Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet still on Wolves radar...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think as far as taking a current job offer on, the perceived "size" of the club is completely irrelevant, it's about a clubs standing at the time.

For instance, the 2 Sheffield clubs arguably have a greater history and would be considered a "bigger" club than say Wigan or West Brom, but if the chance to manage one or the other came up, would you rather manage West Brom in the Premiership, or Sheffield W in League 1?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Well Huddersfield won 3 leagues in a row in the 1930's, would you say they're a bigger club than us?

I appreciate Wolves were a big club many years ago but they're not any longer and our future is far brighter than theirs. If we're still in the Championship next season I fully expect we'll finish higher than them and be getting bigger audiences.

Sorry Crodon but Wolves have spent each of the last 20 seasons in the 1st or 2nd division, no matter how you look at it they are a bigger club and it will take much more progression for us to even match them let alone take them over.

Your earlier point of finances ect means F all. In the Championship we have much more money and matchday revenue than a number of clubs who are much bigger than us, Forrest and Derby just two examples.

We have a decent fanbase and excellent potential but we are nowhere near the size or stature of Wolves and possible 30+ other league clubs, I love this club and don't want to sell us short but I have to be a realist.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Villa stay up then that would be a great job to take.

Its the one that worries me.
If they ditched McLeish and came knocking for Gus, I'd be absolutely amazed if he didn't take it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Has he just said he'd like the Chelsea job just the once then? Why does he keep the love affair alive by spouting off at every opportunity. It may just be me but I think he could stand off with the Chelsea and SSN stuff now, ( not that that is relevant to this thread)

I think Abramovich knows he wants the job, so he should just let it go until such time as he's offered it. I hope he never is :smile:

you read too much into Return of the Rev's mischief making

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Its the one that worries me.
If they ditched McLeish and came knocking for Gus, I'd be absolutely amazed if he didn't take it.

The only thing that comforts me is that they are in deep do-do at the moment. It would take a COMPLETE overhaul of the squad and i'm not so sure a chairmen would trust a relatively unproven manager with the MANY monies needed at this stage.

But that's me thinking if why they wouldnt go for him. If they DID he would have to take it. Massive club.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
they should have kept Mick...really shocked they let him go
This. I think it's finally dawned on Wolves that they've made a monumental cock up and they're about to pay the price ( relegation ). I guess they're now looking for the best Championship managers, as it's unlikely a Prem manager would touch them with a barge pole. Unfortunately for Wolves, the best Championship managers won't touch them with a barge pole either!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Have a feeling Gus will end up at Swansea, with Rogers at Spurs.

I've always has a soft spot for Wolves, so hope they stay up - but sadly it looks unlikely. In spite of who's bigger and parachute payments, I really believe Wolves will be in turmoil during the summer and could face a difficult time in the Championship. Gus won't leave for them.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Can we get this straight......sorry to have to say thisWE ARE NOT A BIG CLUB

Wolves are not a "BIG" club but they are a lot bigger than us in every way. We are doing well in our chequered history but every club has potential of being bigger than they were at some point in their history. We are not yet even as big as in the 80s. All this "we are a big club" makes us look so small-time!

* Big clubs
Barcelona, Man U, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Inter,AC Milan ect ect ect

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Here's the article:-

"Solskjaer may fit the bill for Wolves

Wolves are likely to consider appointing a young, up-and-coming coach in the summer – but there has been no approach yet for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

A report today claimed the former Manchester United striker tops chairman Steve Morgan’s wanted list if he gets rid of boss Terry Connor at the end of the season.

Solskjaer has made a name for himself after leading Molde to the Norwegian title at his first attempt to secure a crack at the Champions League. But Wolves today insisted there is no truth in the report.

Sources say Solskjaer, who was first linked to the job in the days after Mick McCarthy’s sacking in February, wants to prove himself further in his homeland, with the lure of Champions League football also expected to hold sway.

Conversely, it looks like Championship football is ahead for Wolves.

Among those Morgan is expected to consider in the summer are Brighton boss Gus Poyet, Crystal Palace manager Dougie Freedman – a former Wolves striker – and Burnley’s Eddie Howe.

Paul Ince, 44, has also been linked with the job, and there are attractions to a return for the former Molineux skipper.

Ince made 131 appearances for Wolves from 2002-06 and would jump at the chance of returning to the club he captained to promotion to the Premier League under Dave Jones in 2003.

Ince, who has maintained contact with chief executive Jez Moxey, would be a popular choice among many fans and topped an Express & Star poll to succeed Glenn Hoddle before McCarthy was appointed in July 2006.

