Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet - Now its time to get SERIOUS

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No management experience, never played at this level before, no budget for players if Coppell rumours are true

rumours that are only true if Bloom told fibs when saying how Coppell turned it down straight away.

experience is light but he'd has coached/assistant managed at this level so knows the lay of the land.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I tend to wear a Fedora around Southwick. Like the one Indiana Jones wears.

You may have seen me.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I'm delighted by the appointment. Let's get behind the new guys, be patient and put the last year or so behind us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This is a real statement of intent,,,i am so impressed with Mr Bloom, he gave Slade long enough to hang himself before he pulled the trigger, so nobody could accuse him of jumping the gun....With 31 games of the season to go and only 10 or so points of the play offs, has given Poyet and his own team every chance of sucess. Now watch the cheque book come out in Jan...Mr Bloom, you are a true fan and a top man with a brilliant sence of timeing and i belive we are going all the way to the prem under his leadership by 2013!!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Quotes

I agree US. On the training pitch the players will be being told what to do by our manager and assistant (and Steve Brown) who they grew up watching everyweek on TV. If they don't listen, respect and do as they are told they should be out of the club immediately.
I hope that by appointing a management team that has played at the highest level the culture of the club will also change and we will become a far more professional outfit.

Quotes:

“Juande trusted the players and expected that, as they’re playing in the Premier League, they would be very professional and know everything about football, but unfortunately they don’t. There are a few that do, but I would say that half the team don’t know much about football and you have to tell them everything.

“When I played at Chelsea we spoke about football all the time, but it was different at Tottenham. Some of the players have things too easy.

Gustavo Poyet confronts the lonely road ahead with new sense of relish | Football - Times Online

Poyet: My position at the moment is that I am waiting for the right challenge to present itself: as a head coach or manager of a club. I have spent two and a half years working as a number two; I have seen the manager’s job up close and I have learned from every situation that I have faced as an assistant: I’ve been working in close contact with players, studying their reactions, how they adapt and respond to change. On a tactical and strategic level, I’ve been working with two very different coaches like Dennis Wise and Juande Ramos and I am ready to get started as a manager.

Guillem: Do you have a preference as to where that might be?

Poyet: Where, how and who? That is up for discussion; a question of sitting down with the Chairman of any club that is interested, formulating a project that is in the best interests of the club and, of course, is right for me as well. It is not about how big the club is, or what division they are playing in; it is about the right club, having the best people leading the club, with a solid, realistic project. After that, the rest is down to me: it will be my responsibility to carry out that project and do the very best for the club in question.

Guillem Balague Football Website | Gus Poyet: I was never offered Leeds job

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm led to believe that one of Poyet's first questions was about how fit or otherwise the players were - a very positive sign. He had them watched at Wycombe, so he knows what the main problem is.

I think this is a great appointment in the circumstances. Look how well things worked out last time we appointed a former Spurs midfield player in his first job as a manager ...

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Were I a B&HA supporter I'd be very excited by this appointment. In Fact, even though I'm not, I am. As someone else posted, I think you'll be kicking off at Falmer in August, 2011 as a Championship side.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
I'm led to believe that one of Poyet's first questions was about how fit or otherwise the players were - a very positive sign. He had them watched at Wycombe, so he knows what the main problem is.

I think this is a great appointment in the circumstances. Look how well things worked out last time we appointed a former Spurs midfield player in his first job as a manager ...

I've been saying all season that our players aren't fit enough. It is the reason why we have been conceding so many goals late in each half.
Even Terry Skiverton said that his players were fitter than ours at Yeovil, hence the pressure they were able to put on us, in the second half.
We were one of the fittest teams in Div.1 under Wilkins and its no coincidence that we finished 7th. Under Adams and Slade, not enough attention has been paid to fitness and consequently, we have struggled.
If the first and only thing Gus does is get the players fitter, then we will be half way there. This, plus sorting the defence out and we could catch fire!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
This is a fantastic and bold appointment by Bloom. You would expect nothing less. Bloom has AMBITION and has set the Bar high. I just wish some of our fans would share in his ambition and stop being so apologetic and accepting of SHIT.

We CAN get to the premiership and we WILL. We can be a big as Portsmouth, Wigan, Hull , why the hell not ?.

We should NOT be satisfied with scratching around at the arse end of the 3rd division and aiming as mid table as some sort of wonderful achievement with a 22500 stadium just over a year away.

Slade ?, he did well last season but this season was UTTER cack. Nice guy yes, get us promoted, no way.

I hope Poyet will bang some heads in the next week. Slade was liked but not respected. Slade never played a professional game of football in his life.

