Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: Season could hinge on siging striker

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
FFS. Gus knows the budget, and IS happy with it. He wouldn't have signed his new deal otherwise.

Tony Bloom has said in person to fans at Sheffield W that the money IS there if Gus finds the right player.

Gus MIGHT be frustrated with the market, but that does not equate to 'pissed off with Bloom".

Carry on.

I'm with you on this one. I think that he is generally frustrated that he has not been able to attract the type of player that he wants to the club and has lost players to injury already. The chairman has probably said something like "you have a budget left - if you spend it all on one player there may not be any more for further players", which is what I would expect any sensible businessman to say. Whether there would or would not be more funds is another thing entirely.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its obvious that Gus is frustrated about the situation, but anything to worry about - no. I know Bloom said that he would like the Albion to gain automatic promotion - but I suspect he regrets that now. That was the fan speaking.

In reality getting Brighton to the Championship will take more than 1 year. Poyet knows this (which is why he signed a 4 year contract........2 years to get his team exactly how he wants it and then to consolidate). I guess that he feels we are just within touching distance - hence the frustration.

We have signed players on 2-3 year deals. We wont need to spend in these areas next year. So, more or less he can blow next years entire budget on say 1-2 players, including a "star" striker.

Maybe, if the absolute player comes along, then Bloom will get his wallet out. I doubt it though. I think we need to settle for a play off near miss, with a real go for top 2 next year.

Top post. I totally agree.

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
After reading that, to me it doesn't say the board are telling him how to spend his budget, Poyet has already said he wants 4 more players but he wants to spend what is left on just one player and still have money after that to get in the other 3 - 4 players he is after.

Since we don't know the budget we don't know how much 30% is so can't work out how much money he has left to spend on a striker and see if that is enough to get a decent striker + the other players or not rather than Bloom telling him how to spend his budget.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That may be true, but without knowing the full state of his fitness I would still suggest that we could have done with an hour of Forster over our first three games. I remember the Brentford home match, think it was his last game for us, we were 1-0 up, having dominated most of the game but Brentford were coming back into it and putting us under a bit of pressure, we brought on Forster with 15 or so minutes to go, he gave us a new attacking impetus and helped us win 3-0. We could have done with that against Sheffield Wednesday and we could have done with it against Rochdale. I guess we'll just have to see over the season whether he is up to playing that role.

Fair point.

Unfortunately though, fitness issues aside, I think he burnt his bridges with Gus the minute he slapped in that transfer request (just after the window had closed). The writing was on the wall then that his days of working with Gus were numbered. We were in the middle of a relegation scrap, so the timing couldn't have been worse (or more ridiculous). He was never going to get another year here after that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Other teams who are convinced we are the Man City of League One.

The '70% spent / 30% left' comment was aimed at them (I hope)...

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I don't think it would be unfair to suggest Gus has perhaps been a little naive in terms of his transfer activity.

This is not a criticism but merely an observation as it is his first managerial position.

However some of our dealings have been 'unusual' in terms of personnel who have come and gone but the striker situation has been blindingly obvious for months.

The quality of football is unquestionably higher than for some time but you still need to score goals and cannot rely on wonder strikes by Bennett and other midfielders indefinitely.

Barnes did a good job last year but IMHO is not what we need for promotion.

Lua Lua will help if and when he comes back but the problem is that our key striker, Murray, has simply not shown a ruthlessness in front of goal to score the goals we need for a promotion push.

It's not rocket science but Gus should not show his frustration as he is in a better position that anyone to cope with this and to find a solution.

Let's hope he does :thumbsup:

Nail on head. As recently as a couple of days ago certain posters were chastised on this forum for daring to admit that they were a tad disappointed by our lack of strength in depth for the start of the season and concerned that the situation might not be resolved before the transfer window closes (as it's been ongoing since the end of last season).

As you say, let's hope that GP and TB between them manage to get these players in. If they don't, most of us will still be grateful for a beautiful new stadium and attractive football, but we can completely forget about promotion this season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Very much this.

With a sprinkling of this. I wouldn't be surprised if he's come out with this just to shut a lot of you lot up.

How does it shut people up? All it will do is increase the concern!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
FFS. Gus knows the budget, and IS happy with it. He wouldn't have signed his new deal otherwise.

Tony Bloom has said in person to fans at Sheffield W that the money IS there if Gus finds the right player.

Gus MIGHT be frustrated with the market, but that does not equate to 'pissed off with Bloom".

Carry on.

How very dare you speak sense.

The market this year has been strange with the new premiership rules, expect a lot of movement transfer deadline day.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think it is just frustration that any half decent striker commands a big fee, I see Rotherham are rating Le Fondre at £3m, how many would be confident/comfortable with us paying that much TRANSFER FEE on a player like him?

They KNOW they won't get that much for a L2 striker... pure bollox, IMHO...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How does it shut people up? All it will do is increase the concern!

Because people like you keep saying we need a striker and Gus' said we need a striker. Therefore you don't need to keep saying over and over again "we need a striker".

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They KNOW they won't get that much for a L2 striker... pure bollox, IMHO...

Well Derby went in for him and were told they'd be interested at around £3m apparently.... I certainly don't think they NEED to sell him, which makes the reason most people think he is achievable to us even more ridiculous

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Because people like you keep saying we need a striker and Gus' said we need a striker. Therefore you don't need to keep saying over and over again "we need a striker".

But, surely, we need a striker... :wave:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Nail on head. As recently as a couple of days ago certain posters were chastised on this forum for daring to admit that they were a tad disappointed by our lack of strength in depth for the start of the season and concerned that the situation might not be resolved before the transfer window closes (as it's been ongoing since the end of last season).

That's not why they are chastised. I think everyone knows and admits that we're a few players short and especially light up front.

It's the suggestion from these people that Poyet and the club haven't been trying to find a striker, or the pointless childish insults (see don whateverhistwatnameis 4ish posts up)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here