Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Spurs?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Reading this from today's Argus, no real surprise if Gus left if he was offered the Spurs job. Redknapp is a shoo-in for England. Would Spurs be brave enough to give him a Premiership break?

-------------

Gus Poyet believes Albion are his best route to his goal of managing in the Premier League.

But if the right offer comes along before then he would give it serious consideration.

Poyet gets a chance to showcase his top flight credentials when the Seagulls go to Anfield tomorrow to face Liverpool in the fifth round of the FA Cup.

The former Chelsea and Spurs midfielder said: “My aim is to get to the Premier League as a manager. The way we are set up at Brighton now the easiest way is with Brighton, to get there ready to stay there, not just to go up and down.

“Then, if we cannot make it or opportuities come before that, I would think about it. I’m not the type of manager that is going to tell you what everyone wants to hear, that I am going to stay here for life.

“It’s a great place to be now. In three or four years time if I haven’t made the Premier League and I have got a chance to go to a Premier League club that I think is a better opportunity for me the chairman knows that, there are no secrets.

“At the moment I prefer not to think about it, because if I start thinking this manager or that manager is coming or going it becomes crazy and you don’t concentrate on the job.”

Wolves sacked Mick McCarthy this week, Tottenham’s Harry Redknapp is the hot favourite to become England boss and other Premier League managerial changes are inevitable between now and the beginning of next season.

Poyet added: “If it’s coming we will deal with that. If it is the right place we’ve got a problem, because I’m going to think about it really deeply.

“If it’s a place I don’t think is for me it’s simple, a no. I am trying to be normal and not anticipate anything, because I agreed with the chairman to sign a long-term contract, so I am not going to change now.”

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nothing we didn't know.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spurs will be looking for 'the next level' in management.
Someone who can win trophies, it won't last long, but this is there best chance in 20 odd years.

The likes of Wolves et al, won't be able to offer Gus anything better than he's got already.
The same goes for any other Championship side.

I keep saying it tongue in cheek, esp with his Spurs connections, but if Arsene screws it up and The Gooners struggle to make Europe next year, and no trophies his year.
I can see Gus being deemed a 'cheap' Wenger by the incredibly cheap Arsenal board.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Gus wouldn't even get into their reserve, reserve list. It's just nonsense to think it. We might think he's the business, he might think he's the business but (excuse the pun) he's not in the same league as those they'll be looking at.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Would Spurs be brave enough to give him a Premiership break?

no. they aren't about to take a risky option, they will pay money to get a "name" that has experience of top league, European football. anything else will be seen as a step back. Gus isnt a name yet.

I can see Gus being deemed a 'cheap' Wenger by the incredibly cheap Arsenal board.

similar sence of flair and promotion of youth, i can sort of see this. however the board isnt cheap, its been covered before they are offering the funds, Wenger doesnt want to spend them. expect them to appoint an experienced manger too, Mourinho would be my bet.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Loyalty in football only seems to come from a situation when you aren't good enough to progress to anything better.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
No gus wouldn't be on spurs list end of,winning league 1 and doing well in the championship with a good budget is not good enough to manage a top 4,ish club like spurs.

Gus is at the best place right now and he knows that,if i was in his shoes i would also pump myself up and show ambition like he has.Gus has another few years and maybe some testing times to see how far he is going and then he will know if he's good enough.

Could always highlight other quotes:

-------------

Gus Poyet believes Albion are his best route to his goal of managing in the Premier League.

But if the right offer comes along before then he would give it serious consideration.

Poyet gets a chance to showcase his top flight credentials when the Seagulls go to Anfield tomorrow to face Liverpool in the fifth round of the FA Cup.

The former Chelsea and Spurs midfielder said: “My aim is to get to the Premier League as a manager. The way we are set up at Brighton now the easiest way is with Brighton, to get there ready to stay there, not just to go up and down.

“Then, if we cannot make it or opportuities come before that, I would think about it. I’m not the type of manager that is going to tell you what everyone wants to hear, that I am going to stay here for life.

“It’s a great place to be now. In three or four years time if I haven’t made the Premier League and I have got a chance to go to a Premier League club that I think is a better opportunity for me the chairman knows that, there are no secrets.

“At the moment I prefer not to think about it, because if I start thinking this manager or that manager is coming or going it becomes crazy and you don’t concentrate on the job.”

Wolves sacked Mick McCarthy this week, Tottenham’s Harry Redknapp is the hot favourite to become England boss and other Premier League managerial changes are inevitable between now and the beginning of next season.

Poyet added: “If it’s coming we will deal with that. If it is the right place we’ve got a problem, because I’m going to think about it really deeply.

“If it’s a place I don’t think is for me it’s simple, a no. I am trying to be normal and not anticipate anything, because I agreed with the chairman to sign a long-term contract, so I am not going to change now.”

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The top premiership teams just do not promote from the lower leagues. The second tier clubs do but are they really what Gus wants? As for the third tier of premiership clubs, well frankly we are bigger than them so no competition.

How many more times will we be subjected to such ridiculous conjecture?

TNBA

TTF

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No. If spurs were 8th, with no european football, maybe, like arsenal were when wenger went there. But they will finish third and be in the champions league, they aren't going to piss that up by appointing a young relatively unproven guy.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
No gus wouldn't be on spurs list end of,winning league 1 and doing well in the championship with a good budget is not good enough to manage a top 4,ish club like spurs.

Gus is at the best place right now and he knows that,if i was in his shoes i would also pump myself up and show ambition like he has.Gus has another few years and maybe some testing times to see how far he is going and then he will know if he's good enough.

I said yesterday, assuming we don't go up this year (which I doubt), if we don't look like going up next season, he'll be gone at the earliest opportunity. Not that I want that, but it's what I think, and he's made no secret of it, and never spolken of any loyalty towards us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Does anyone honestly think that Spurs would assign their future to someone who has taken A medium sized provincial club to NINTH in the Championship?

They are more likely to go for someone like Hiddink, who has European experience. I am sure ideally they would like Maureen if he throws his toys out at Madrid, but his eyes are elsewhere in the Prem.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I can see Redknapp taking on the England team at the end of the season, for Euro 2012, and then continuing as Spurs manager, and someone else taking over the national side.

Harry will not want to have a poor tournament with England, and then watch Spurs do well in the Champions League next year.

The FA may not be keen on this, but I reckon if they really want Redknapp this is their only option. Can't see Redknapp leaving Spurs given where they are now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here