Poyet 187 games for Chelsea and Spurs and 54 goals. Also 26 games for Uruguay and 3 goals. The pedigree is there and maybe Dickenson and Cox and the like will respect that record.

I predict great things and can still see a play off push this season now.

A 3rd round FA Cup game should be on also.

Bloom has set his stall out with his first appointment and it is very exciting.

Great times ahead for the Albion.

Several good points, almost all well made.

You can't really blame Slade however for people taking the piss. Mark my words, one player will push Poyet, and there'll be hell to pay. But they'll try.

THis makes everything seem better though. Crystal Palarse can do one, we're going up to win the cup for Sussex by the sea! :ascarf:

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I have never really liked Poyet, but maybe he is just what we need at the moment and will put some fire/pride back into the Albion players. Anyway, best of luck to the man and here's hoping we're now on the up.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One of Ramos' coaching techniques at Spurs was to join defenders with rope to help them play as a unit,
Virgin Media Sport | Football | Premier League | Premier League News | Poyet settled in London

Poyet's thoughts on English football are illuminating. He was quoted, by Jose Mourinho, in Gianluca Vialli's recent book on the relationship between the Premiership andSerie A, about the inability of players here to "think football". There was an important caveat that was left out. He said: "Think football, 24/7".

"Rotation. I hated it. I don't care how many players you have got, you need a core of eight and if you change it, it's bad. I couldn't complain because sometimes I was playing and Franco Zola was on the bench and I'm thinking, 'What's going on here? Something's wrong'. I didn't complain, but I didn't like it. Then there were different tactics as well: 4-4-2; 3-5-2; 3-4-3. I was thinking, 'What's going on?' You didn't know where you were playing. I saw Dennis in four different positions in the same game. The captain of Chelsea. That was bad. That was wrong."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/from-uruguay-with-love-for-the-game-feet-on-the-foothills-eyes-on-the-summit-410177.html

Tottenham Hotspur's new assistant coach Gus Poyet has praised the improved defensive displays by his side since the arrival of a new management team.

Spurs have kept three clean sheets out of four since the departure of Martin Jol and the arrival of Juande Ramos, with Poyet impressed by the upturn in performances.

http://www.football.co.uk/tottenham_hotspur/poyet_praises_spurs_defence_255466.shtml

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Several good points, almost all well made.

You can't really blame Slade however for people taking the piss. Mark my words, one player will push Poyet, and there'll be hell to pay. But they'll try.

THis makes everything seem better though. Crystal Palarse can do one, we're going up to win the cup for Sussex by the sea! :ascarf:

Almost well made :laugh:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
One of Ramos' coaching techniques at Spurs was to join defenders with rope to help them play as a unit,
Virgin Media Sport | Football | Premier League | Premier League News | Poyet settled in London

Poyet's thoughts on English football are illuminating. He was quoted, by Jose Mourinho, in Gianluca Vialli's recent book on the relationship between the Premiership andSerie A, about the inability of players here to "think football". There was an important caveat that was left out. He said: "Think football, 24/7".

"Rotation. I hated it. I don't care how many players you have got, you need a core of eight and if you change it, it's bad. I couldn't complain because sometimes I was playing and Franco Zola was on the bench and I'm thinking, 'What's going on here? Something's wrong'. I didn't complain, but I didn't like it. Then there were different tactics as well: 4-4-2; 3-5-2; 3-4-3. I was thinking, 'What's going on?' You didn't know where you were playing. I saw Dennis in four different positions in the same game. The captain of Chelsea. That was bad. That was wrong."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/from-uruguay-with-love-for-the-game-feet-on-the-foothills-eyes-on-the-summit-410177.html

Tottenham Hotspur's new assistant coach Gus Poyet has praised the improved defensive displays by his side since the arrival of a new management team.

Spurs have kept three clean sheets out of four since the departure of Martin Jol and the arrival of Juande Ramos, with Poyet impressed by the upturn in performances.

http://www.football.co.uk/tottenham_hotspur/poyet_praises_spurs_defence_255466.shtml

I think i just had an orgasm at my computer. This man is perfect. He doesn't have a fancy tactic, or a flair idea. Its not frilly and well cut out. ITs gritty, its strong, its bulky and it might be ugly to begin with. But f*** me this man is going to take us places with those comments. Settled back 4? yes he can.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove

From someone who was not copnvinced by this appointment, thanks for the links as the more I read the better I feel, especially with regard to his importance placed on the defence!

Bigsul

Nov 2, 2009
First post, cause I'm a happy man. Agree with what you said. I'm bloody excited actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here