Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet The Rookie - Lessons to be learned

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
What right have any of us here got to call Gus a 'rookie'. Have we played at his level..no. Have we managed or been assistant manager at his level ...no.
Has he made mistakes in his job..maybe. Have we made mistakes in our jobs...for sure.
Would we like it if he called us rookies at our job , or no good....we would be hurt and upset.
Why dont we all just give this a f***ing rest 1

Rookie is not an insult it is a statement of fact - he has been a manager for less than a year and is doing a bloody good job as far as I am concerned, (I would have kept Dickinson until we had an replacement, Tunnicliffe and McNulty as well)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Poyet seems to work on the basis that he keeps players who are willing to sweat blood and tears for the cause or at least sweat blood and tears to make the matchday squad.

All of those mentioned did not seem to be that sort of player.

McNulty wanted to move to get first team football and was not willing to stay and fight.

Dickinson ponced about for much of the year and called in sick when he was seemingly well enough to gallivant around town.

Do we miss Tunnicliffe? El-Abd, Elphick and Greer (when he is available) seem to be more than adequate. Tunnicliffe never did much to suggest he could add anything at present from what I saw of him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love how so many people on here know more about football than someone who's player at the highest level.

? You do not need to know anything about football to make a call about very basic admin and/or resource judgements.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
I laugh at everyone who moans about Gus!!!

For years i have watched the Albion and more often than not, I have watched crap footie that had me worrying that we would concede all the time..

Now we play decent footie, look solid and have a manager would wants certain players instead of just panic buying to the whim of the fans!!!

Back Gus, Long term he will get us at least to a top half Championship team

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
I laugh at everyone who moans about Gus!!!

For years i have watched the Albion and more often than not, I have watched crap footie that had me worrying that we would concede all the time..

Now we play decent footie, look solid and have a manager would wants certain players instead of just panic buying to the whim of the fans!!!

Back Gus, Long term he will get us at least to a top half Championship team

But I seriously doubt he will be here long term

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rookie is not an insult it is a statement of fact - he has been a manager for less than a year and is doing a bloody good job as far as I am concerned, (I would have kept Dickinson until we had an replacement, Tunnicliffe and McNulty as well)

In an ideal world maybe he would have kept Tunnicliff and McNulty but maybe he decided to send them out on loan whilst there was an opportunity to do so. The chance might not have arisen again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What - keep the people you don't want at the club from the clubs who do them (and are prepared to cough up for) until you find someone you want?

No, I was replying to Notters who suggested that someone who has not played pro football cannot point out a mistake by someone who has. In some areas I'm sure this is the case, but in simple admin and resource I dispute this claim. I trust Gus' judgement and timing on the loan deals with McNulty and Tunnicliffe btw.

Last edited:

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I'm not quite sure what some people expect.

We had a good win at Swindon, we would have has three points against Rochdale if it hadn't been for a goalkeeping mistake and we would have got something frm the Wednesday game if we hadn't been playing the referee as well.

He's been unlucky with the suspensions and injury to Navarro but I still think it will be alright, certainly better than it has been for the past couple of saesons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here