The former Manchester United midfielder impressed at an interview, but it was felt the job had come too soon as he had no managerial experience. He then cut his teeth and enjoyed relative success at Macclesfield and Milton Keynes Dons.

However, it’s believed his recent experiences at Blackburn, the Dons and Notts County haven’t convinced Morgan he’s the right man to take charge.

Connor and backroom staff Steve Weaver, Pat Mountain and Tony Daley are under contract and they would be due compensation if a new man brought in his own staff."

Ifs, buts & maybes. It's amazing how a short article based on speculation & conjecture not originating from Wolves can provoke such a strong reaction on NSC!

Although, on second thoughts...... :)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Have a feeling Gus will end up at Swansea, with Rogers at Spurs.

There's more chance of me managing Swansea next season than Gustavo Poyet. If he's not going to Wolves he sure ain't going to Swansea. Nigel Adkins and Brian McDermott, to name just two, would be way ahead of Gus in any managerial head hunt involving Championship managers, and as for the Premiership big guns who are seeking new management, they'll be looking at Paul Lambert, Brendan Rogers and abroad before any Championship manager. Why do people think the world of managerial vacancies revolves solely around Gus Poyet? It's utterly absurd.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dougie Freedman could be a surprise contender for the Wolves job after Palace sell 4 of his best players in the summer.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Your earlier point of finances ect means F all. In the Championship we have much more money and matchday revenue than a number of clubs who are much bigger than us, Forest and Derby just two examples.

I'd be very surprised if our matchday revenue is higher than Derby - even with the pies and Harveys! Their total attendance so far is 522,304 (average 26,115) compared to our400,276 (average 20,014). Even Forest's average crowd this season in a poor year for them is 21,738 ...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There's more chance of me managing Swansea next season than Gustavo Poyet. If he's not going to Wolves he sure ain't going to Swansea. Nigel Adkins and Brian McDermott, to name just two, would be way ahead of Gus in any managerial head hunt involving Championship managers, and as for the Premiership big guns who are seeking new management, they'll be looking at Paul Lambert, Brendan Rogers and abroad before any Championship manager. Why do people think the world of managerial vacancies revolves solely around Gus Poyet? It's utterly absurd.

I don't think it is as far fetched as you think! Similar playing style. If I was Swansea chairman, I would want to continue what has been successful and Poyet is a good fit. Whilst I don't disagree with your comments re 'big guns', I would suggest Swansea are not in THAT company yet.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Wolves have always been a bigger club than us and still are, to claim anything else is absurd.

That said, I still don't think Wolves fit the criteria for Gus, as in all likelihood he'd be starting from scratch again with a club in the same division as us. And the way their chairman / chief exec have handled the whole McCarthy sacking and Connor appointment was a complete and utter fiasco - would Gus REALLY want to be answering to those clowns ? Mmmnah.

However, if the VILLA job comes up in the summer, thats a different matter...

I could see Villa being a very attractive proposition for Gus. Good squad, good youth system generous chairman. He would surely make them stronger than Big Eck has!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd be very surprised if our matchday revenue is higher than Derby - even with the pies and Harveys! Their total attendance so far is 522,304 (average 26,115) compared to our400,276 (average 20,014). Even Forest's average crowd this season in a poor year for them is 21,738 ...

I take your point and I can only work on assumptions but personally I think regardless of where we sit attendance wise I reckon our match day revenue would be higher than alot of teams in the division. Our ticket prices may be reasonable but they are not amongst lowest by quite some way, also there cant be many clubs where fans turn up two hours before the match to eat and drink add to that over two thousand hospitaility spectators and a club shop seemingly doing a roaring trade I think it's fair to assume we are on a very good financial footing.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Dougie Freedman could be a surprise contender for the Wolves job after Palace sell 4 of his best players in the summer.

And his first signing could be Murray. I'd love that.

Finally Falmer

Jul 18, 2010
It's actually quite embarrasing that some people think we are a bigger club than Wolves. Yes, our current prospects are good, and at this point in time i'd rather be in our position than theirs, but Wolves are a much much bigger club than us, with a great history.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
It's actually quite embarrasing that some people think we are a bigger club than Wolves. Yes, our current prospects are good, and at this point in time i'd rather be in our position than theirs, but Wolves are a much much bigger club than us, with a great history.

Agreed 100% plus they have a great badge!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If we don't go up this season, then Poyet could well think he stands a better chance with a £50million parachute payment of getting fast track to the prem with Wolves next season. i've said it once I will say it again, the only way Poyet will be here next season will be if we are in prem. If we are not then I think a lot of clubs will be tapping him up,,,Wolves/West Ham/ Swansea/ maybe Villa to name but a few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here