Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet really needs to pull 2-3 players out of the bag

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
If not then we are relegation certainties. A number of current key players at Poyets disposal are clearly not good enough. I’ve no doubt hat Poyet is a better coach than Slade, yet we still ship easy goals.

Slade really is to blame for this. Despite us shipping goals last season, he completely neglected that part of the team. Bringing in Tunnicliffe simply wasn’t good enough., when McNulty was nowhere near being fit enough (Jake Wright was a panic buy if ever there was one) and Whing/Elphick/Virgo clearly aren’t good enough either

I really hope that Poyet can find 2-3 players during January, infact I hope he and Bloom have done the donkey work now and we sign them early in January. Where they get them from who knows. No team , unless really needing the money will let their better players go.

If he cant get them, then we will be going down

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I’ve got a feeling that regardless of how much we spend in January we will be relegated. We can’t beat teams above us, we have struggled against the weaker teams in this division.
I really can’t see where we will get the 30+ points we will need to survive.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
We have played 7 league games under Poyet, won 2 and lost 5 which doesn't sound good. However all the teams we lost to are in the top 6 so I'm not that worried yet.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Good thread there Mr D.

I guess some of the signings made by RS inevitably lead to apportioning blame in his direction, but it still doesn't explain why players such as Elphick, Whing, Cox, & Virgo have been playing like drains for much - if not all - of this season. Admittedly many of Slade's signings have turned out to be poor choices, but why the hell are so many of them still playing way below their potential? Add to that some of the leftovers from Micky's 'Second Coming' (eg Hawkins & Mcleod) who are seemingly happy to do very little & see their contracts out, then the sitch goes from extremely woeful to piss-poor.

Additionally, what with Barry Lloyd has a great deal of clout when it comes to the recruitement of players, & rumours of power-struggles & ill-feeling occurring between him & previous managers: it doesn't seem to me like a very effective way of providing any football club with a solid base for success. Whether such events have happened - I wouldn't know, but it still doesn't seem to me that everyone is actually pulling in the same direction. Then again, perhaps it's just a case of giving G&T enough time & money to gradually turn the mess they've inherited around, but I can't see either of 'em hangin' about for long if Mr Bloom fails to splash the cash in January. I think we're f***ed if he doesn't quite frankly.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
So many seemed resigned to relegation, why? Did last season teach you nothing?

We're a long way from relegation at this stage.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

I'm sorry, but that's simply burying your head in the sand.

12 defeats from 22 tells us that we are very much relegation fodder. If we keep this up, we will end up with approximately 40 points, which may even finish us bottom.

I'm not convinced that we will be able to get the necessary players in January either. I really think we will go down this time round.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Agreed, and our current crop of players are being made out to be much worse than they really are, in my opinion. I mean we've just bossed the majority of the game against two top six sides, whose fans wouldn't of complained if their teams had drawn and would of only moaned a little if they'd lost. We deserved at least a point on Saturday. Watching them play, they just look extremely short on confidence, only a couple of them will put their foot on the ball and slow the game down a little.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I hope Poyet signs a really flair south american player who no one's heard of.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Additionally, what with Barry Lloyd has a great deal of clout when it comes to the recruitement of players, & rumours of power-struggles & ill-feeling occurring between him & previous managers: it doesn't seem to me like a very effective way of providing any football club with a solid base for success. Whether such events have happened - I wouldn't know, but it still doesn't seem to me that everyone is actually pulling in the same direction. Then again, perhaps it's just a case of giving G&T enough time & money to gradually turn the mess they've inherited around, but I can't see either of 'em hangin' about for long if Mr Bloom fails to splash the cash in January. I think we're f***ed if he doesn't quite frankly.

Yes this power struggle between Lloyd and the managers is well documented, and however close Lloyd and Bloom might be, our player recruitment, which I am lead to believe WAS directed by Lloyd, has clearly not worked.

I for one would be astonished if GP allowed it to continue, and also Bloom for that matter. He after all, has a massive stake in this. It all boils down to where he sees the blame lying. The manager, or that piss-head excuse for a Chief Scout.

I know which one I would be moving on first.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Right so now everybody starts blaming Lloyd now. Thanks for the heads up for the next scape goat, I'll start making my effigy of him now.

we need a couple of players and for the rest of the team to start playing as they clearly can do. Its not rocket science and the team is clearly starting to play better, but it will take time to get right.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What we need is a left sided midfielder to give a bit of shape and a rock of a centre midfielder who will get the ball off the opposition by whatever means and give it to said left winger, Bennett or Dicker to create the chances. No doubt if we do get one some on here will go into meltdown that he is crap because he don't get 20 goals a season + 20 assists but there we go.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Yes this power struggle between Lloyd and the managers is well documented, and however close Lloyd and Bloom might be, our player recruitment, which I am lead to believe WAS directed by Lloyd, has clearly not worked.

I for one would be astonished if GP allowed it to continue, and also Bloom for that matter. He after all, has a massive stake in this. It all boils down to where he sees the blame lying. The manager, or that piss-head excuse for a Chief Scout.

I know which one I would be moving on first.

Thanks for clarifying that for me hon. Funnily ennuf, what you've said doesn't come as a major surprise frankly. My gut feeling has been that there's been something rotten at the core for a very long time now, & it's high time our Chairman took a firm lead & sorted this shit out once & for all. Unless, of course, he fancies the prospect of Accrington on a wet tuesday night.. :facepalm:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
left sided midfielder experienced centre back a ball playing midfielder and maybe even a striker then we will be average which is good enough to avoid the drop.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We'll have to wait to see who he brings in during the transfer window.

I'm worried because I thought a lot of the problem was underperforming players capable of playing better. Alas, Poyer and Taricco don't seem to have worked any magic with our defence.

And what's happening in Zaragoza? They got thumped 6-0 by Real Madrid, so the stand-in coach doesn't seem to have it in him. I look at our situation, I look at Zaragoza's and it worries me.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Are they underperforming?

Is Whing, Elphick/Virgo underperforming? Maybe thats where they are. Simply not good enough. Add to that McNulty not being fit and having no real mixer of a midfielder and thats why we are so easy to beat. Going forward, yes a decent team, but its when you concede goals that you tend to lose games. Defensively we are a shambles.

Going down last year would have been bad, but going down this....

We need a commanding centre half, a right back, and maybe two midfielders (left side and a real break it up mixer of a player) To get them, Poyet must be working hard on it now..........infact everything must be in place now.

If we lose to Orient (which I actually feel we will given our record), then it becomes a even higher priority

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
I’ve got a feeling that regardless of how much we spend in January we will be relegated. We can’t beat teams above us, we have struggled against the weaker teams in this division.
I really can’t see where we will get the 30+ points we will need to survive.

by that I take it you mean we are one of the weaker teams, 'cos there are only three below us. To be honest, who will want to come to us anyway in the window?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We have played 7 league games under Poyet, won 2 and lost 5 which doesn't sound good. However all the teams we lost to are in the top 6 so I'm not that worried yet.

I dont know why your name is the optimist, should be Mr common sense. So far we have played 5 of the top 6 and unsurprisingly lost, we have won all the games we should have one, were unlucky to lose at colchester and unlucky to lose at swindon, will people please get some perspective

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
left sided midfielder experienced centre back a ball playing midfielder and maybe even a striker then we will be average which is good enough to avoid the drop.

Oh please if we get all of those in jan or over the summer we copuld easily go up the season after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here