Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet - Now its time to get SERIOUS

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
I too am really excited about this appointment. I'm now wishing for an outcome where Poyet makes his mark, generates performances & results from the team that we can be proud of and he acquires a real affection for our club along the way as we start our new era at Falmer.

I have thought for a long while that there have been 2 key things missing since Wilkins went:

Decent coaching & fitness - have they played like a team consistently? NO. Did we have more than our fair share of hamstring / tendon injuries last season? YES. Have we underachieved for the last 18 months? ABSOLUTELY.

Attitude - I don't know about anybody else, but if I feel the team have worn the shirt with pride and gone through the wringer during a game but still lost, I won't be too unhappy. But when you get the impression that not all of the players are giving their all, then I feel they are taking the piss out of me and all other supporters. Looking back at the 1st Adams era, you could tell that they were desperate to win and play for each other. I haven't had that impression for a long while.

With Poyet, I reckon he'll have the nouse and desire to address both these issues. To stamp out any Johnny Big-B*ll*cks attitude from the players and getting them to properly earn their keep.

So long to the Brighton Seaside Holiday Camp - Hello to the return of BHAFC!!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I'd just like to say WELL DONE to Bloom for this decision. I did not agree with the dismissal of King Russell but I have been saying all week that the only way to replace him was to go for an unproven boss who could turn out to be brilliant. Any proven manager who is any good would not be looking for a league one job, and any proven manager who would join us would not be that good. We could have got a Tilson or an Adkins in to do a steady job, keep us up, maybe even flirt with the play-offs next season. But that's not enough for a team with Falmer coming and money behind them.

Gus is a risk, as anyone with no managerial experience is. And we have to accept it could be a total disaster. But I admire him for going out and getting useful experience as a number two and now starting at a sensible level - as opposed to a Gareth Southgate type who just get a top job thrown at them without doing anything to earn it. I think he's intelligent, no-nonsense and I think he'll improve us no end. But what I am most excited about is the fact that we've gone for someone who just COULD be sensational. And I don't know about anyone else, but I'd always rather we failed whilst trying to do something special than settled for mediocrity from the start.

Don't always agree with you - but that's a very good post. Particularly the last sentence.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
inspired appointment, I think we've landed a potential gem there and I'm more hopelessly optomistic about Albions chances now than normal....
Can I suggest a new Uruguay flag smilie?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Almost well made :laugh:

Just the Slade one that i "rephrased" to place the majority of the blame on the dickoesque players who get drunk the night before training and phone up sick...

COME ON GUSTAVO POYET (prounounced Poy-yay)
COME ON YOU SEAGULLS!:clap::clap:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bloom's quote yesterday about saying he'd never appoint a manager without experience but then "rules are there to be broken" made me chuckle because that's not really the soundbite you want to hear when the club have both an on-field and off-field discpline problem.

The Poyet appointment is a massive gamble, taken by a professional gambler. I'd say the Bloom era is now only really about to start. If it goes well you could see Wise coming in for Hinsh as Director Of Football. I'm slightly concerned that Taricco is Poyet's No.2 - I would have liked an older head.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
This is a fantastic and bold appointment by Bloom. You would expect nothing less. Bloom has AMBITION and has set the Bar high. I just wish some of our fans would share in his ambition and stop being so apologetic and accepting of SHIT.

We CAN get to the premiership and we WILL. We can be a big as Portsmouth, Wigan, Hull , why the hell not ?.

We should NOT be satisfied with scratching around at the arse end of the 3rd division and aiming as mid table as some sort of wonderful achievement with a 22500 stadium just over a year away.

Slade ?, he did well last season but this season was UTTER cack. Nice guy yes, get us promoted, no way.

I hope Poyet will bang some heads in the next week. Slade was liked but not respected. Slade never played a professional game of football in his life.

Poyet 187 games for Chelsea and Spurs and 54 goals. Also 26 games for Uruguay and 3 goals. The pedigree is there and maybe Dickenson and Cox and the like will respect that record.

I predict great things and can still see a play off push this season now.

A 3rd round FA Cup game should be on also.

Bloom has set his stall out with his first appointment and it is very exciting.

Great times ahead for the Albion.

Have you noticed the current positions of Portsmouth,Wigan and Hull?
I know Bloom is a gambler but appointing two men with no previous experience
is really taking a chance.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is what we have been missing all season. A superb and disciplined performance.

We have a class manager and asistant now. I do not want to say I told you so as its early days but I never understood why people wanted to persist with Slade, Booker and White with 3 wins in 17 games, 7 red cards and schoolboy defending.

The difference was staggering. We have a decent set of players and that showed today. Kuipers was outstanding and the midfield did well but the attack is the real jewel in the crown. Murray oozed class today and I hope he can now take us seriously and knuckle down.

I believe the play offs is very much game on now and if you can get anything around 20/1 on us getting promotion still I would lay into it.

This is the start of BHAFC becoming a major force in league football again and is the most exciting times since the mid/late 70's for a BHAFC fan.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This is what we have been missing all season. A superb and disciplined performance.

We have a class manager and asistant now. I do not want to say I told you so as its early days but I never understood why people wanted to persist with Slade, Booker and White with 3 wins in 17 games, 7 red cards and schoolboy defending.

The difference was staggering. We have a decent set of players and that showed today. Kuipers was outstanding and the midfield did well but the attack is the real jewel in the crown. Murray oozed class today and I hope he can now take us seriously and knuckle down.

I believe the play offs is very much game on now and if you can get anything around 20/1 on us getting promotion still I would lay into it.

This is the start of BHAFC becoming a major force in league football again and is the most exciting times since the mid/late 70's for a BHAFC fan.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here