Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet still on Wolves radar...

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The fact that they are talking about coming back could quite easily mean that Gus was not THAT dismissive last time they came calling imo.

I'm waiting for a decent Brighton manager to actually come out and say " I love this club and I want to take it as far as I can". Gus makes me feel uneasy about his commitment to us if something that he perceives to be just a little bit better comes along. Maybe it's just me but I think we are now big enough and with enough facilities to demand that our manager should not be hanging what sometimes appear to be a come and get me signs. I felt the same way about MA prostituting himself but in fairness to him we didn't have much of an infrastructure then.

He didn't get asked last time so there was nothing for him to dismiss.

I've lost count the number of times he's said that.

Why should he need to say it more than once?

Indeed. I don't know why people ignore Gus' praise for us when he speaks about wanting to stay here.

So he may in fact be interested, so can't blame them coming back and I wouldn't be as confident as most on this thread that he wouldn't go tbh.

Why ignore his comments about it taking something very special to prise him away?

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
It will be rather odd if Poyet leaves a club in the top flight to manage wolves next season , but one never knows .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why ignore his comments about it taking something very special to prise him away?

So you feel you can safely say that he wouldn't find going to Wolves special?? I wish I had your confidence in how committed he is to us. I don't even blame him looking at bettering himself, it's the blind faith shown by many that he's not going anywhere except a top job that I can't run with, given his wiilingness to talk about other clubs.

How many other managers spend so much time talking about clubs other than their own? Genuine question as I don't actually have SSN, so it may be commonplace :shrug:

Last edited:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I think the job is a poison chalice for anyone who wants it. You can see there are clearly egos within the Players. Look at Saturday against Bolton for example. Johnson and their keeper, nearly had a fight on the pitch. I don't think that is team spirit do you?!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
So you feel you can safely say that he wouldn't find going to Wolves special?? I wish I had your confidence in how committed he is to us. I don't even blame him looking at bettering himself, it's the blind faith shown by many that he's not going anywhere except a top job that I can't run with, given his wiilingness to talk about other clubs.

How many other managers spend so much time talking about clubs other than their own? Genuine question as I don't actually have SSN, so it may be commonplace :shrug:

Another Championship team where he won't have the control over everything that he has here (i.e. right down to the youngsters and designing the new training facility), a top class chairman who he clearly works very well with and a squad of players he is moulding very nicely into his own style of football? I really, REALLY don't think he'd want to go to Wolves.

Why not just have faith in what he has said about us and staying here, unless the "special" opportunity comes up?

He is very popular with the media for his outspoken nature, his playing history in the English top flight and his success early on in his managerial career. He is always going to be someone they go to for quotes on Spurs and Chelsea and anything else in the World of football. His quotes can be absolute dynamite for them - Suarez for instance.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think the job is a poison chalice for anyone who wants it. You can see there are clearly egos within the Players. Look at Saturday against Bolton for example. Johnson and their keeper, nearly had a fight on the pitch. I don't think that is team spirit do you?!

Erm, didn't Greer and CMS has an on pitch argument not too long ago?!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I assume this is a joke?

Absolutley not, let me point out a few facts...

We've got more chance of being in the Premier League next season than Wolves, and if we don't get promoted...

1) We'll have a higher net spend than them in the summer
2) We'll have a higher average attendance than them in the summer
3) We'll finish above them next season

Plus I think we'll make a far better fight than Wolves have over the past 3 seasons in the Premier League when we get there. Our future is a lot brighter than theirs.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

We've got more chance of being in the Premier League next season than Wolves, and if we don't get promoted...

Plus I think we'll make a far better fight than Wolves have over the past 3 seasons in the Premier League when we get there. Our future is a lot brighter than theirs.

Ok wow, I think I might have different criteria for what makes a club bigger than us, such as major trophies won (wolves six, us none) seasons in top flight (Wolves 62, us 4) average attendances (don’t even need to bother quoting figures)

I know it’s about the here and now but we’d have to a very large number of good seasons to even be considered a similar size IMO. By your reckoning we would be a much larger club than Sheffield Wednesday? I admit at present we are some way ahead of them but you can’t simply discount 100 years of history after one decent season of league placing and attendances.

I think some us (no offence) need a good dose of reality!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ok wow, I think I might have different criteria for what makes a club bigger than us, such as major trophies won (wolves six, us none) seasons in top flight (Wolves 62, us 4) average attendances (don’t even need to bother quoting figures)

I know it’s about the here and now but we’d have to a very large number of good seasons to even be considered a similar size IMO. By your reckoning we would be a much larger club than Sheffield Wednesday? I admit at present we are some way ahead of them but you can’t simply discount 100 years of history after one decent season of league placing and attendances.

Gus has his feet firmly planted in reality.

Another thing he has said is that a club can have the most illustrious history there is, but if you can't work with the chairman, you're not going to succeed. And face it, the Wolves chairman hardly smothered himself in glory over the McCarthy sacking / finding a replacement episode, did he?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Gus has his feet firmly planted in reality.

Another thing he has said is that a club can have the most illustrious history there is, but if you can't work with the chairman, you're not going to succeed. And face it, the Wolves chairman hardly smothered himself in glory over the McCarthy sacking / finding a replacement episode, did he?

Don't get me wrong, I agree we're a much better prospect than Wolves and believe we are potentially a club on the cusp of something very special but to claim we are a bigger club than Wolves whatever you feel constitutes such a claim is IMO very deluded.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wolves have always been a bigger club than us and still are, to claim anything else is absurd.

That said, I still don't think Wolves fit the criteria for Gus, as in all likelihood he'd be starting from scratch again with a club in the same division as us. And the way their chairman / chief exec have handled the whole McCarthy sacking and Connor appointment was a complete and utter fiasco - would Gus REALLY want to be answering to those clowns ? Mmmnah.

However, if the VILLA job comes up in the summer, thats a different matter...

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst

Sheffield Weds, Sheff United all fall into the above and are bigger clubs than us. As I said in another thread- a good season in the Championship and a nice shiny stadium dont make us a big club.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Well Huddersfield won 3 leagues in a row in the 1930's, would you say they're a bigger club than us?

I appreciate Wolves were a big club many years ago but they're not any longer and our future is far brighter than theirs. If we're still in the Championship next season I fully expect we'll finish higher than them and be getting bigger audiences.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sheffield Weds, Sheff United all fall into the above and are bigger clubs than us. As I said in another thread- a good season in the Championship and a nice shiny stadium dont make us a big club.

Both Sheff Utd and Wolves are middle-sized clubs. We may not have the same histories (winning cups in the 1930s/40s/50s/60s), but we very much have the 'potential' to be a middle-sized club ourselves, so let's not sell ourselves too short here eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here