Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: Season could hinge on siging striker

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As I was told by one of the coaching staff at one of the pre-season friendlies, he's only got one knee now. .

Even they talk rubbish sometimes though, not suggesting they are in this case, but I was at the Goldstone on business when news broke that Case was being sold to Southampton, I was told by one of the coaching staff that his legs had gone and it was a great deal fro the Albion, Err I believe he did rather well down the coast didn't he, and for a number of years.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
“He (the striker) is the one that is going to make the difference. That’s my way. I know it is difficult to accept it, because people think after you get a player you get three injuries and you are going to try to convince the chairman to get another three, then the budget is going up.

“If we use the 30 per cent to get these four and I get three injuries I’m going to ask him anyway. What is the difference? The way we manage, it’s not my decision so it’s something you need to do with the club, because that is how it works.

“If tomorrow I’m not here another manager comes in and he wants another five so it’s a way of working. I am just saying there are different ways. I think there are positions that are key in a team and I think it is proven.”

I'm not saying he's "pissed off" with Bloom - but there would seem to be a difference of opinion there on where this remaining 30% needs to be channelled.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, Gus' comments definitely suggest he has a disagreement with the board on this...

My POV is the board give Gus the budget... Gus chooses where he spends it...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When Gus does go, it'll be with a flounce, of that I have no doubt :lolol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And who are these alleged 'mind games' aimed at? If they are aimed at the board, then this again suggests a differing POV - Gus and board...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Even they talk rubbish sometimes though, not suggesting they are in this case, but I was at the Goldstone on business when news broke that Case was being sold to Southampton, I was told by one of the coaching staff that his legs had gone and it was a great deal fro the Albion, Err I believe he did rather well down the coast didn't he, and for a number of years.

Well during last season if you'd asked me, I thought Forster would certainly have been worth another year. But then he rocked the boat over the lack of a contract extension, and it became apparent that him and Gus did not see eye to eye, so it was for the best that he moved on.

His season so far at Brentford would seem to bear out the prognosis that his fitness is going to be more of an issue now. It doesn't look like he's got much more to give.

I don't think it would be unfair to suggest Gus has perhaps been a little naive in terms of his transfer activity.

This is not a criticism but merely an observation as it is his first managerial position.

However some of our dealings have been 'unusual' in terms of personnel who have come and gone but the striker situation has been blindingly obvious for months.

The quality of football is unquestionably higher than for some time but you still need to score goals and cannot rely on wonder strikes by Bennett and other midfielders indefinitely.

Barnes did a good job last year but IMHO is not what we need for promotion.

Lua Lua will help if and when he comes back but the problem is that our key striker, Murray, has simply not shown a ruthlessness in front of goal to score the goals we need for a promotion push.

It's not rocket science but Gus should not show his frustration as he is in a better position that anyone to cope with this and to find a solution.

Let's hope he does :thumbsup:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
And who are these alleged 'mind games' aimed at? If they are aimed at the board, then this again suggests a differing POV - Gus and board...

Other teams who are convinced we are the Man City of League One.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
FFS. Gus knows the budget, and IS happy with it. He wouldn't have signed his new deal otherwise.

Tony Bloom has said in person to fans at Sheffield W that the money IS there if Gus finds the right player.

Gus MIGHT be frustrated with the market, but that does not equate to 'pissed off with Bloom".

Carry on.
Very much this.

Mind games?

With a sprinkling of this. I wouldn't be surprised if he's come out with this just to shut a lot of you lot up.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

And you could say the same about Horton and Steve Foster, who both left well before their sell-by dates.

essex seagull

Nov 2, 2008
essex
If we cant afford or find another striker then we have got to try different things .if Barnes is not cutting it( and its early days so give him a chance he was ok last season) ,play 4-5-1 with at least 2 attacking midfielders ,or try someone else up front with Murray ,Battipiedi for example its up to the manager and coaches to do the best with what weve got and for the players to prove that theyre good enough so we dont need to buy anyone else .

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
“He (the striker) is the one that is going to make the difference. That’s my way. I know it is difficult to accept it, because people think after you get a player you get three injuries and you are going to try to convince the chairman to get another three, then the budget is going up.

“If we use the 30 per cent to get these four and I get three injuries I’m going to ask him anyway. What is the difference? The way we manage, it’s not my decision so it’s something you need to do with the club, because that is how it works.

“If tomorrow I’m not here another manager comes in and he wants another five so it’s a way of working. I am just saying there are different ways. I think there are positions that are key in a team and I think it is proven.”

I'm not saying he's "pissed off" with Bloom - but there would seem to be a difference of opinion there on where this remaining 30% needs to be channelled.
It's does come across that way but i really can't see Bloom interfering on the budget side or team matters.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Its obvious that Gus is frustrated about the situation, but anything to worry about - no. I know Bloom said that he would like the Albion to gain automatic promotion - but I suspect he regrets that now. That was the fan speaking.

In reality getting Brighton to the Championship will take more than 1 year. Poyet knows this (which is why he signed a 4 year contract........2 years to get his team exactly how he wants it and then to consolidate). I guess that he feels we are just within touching distance - hence the frustration.

We have signed players on 2-3 year deals. We wont need to spend in these areas next year. So, more or less he can blow next years entire budget on say 1-2 players, including a "star" striker.

Maybe, if the absolute player comes along, then Bloom will get his wallet out. I doubt it though. I think we need to settle for a play off near miss, with a real go for top 2 next year.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think it is just frustration that any half decent striker commands a big fee, I see Rotherham are rating Le Fondre at £3m, how many would be confident/comfortable with us paying that much TRANSFER FEE on a player like him?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Forster lasted an hour for Brentfords first two games, and has come off the bench for the last 15 mins and 5 mins in their last two games. As I was told by one of the coaching staff at one of the pre-season friendlies, he's only got one knee now. Anyone carping on about why we shouldn't have got rid of Forster without a replacement should keep an eye on his Brentford career so far.

We certainly got the best out of the twilight of his career, but he wasn't worth another years contract, as it looks like Brentford will be finding out.
That may be true, but without knowing the full state of his fitness I would still suggest that we could have done with an hour of Forster over our first three games. I remember the Brentford home match, think it was his last game for us, we were 1-0 up, having dominated most of the game but Brentford were coming back into it and putting us under a bit of pressure, we brought on Forster with 15 or so minutes to go, he gave us a new attacking impetus and helped us win 3-0. We could have done with that against Sheffield Wednesday and we could have done with it against Rochdale. I guess we'll just have to see over the season whether he is up to playing that role.

Getting a fee for Dickinson was brilliant business. But Davies, I'm no great fan of, but we had to pay him off for someone else to take him. For me I'd rather have him sitting on the bench as a possible impact sub than Hart or Holroyd at the moment.

It can be easy to forget how new Gus is to management, maybe he has been a bit naive in some of the transfer dealings so far (see also the keeper situation, McNulty).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here