today.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Absolutely agree - Poyet seems to be building the scaffolding to hang himself off. He's going to have to turn down some good clubs to keep his credibility.

Or find a way to create a pre-text, such as 'no budget', 'promises broken'. Doesn't take much to set it up to get out without egg on face. I don't think he will but it's not difficult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here