Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: Season could hinge on siging striker

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
begs to ask the question why did we get rid of Forster and Dickinson, both better than what we`ve replaced them with surely?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
begs to ask the question why did we get rid of Forster and Dickinson, both better than what we`ve replaced them with surely?

Forster had to go and Poyet wanted Dickinson to go because he was a lazy shit off the pitch and distraction to alot of the younger players. See his West Street antics

My opinion on the last few days with some of Poyet' statements......possibly a few heated discussions with him and Mr Chairman, negative vibes coming from these stories.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Forster lasted an hour for Brentfords first two games, and has come off the bench for the last 15 mins and 5 mins in their last two games. As I was told by one of the coaching staff at one of the pre-season friendlies, he's only got one knee now. Anyone carping on about why we shouldn't have got rid of Forster without a replacement should keep an eye on his Brentford career so far.

We certainly got the best out of the twilight of his career, but he wasn't worth another years contract, as it looks like Brentford will be finding out.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Forster lasted an hour for Brentfords first two games, and has come off the bench for the last 15 mins and 5 mins in their last two games. As I was told by one of the coaching staff at one of the pre-season friendlies, he's only got one knee now. Anyone carping on about why we shouldn't have got rid of Forster without a replacement should keep an eye on his Brentford career so far.

We certainly got the best out of the twilight of his career, but he wasn't worth another years contract, as it looks like Brentford will be finding out.

And he was a disruptive influence by all accounts.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Maybe this will be a reality check for those who believe that:

A. Players are gagging to come to Brighton.

B. We are the only club who makes an offer for them.

C. We can pay whatever extortionate wages/bonuses/signing on fees/transfer fees/agents' fees are demanded.

And particularly for those who think we haven't been looking and haven't made any offers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gus is sounding very frustrated with the situation, and had he not signed that 4 year deal recently, then an interview like this would have had me shifting very uncomfortably. I think he can sometimes be a bit too honest and open in the press at times, and these remarks certainly suggest there is a fundemental disagreement between him and TB over where the transfer budget needs channelling.

I'm inclined to agree with Gus - a decent striker is an absolute priority right now. And frankly, I know its his money, but I think TB should be backing his managers judgement on this anyway. We're not too badly off in other areas. Central midfield is fine, centrebacks fine, fullbacks are ok (abeit not much cover). Another winger would be nice, but ultimately we do need an experienced finisher up there, because if we're mainly relying on Murray then we are going to struggle in the goals department, I can't see Barnes weighing in with 20-odd just yet.

I'm a long way from even being worried, but it doesn't make for comfortable reading when the board think we need 3 or 4 players in several areas, whilst the manager just wants the rest of the budget to go on a decent striker. At the end of the day, he IS the manager, and I think its his judgements they should be backing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surely the funds available and what they were to used on would have been thrashed out before Gus signed his contract? He took long enough putting pen to paper ffs. Cannot believe that Gus or TB are that naive to not have discussed this in great detail before signing/giving 4 year contracts. having said that they are both beginners in their respective roles...

I'm amused though that nearly everyone feels Gus has every right to demand the money for this striker when our last 5 or 6 managers have had EXACTLY the same problem and been expected to just get on with it

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Surely the funds available and what they were to used on would have been thrashed out before Gus signed his contract? He took long enough putting pen to paper ffs. Cannot believe that Gus or TB are that naive to not have discussed this in great detail before signing/giving 4 year contracts. having said that they are both beginners in their respective roles...
I very much doubt Bloom is classed as a beginner since being involved with the club for years.He certainly has an idea how to run the club and it's finances.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FFS. Gus knows the budget, and IS happy with it. He wouldn't have signed his new deal otherwise.

Tony Bloom has said in person to fans at Sheffield W that the money IS there if Gus finds the right player.

Gus MIGHT be frustrated with the market, but that does not equate to 'pissed off with Bloom".

Carry on.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Increasing frustration coming from Gus who is possibly a bit too honest at times.
It is disappointing that we haven't signed that all important striker and I am sure Gus is right in what he says about our season's prospects.Nevertheless,harsh or not,it is a failure of the club that we haven't got the striker we want....yet!
A bit of a downer to hear such utterings at this stage of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here